Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapons for now

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    A very short stick (yawara/kubotan) is marv and easy to use/lose afterwards.
    The tactical flashlight can also be a substitute for a kubotan. blind them with the light, hit them with the butt of the shaft.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

nice comments, thank you. You all got a point. To scare someone you could also do a 540 kick or some flashy stuff instead of always taking your chain whip with you.

Lots of things will be useless since you can use your barehands just as good.

A jacket, flashlight or coins are good to distract and attack right after distraction.

And I think it's definetly true that you put your attention away from defending if you will focus on the weapon. But therefore you just have to learn how to fight with your weapons as if they were a part of you.

I think I'll just use my own body and if the opponent is to strong or forms a serious threathment I'd throw some coins, use my jacket or blind with the flashlight I have(it's strong enough) if there's nothing better around. Then I can win some time and run away..
    Live martial arts..

Wel this guy just basically intimidated the other guy, and he mainly avoided most of his punches and then took him down with one. I thihnk the whole intimidation think helped alot though.

http://my.break.com/Content/ViewCont...gfufighter.wmv

Quote Originally Posted by wuqigong
    nice comments, thank you. You all got a point. To scare someone you could also do a 540 kick or some flashy stuff instead of always taking your chain whip with you.
    umm... No. Presence causes intimidation. For example, since I am built, many guys at the club I work will not even think about messing with me. I've even had a guy tell me that he would whoop my ass if I wasn't so big. Look confident. Look strong. This is what will intimidate them. Throwing a 540 kick will just get you tackled.

Lots of things will be useless since you can use your barehands just as good.
    And lots have use, just nothing in that initial list, except MAYBE the jacket, provided the opportunity presents itself. It's even better if it's HIS jacket - pull it ovver his head and hit him while he can't see.

I think I'll just use my own body and if the opponent is to strong or forms a serious threathment I'd throw some coins, use my jacket or blind with the flashlight I have(it's strong enough) if there's nothing better around. Then I can win some time and run away..
    if it's a keychain, I doubt it's strong enough, but that's on you. I've got $15 dollar flashlights that aren't that bright. The one that is bright enough is a tactical that I paid $40 for. The problem with coins, the jacket, etc. is that you have to have the time to get them ready, if they are not already in your hand. You likely will not have that kind of time to spare.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

my roomate carries a steel fighting fan with him practically everywhere he goes, along with a whip chain, and his fists and feet.

you just have to learn the right weapons if you want to use chinese martial art weapon in modern day.

me...i dont carry anything. but i look at my surroundings every where i go and look for weapons i can use.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

How effective are fans really? I mean it would seem hard to cut or even fight at all with.

its not about cutting.

the fan, when closed, is basically a foot long piece of steel. the boom it emits when opened will suprise anyone not expecting it, if this happens, HELLO SIDEKICK, it is very loud. then when its open, it can easily double as a shield.

these are the most basic examples of application as a weapon. there are others. not to mention when its hot out you can walk around with it already drawn.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

But let's say if you block with it wouldn't the paper just tear, or is it much more sturdy than that? Not to get off topic I've just always really been curious as to how someone uses it in fight.

Blog Entries
    the fan is actually a pretty good weapon from a street fighter point of view.

you cannot go to jail for having a steel fan. but i can be used when closed as a short little steel stick, able to deflect baseball bats, knives, sticks, or even punches.

don't knock it until you try it.

In a combat fan its not paper, you would use a type of strudy canvas, or silk. both very strong fabrics immune to simple tearing.

the spines only rest roughly an inch apart when open so it doesnt leave much room to work with anyhow.

even with thrusting with a knife, you can only go so far as up to your fist, so the blade would need to be long enough. Also if the blade is caught between the spines a simple twist and the assailant is disarmed.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

I'll have to get one and try it out sometime. I wasn't saying it's a bad weapon I was just curious as to how it's used and how effective it is.

ya, check one out sometime.

you can even get bamboo fans. not as strong or heavy but still pretty good.

Im always happy to share any knowledge i have with fellow practitioners.

after all, thats what its all about right? sharing info to be the best we can.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

You might have the wrong impression about how to fight with a fan. Most of the time it will be closed, you wouldn't try to block a punch with an open fan.

Hold it closed with about an inch sticking out the bottom of your fist. Makes for a very penetrating hammerfist.

Attack pressure points and nerve endings. Strike, poke, hammer, and the open fan can be used to temporarily blind (as in put it in front of his face so he can't see while you kick him in the jimmy).
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

put your forarm behind the fan to brace it and you will be suprised at what you can block.

not saying this is a primary function, as personally id rather stop hit with the fan. but it is possible.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Speaking of pressure points are there any good websites that help point out specific useful pressure pounts you can use? Or a quality website that just explains pressure points in general?