Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rebuttal on article in Tai Chi Magazine

You don't know me like that

Mr. Wasson. I wrote an article and you obviously didn't like it and proceeded to attack me personally. In my article I passed on what other masters had said. I do believe that stomping of the foot on a regular basis, especially on hard surfaces will lead to repetitive stress knee injuries over time. I also believe the use of horizontal figure 8 knee rotations are also more likely to cause knee problems, especially in low stances. These comments are my own, but I can also state that the leg raises in HunYuan also pose difficulties, especially for older practitioners. I have also observed the horizontal knee pattern in earlier films of Feng. With regard to brain injury both Feng and Zhang have stated that excessive body with head shaking and stamping can cause brain problems (especially from a Qigong point of view, which seeks balance and avoids overdoing) . I don't know if it is true or not, but this is what they believe and is certainly open to differences in view as well as further studies. Your condemning me for the statement seems misdirected. As a writer I passed along what was being said. You don't have to insult me for reporting what I was told. Furthermore, I do not run Tai Chi Magazine. If your article was rejected it had nothing to do with me. Perhaps your personal anger and attack may have caused some difficulty with the article being printed. Marvin Smalheiser has not always seen fit to publish all the the articles I have submitted to Tai Chi Magazine, but I never took personal offense. I have great respect for all Taiji, especially Chen style. I am always gladdened when Chen style students have come up to me and told me they got interested in the Art because of my earlier articles. I have written as many glowing articles about Chen Xiao Wang (especially for the Chen Style Research publication) as I have about Feng Zhiqiang. CXW stayed in my house in his first visit to the US in 1988. I have studied with him in the 1990s and consider both he and Ren Guang Yi friends and believe they will tell you the same. I have also studied with Ma Hong and Chen Zheng Lei among others. In my personal preferences I have never said one style or teacher was better than another and never attacked another teacher in print. You indicated truthfully that you do not know me or my credentials. Thats clearly true, but you have the nerve to attack me personally and make fun of my family name. You can assess my 40 plus years of qualifications at [B]www.jjustinmeehan.com[B] Please read these over, decide whether I have been a friend or foe of Chen Taijiquan and then speak with your Shirfu and decide whether in this short lifetime you would prefer that we be friends who can share sometimes differing views and opinions or whether you still feel the need to personally disrespect me. Either way I would very much look forward to meeting you personally.

I'm not sure what's more retarded...the fact you're stressing over a post made over 8 years ago that doubtful anybody even remembers and few read to begin with or the fact you actually believe stomping is going to cause traumatic brain injury. Do you hide when you see your shadow? Next thing you're going to say is iron palm causes blindness....

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    I'm not sure what's more retarded...the fact you're stressing over a post made over 8 years ago that doubtful anybody even remembers and few read to begin with or the fact you actually believe stomping is going to cause traumatic brain injury. Do you hide when you see your shadow? Next thing you're going to say is iron palm causes blindness....
    Perhaps Tai Chi in general causes brain damage.......or dementia!

Any one who feels the need to defend himself by responding to an eight year old post has to have had a few screws come loose!

I think tomorrow I will write an angry post about a kid I knew in first grade, apparently time is no factor here so I will finally get back at him after 44 years.......

......TAKE THAT RICHARD HOOD!!!!

....see I haven't forgotten you!!!

...and you're next CHRIS JURAKPT,LMOP!!!

well, since no one else has said it yet...

2001 called, it wants its thread back!

and Scot_, I'll deal with you directly, my pretty (and your little dog too!)

New Taiji Research Alert!!!

It turns out that, despite centuries of anecdotal experience to the contrary, that practicing taiji whilst being struck on the head a with a large wooden mallet can actually cause brain damage; the authors of the study also found that it engenders climate change, knocks your daughter up and leaves her, causes your IRA to tank and gives Gene Ching a rash on his left testicle!!

You're so wrong tgy

It's the right one.

I love when people ttt old threads. It's like recycling and I'm all for recycling.

I gotta go scratch now.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

lol stomping really hard causes brain injury

you know what else causes brain injury
    fighting

mebbe this guy should not do martial arts especially chinese martial arts

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

I thought Jan Silberstorff was Grandmaster Chen's first western disciple? I believe he went through the ceremony back in 1993, and lived in the village for a handful of years. Being a student of Master Ren, Guangyi, I am not trying to cause a ruffled feathers, but I hate when people pad there resumes. Maybe Mr. Wasson meant the first USA disciple.

