Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapons for now

I carry a folding knife. When I walk at night I also use a cane or walking stick (Bo Staff). My knees aren't in great shape so it serves a dual purpose.

In your vehicle you could carry a hammer, claw gardening tool, and a baseball bat without too many questions being asked. Put a baseball glove with a ball in it in the car to make your story more believable. If questions are asked, these are all things you can justify. Do not use the word "weapon" with any authority types.
    Figure Eight

I carry a knife, and I make my daughter carry pepper spray cut 50% with military grade tear gas. And I don't care if she is not allowed to carry it to school. I'd rather have her sneak it in and out and have it when she needs it, than not.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'd have to check Texas weapon laws, but maybe I could keep my tiger hook swords in the car. I have a staff I take on walks alot. But if I were in a tight spot, I owuld find a rock of reaosnable size, throw it at them, and while they're distracted get in their inside and take them down.

because of my current employment (plumber) i carry heavy pliers, a wrench and a boxcutter most of the time. i also have a hatchet in my trunk with a leather sheath over the blade that i believe would do some good yet non lethal damage.

heh i used to be a butcher, would'nt want to jump one of those either.

Keys.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Check the Crimbo issue of martial arts mag.

craig
    Nope, don't have it, and I'm not going to order it from over here, so if it isn't online perhaps you could enlighten us as to what it says!?

In my experience, keys are a pretty useless as a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by neit
    because of my current employment (plumber) i carry heavy pliers, a wrench and a boxcutter most of the time. i also have a hatchet in my trunk with a leather sheath over the blade that i believe would do some good yet non lethal damage.

heh i used to be a butcher, would'nt want to jump one of those either.
    Heheheh, used to work as a gardener/forester... apart from the obvious billhooks, chainsaws, axes etc, the polearms are tremendous!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    The tactical flashlight can also be a substitute for a kubotan. blind them with the light, hit them with the butt of the shaft.
    Yeah, like I said, they're everywhere! I like my little maglight: just sticks out on each side of my fist and is really tough.

It'd probably be pretty hard to blind someone in the middle of the day, but I could see a maglight doing some damage.

mini mags mag a great fist pack, not to mention the 3/4 inch wide metal nub that sticks out the bottom of your hand can do some damage in itself.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

An LED flashlight will blind someone temporarily if it gets in their eyes.

As for money shuriken, why not? Shuriken don't need to be sharp, they just have to distract and annoy long enough to let you do something else. And whoever you're throwing them at doesn't know it's a hand full of change, for all they know you could have a pocket full of nails or poison or whatever! Especially at night, a reaching-into-pocket-and-throwing action will make almost anyone flinch regardless of what's actually thrown.

Jackets are useful for removing someones sight, tying someone up, striking and annoying. I know people who can actually tie a person up in about half a second if they get too close. Difficult to do. But doing a 'jersey' move on someone (watch hockey fights and you'll see it) just pull someones shirt over their head, or do this with your or their jacket then move in and do something else.

Keys are ok but not ideal because for one, they're small, two, they're likely to break if you use them as a weapon and three they're not conveniently held, so it may be possible that you hurt yourself with them in trying to use them as a weapon.

I would not recommend a credit card for trying to cut someone with, keys would be a much better choice. Credit cards would be an ok distraction if you're good at throwing them. A quick, very high rotation throw to their eyes will make em flinch. And trust me it hurts more than it looks like if it hits you, especially on the brige of the nose.

A metal pen can be used like a tessen (japanese fan), but make sure it's durable enough before trying. You can use it to lock small joints or use it to hit pressure points, or you can use it like a shuriken. I figure you might as well hold onto it and hit pressure points in the face and neck with it, as those sturdy, heavily made German pens hitting someone just below the nose will make a lot of people cooperate pretty quick.

Kind of a useless ploy but worth a shot, the clear, rectangular bic lighters explode if you throw em at the ground hard enough, so throw one at the feet of your adversary and if you're lucky it'll surprise them. Don't get any crazy ideas, it's a tiny explosion and won't even burn them but it might buy you a second or two to do something. But it might not, so as always don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Yelling unnexpectedly, pretty basic stuff here, kiai, but you should only do this if you're about to maul them or they're about to hit you and you want to counter attack. The yell will be rendered useless if you were both spouting insults immediately before the confrontation, but if it was fairly silent up to the point of violence a very solid yell will startle almost everyone. Especially if the area is quiet (i.e. park, dark street, night time atm location).

One thing I have personally used to save my bacon was a can of soup, I was carrying groceries back to my home and was confronted by a group of around 6-10 people at about 9pm at night, completely dark around me. So I grabbed a can of soup and hucked it at one of their heads, the soup smashed (I thought I'd killed him, but it was just the soup can exploding) and the group scattered. So if you've ever just gone shopping and you're being attacked consider using one of the items you just bought to throw at the bad guy.

The last thing I should mention is that if your country allows concealed carry of firearms, you should buy one and have it with you at all times. For all the MA training you have, if someone with a rifle is standing 50 feet away from you, there isn't anything you can do to stop the situation if you don't have a gun or some long range weapon on you. Running will save yourself but it won't save anyone else around you. So consider that in all these hypothetical scenarios.

Make it a genuine effort to always have some kind of range extender on your person, whether it be a gun, a set of shuriken or throwing knives, or a crossbow or a catapult, whatever, just try to always have something that will allow you to bring the fight to a bad guy as far away as you can.

im a big fan of throwing my flying sidekick
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I wouldn't do a flying sidekick if it's what I think your talking about, because it's obvious and they can dodge it, and while you're in mid air they can move to whatever position to get an advantage or just shoot/stab you. I rather just get in close and knock them down.

Personally, I like throwing a party. I'm not sure how that will help when you're getting mugged though.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

I found being under the influence or intoxicated really improves and makes your drunken style authentic.

packing

I used to carry a blade everywhere, but then I got in a situation where I was brandishing and this other guy was brandishing, and it was just ridiculous. I stopped carrying one after that.

I used to carry an odd assortment of tools when I frequented worse neighborhoods. My favorite was a paint can/beer bottle opener that happened to fit neatly in my fist.

Now I don't carry anything but pocket change. Sometimes I don't even have that anymore. BTW, when I was in junior high, another student hit me in the face with some flung pocket change in a schoolyard fight. A penny caught me on the lip and stopped me cold. If that kid had any follow up, it would have been bad for me, but we were both kids and I think he was as shocked that his ploy worked as I was.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart