Thread: Hello Everyone (new to group).

Hello Everyone (new to group).

Hello everyone!!!! I was wondering if anyone has heard of a small city in China called Citong (ancient name). The name of the city now is QuanZhou. Home of the East and West pogodas and kaiyaun Temple (hope spelling is correct). The reason I'm asking is that I have had a difficult time talking with others about my style and lineage due to the different recording's of the fujian or Fukien Shaolin Temple and the martial arts connected with our lineage. The core of our style is Lohan Quan, Shaolin Quan, Di Shi Quan (dog boxing), and weapon sets. We also offer Tong Bei Quan, Chang Quan, and Zr Na Men (naturaul boxing) of the late GrandMaster Wan. I would welcome any information on the Citong Temple of Fujian.

Thanks.
    Citong Shifu.

I'm not familiar with Citong Temple

Do tell us more about your lineage. I know there's a lot of interest in Dog boxing and Ziranmen amongst our readers. In fact, we just ran a story on Ziranmen and Wan Lai Shang in our current issue, Jan Feb 2006. We also did one on Dog boxing back in our May June 2005 issue, that was well received.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Hi, I practice Wuzuquan and have visited your city on a few occasions, most recently last December for the wushu tournament that was held there along with the Wuzuquan conference.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Hi Don

I would be interested in seeing the Chinese characters for these names. Do you
    have them.

Wu Mei
    Miao Ji Hua - Zhi Shan Monk
    Fang Shi Yu
    Hui Kai Monk
    Zheng Yi Shen
    Cai Ruo Shui - Zhuang Zi Shen
    Cai ying Xia

cheers,
    r.

r.(shaolin)

No, I dont have the characters. I will talk with my Shifu and see if he'll write them for me.

Ron.

Ron,

I was practioner of Fujian Taizuquan and many other fujian based arts in the past, having a deep interest since my teacher Wu Jianhua passed to ensure the integrity of his teachings.

I have visited Fujian many times including studying in Dishuquan in Fuzhou with Hu Chengwu (Inner Disciple of Chen Yijiu), and also had the last exchange in 2003from the last remaining disciple of Master Miao Yue (my grandmaster) in Zongfu Si who also taught in Kaiyuan Si in Quanzhou. I have been to the other shaolin locations : Fuqing Shaolin and Putian Shaolin. In addition I travelled to Yongtai (Huzunquan), Huian, Zhangzhou, Quanzhou and Longyan exchanging with various practitioners of min nan martial arts.

I also studied Luohanquan of both the Master Gao Can (Zhejiang) and Fuzhou (Master Da Zhi).

Since the Abbott of Quanzhou's Shaolin Chan Si has been holding annual meets there has been a lot of promotion of the martial arts from the area, with specific gatherings and exchanges of wuzuquan and other methods. The new school in the area is alo expected to churn many students in the local martial arts.

The quanzhou shaolin fold is fairly known and there is no need to feel as if it is not known nor recognised (well at least in South East Asia and Australia it is well recognised).

Regarding the lineage it may be a bit wierd because of the historical problems with anyone trying to base an art on fantasial characters. Either Zheng Yishen was not explained and then considered a legendary basis or otherwise. It does not matter though as the promotion of Fujianese arts is a good thing.

One of my students who is polish recently published an article on Dog boxing which was well recieved by the Polish martial arts community. In terms of Ziranmen there is a non Du Xinwu lineage from Emeishan, where the style though share many common features but have some other developments.

Also Ron, where is your tongbeiquan from since that is not an art of Wan Laisheng (His arts are predominantly, Ziranmen, Liuhemen, Luohan Shenda, Taijiquan and Other Shaolin).

For any of the arts that you practice outline some distinguishing contents, be it basics or forms or otherwise to see the alignment between fujianese styles and we can have a better understanding of what you represent as Caitong Shaolin.

Regards
    Wu Chanlong
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 12-18-2005 at 03:41 AM.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    you mentioned (I believe) Jee Siem, Ng Mui, and Fong Sai-Yuk. I would like to know more about these persons, if you have any info.

Ron,

As soon as you said the following:

"but I have found that most of the original Quanzhou Shaolin material isn't being taught anymore"

It becomes too marketing like.

Also where did Zhuang Zhi Shen learn the following:

Shaolin, Changquan, Tongbeiquan, Tanglangquan, Taiji, Baguaquan, xingyiquan,

Which you would have to state which family/variation of each of the above.

Also since the above have nothing to do with Citong Shaolin there is no such waiting for verification or validation (Which sounds dubious already). Either a person knows such simple facts or they don't, only need to validify when insecure/unsure about it (or a marketing tool again).

Thanks
    Wu Chanlong
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 12-21-2005 at 02:03 AM.