Now, I think both Mr. Meehan and Mr. Wasson have there points. Fajin and stamping should be safe if you have the correct practice method ingrained but if not alot of issues can arise. If you stamp forcefully and allow the weight to go with the foot that COULD cause some knee issues, since the weight is coming down the leg as the reaction power moves up it; the knee, hip or ankle can easily get sandwiched in-between the weight dropping power and reaction power from the ground. If any of the joints are off line or weak then you can get as Mr. Meehan put (repetitive stress) injuries to any of the 3 joints of the leg. That is only if your practice method is not correct. In Lao and Xin Jia Er Lu (Cannon-fist) and Xing Yi Quan there are moves that stamp with weight going into the leg and I have had no problems from that kind of practice but I do have 14yrs of direct training with Master Ren and Grandmaster Chen as well as other notable Chen masters and Xingyi and Bagua masters.

On Fajin only if the power produced gets stuck in the body is there a possibility of health issues, obviously if your head shakes like a bobble doll that is not good for the brain, since it can cause whiplash like problems on the neck and concussive effects on the brain itself. If you watch youtube you can see what I am saying. Alot of novices try to make too much power without a clear path out of the body. Grandmaster Chen instructed me to hone my fajin by only expressing the last few inches of movement and link my energy ,body and eyes to the release point. Then the head is fixed and can't shake and it makes it harder to externalize the power production, which I did and most do when they start to learn.
    Just my 2cents worth
    Mike Rosario-Graycar

as for brain injury

first off, as to the proposed brain injury occurring as the result of fajing and / or foot stomping: suspending disbelief for the moment, I'd like to see what anyone advocating the possibility of that happening would like to propose as the specific physiological mechanism for that happening as the result of either self-induced head movement or stomping the ground; second, I'd like to see a single shred of evidence as to these being the causative reasons in any of the extant medical literature to dat; heck, I'd even take "research" from PRC () or an anecdotal case-study; but I'm not holding my breath, because for some strange reason, so-called "internal" TCMA folk seem to have this bizarre predilection for proscription of the must inane activities for fear of causing some long-term calamity; I mean, get real: that anyone could actually whip their head around to the extent that they might actually cause brain damage is completely ludicrous from a biomechanical, neurophysiological and pshychobehavioral perspective; consider the thousands of professional level athletes who engage in activities where they subject themselves to far higher velocities, torque stresses, etc. and who don't end up with brain damage, and it really puts the probability so far down the scale, it's practically negligible;

BTW, I'm not entirely sure which of the above illustrious, lineage top-heavy types are advocating this perspective; nor do I care, really; but just in the event that one of them gets bent out of shape about my opinion, not that they think I am attacking them personally, since they all seem to have gotten their collective panties in a bunch (I luv the "you don't know me" tag line, like it's the Jerry Springer show, LOL);

when I have a minute, I'll address the equal silliness about stomping causing "knee damage"...

I think it is call the: "If I write an article in a magazine I'll be taken seriously!" syndrome....

....And then there is the: "My lineage is better than yours!" syndrome....

....the: "I've been training longer than you!" syndrome....

....the: "I'm smarter than you!" syndrome....

....the: "What do you know, you're an idiot!" syndrome....

....and the: "I'm more popular than you!" syndrome, variously called "I'm more famous than you!", "I have more friends than you!", "Mom always liked me better!", "Nobody likes you anyway!" syndrome.

In my experience all of these provide some indication of brain dysfunction, a syndrome more commonly referred to as "immaturity"!

Of course none of these apply to ME, ME, ME!!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 08-13-2009 at 08:14 PM.

I'm gonna dig up Fred Astaire's corpse and punch it right in the face as hard as I can because he totally dances completely different than anyone else ever did and seeing as while im on a rant about stupid crap im gonna write a completely non-paragraphical (new word!) rambling sentence filled with irrelevant musings about people who are unknown outside of a circle of 5 and other people who are some kind of legends in taiji circles and so on. anyway, to continue on with my long and blathering post that is highly irrelevant and non-paragraphical and poorly structured, although not entirely badly spelled and only because i have firefox which has spell correction as a plug in which is cool, despite the fact that no one has really invented a good grammar correction tool yet, but I'm sure it's coming....now where was I? Oh yeah, the petitions to the moderators...no wait. Ok, even this much is too much for me, I can't do this anymore so I'm gonna stop. OK? OK then. Cheers then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I'm gonna dig up Fred Astaire's corpse and punch it right in the face as hard as I can because he totally dances completely different than anyone else ever did and seeing as while im on a rant about stupid crap im gonna write a completely non-paragraphical (new word!) rambling sentence filled with irrelevant musings about people who are unknown outside of a circle of 5 and other people who are some kind of legends in taiji circles and so on. anyway, to continue on with my long and blathering post that is highly irrelevant and non-paragraphical and poorly structured, although not entirely badly spelled and only because i have firefox which has spell correction as a plug in which is cool, despite the fact that no one has really invented a good grammar correction tool yet, but I'm sure it's coming....now where was I? Oh yeah, the petitions to the moderators...no wait. Ok, even this much is too much for me, I can't do this anymore so I'm gonna stop. OK? OK then. Cheers then.
    Actually...I would rather you continue...........PLEASE!!!