Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Panda

Kung Fu Panda

Just when you thought Kung Fu movies had turned the corner into respectability, along comes this:

Black To Voice Kung Fu Panda

D reamWorks Animation is developing Kung Fu Panda, an animated film featuring the voice of Jack Black, which is set for 2008, Variety reported.

The film will be influenced by cartoonish live-action movies like Kung Fu Hustle and will star Black as the voice of a lazy panda prophesied to save the Valley of Peace, the trade paper reported.

The film will be directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Melissa Cobb will produce, from a screenplay by Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab.
    ~The table saw is my weapon of
    choice

great...

... after being the vegetarian cross-dressing shark, I wonder what kind of panda Jack will be...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

2008: Kung Fu Panda

According to Variety, For the first time since it became an independent company, DreamWorks Animation has a full development slate that will help satisfy the company's two-picture-per-year release schedule through at least 2009.

As part of that transition, the company's 2008 calendar is now set, with Jack Black vehicle Kung Fu Panda joining the recently announced Madagascar 2.

Influenced by cartoonish live-action pics like Kung Fu Hustle, Panda will star Black as the voice of a lazy panda prophesied to save the Valley of Peace.

The pic will be directed by John Stevenson and Mark Osborne. Melissa Cobb will produce from a screenplay by Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

So it's an animated movie about a sloppy panda bear that does kung fu, and Jack Black is the voice? This should be intresting.

It would be cool if the bear did drunken style.

3D animated Kung Fu Panda trailer

Here is the first teaser/trailer for Kung Fu Panda
    http://animatie.blog.nl/trailers/200...-panda-trailer

Sign me up. I like Jack Black, I love kung fu, and pandas are cool in their own kinda way.

We have about a year and a half left of freedom then, before having to explain to everyone we meet that we do Kung Fu: "Yes, like the panda..." : /
    Mark

the official site is up

The trailer looks pretty funny.

http://www.kungfupanda.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Resist!

This is a bad idea. Jackie Chan is doing his parts in English. What's the point in that? We don't even get to see him in the flesh. Is it just so we can brand it to the Kung Fu community?

I say no! No to talking Kung Fu Pandas. No to Jack Black.

New trailer

Looks like they're rehashing Jackie's old food fu training article. Who remembers what film that was in?

New trailer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The trailer has definitely peaked some interest. I will be on the lookout for this one this summer.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by enoajnin View Post
    This is a bad idea. Jackie Chan is doing his parts in English. What's the point in that? We don't even get to see him in the flesh. Is it just so we can brand it to the Kung Fu community?

I say no! No to talking Kung Fu Pandas. No to Jack Black.
    WHAT? have you heard Jackie Chan do his own english dubbing? ITS FREAKING HILARIOUS!!! He does a great job. And his voice is very recognizable.

And what is wrong with Jack Black.

I did hear, however, that Angelina Jolie(Uggg, I cringe after just typing the name) is voicing one of the characters. THAT IS THE ONLY REAL REASON TO BOYCOTT THIS MOVIE!!! I refuse to support A.J. and her incredibly horrible horribleness.

why watch the movie...

...when you can play the video game.

Activision unleashes Kung Fu Panda
    Wednesday 12-Mar-2008 1:16 PM

Activision is gearing up to release Kung Fu Panda, a comedy cartoon martial arts adventure based on the film of the game name, in May.

You play as Po the Panda on a mission to become a Dragon Warrior. You journey with the Furious Five; Monkey, Tigress, Viper, Mantis and Crane, to battle against the inevitable super-evil dude, Tai Lung.

It may not feature a moody ninja that slices off the limbs of his foes, but it does have "kung fu awesomeness" and "bodacious humour" according to Activision. Though it sounds like the release was penned by Bill and Ted.

The game will pack 13 levels, as well as co-op and versus multiplayer modes and will be available for all formats and then some (PS3, 360, PC, DS, Wii and PS2, but not the NES or Atari 2600, unfortunately).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

They're great movies

I totally agree with what Stevenson says about kung fu films being archetypal tales...

Black's Kung Fu Fighting With `Panda'
    By DAVID GERMAIN – 18 hours ago

LAS VEGAS (AP) — The last thing the martial-arts fans behind "Kung Fu Panda" wanted to do was make fun of the genre they were re-imagining for the animated world.

So while their leading guy is a tubby, klutzy panda with Jack Black's voice, the filmmakers have delivered a real kung fu movie in the guise of a cartoon comedy.

Directors Mark Osborne and John Stevenson said they intended their panda hero and his comrades — including a tiger (Angelina Jolie), a viper (Lucy Liu) and a monkey (Jackie Chan) — to be the animal-world equivalent of the Asian action warriors they admire.

"With the title, it would be easy to expect maybe a parody of kung fu films," Stevenson said after a screening of "Kung Fu Panda" Tuesday night at ShoWest, an annual convention of theater owners.

"Everybody on the crew was a big martial-arts movie fan," Stevenson said. "That was one of the reasons we didn't want to do a parody, because we actually love those movies. They're great movies. They're sort of like Westerns, these great archetypal tales of good and evil and great emotion and heroism. So we wanted to honor that, not spoof it."

Due in theaters June 6, "Kung Fu Panda" is the latest computer-generated production from DreamWorks Animation, whose films include the "Shrek" flicks, "Madagascar" and "Over the Hedge."

Black provides the voice of Po, a panda in ancient China who idolizes the land's kung fu heroes but is stuck toiling in his family's noodle shop.

Fate lands the roly-poly panda an unexpected gig: He is declared the Dragon Warrior, destined to battle the evil snow leopard Tai Lung (Ian McShane), who has escaped from a prison fortress seeking vengeance against his former martial-arts master Shifu (Dustin Hoffman).

Placed under the tutelage of the dubious Shifu, Po trains alongside five true kung fu masters: Jolie's Tigress, Chan's Monkey, Liu's Viper, Seth Rogen's Mantis and David Cross' Crane.

While the movie is loaded with slapstick and wisecracks, the spirit is true to martial-arts epics that inspired the filmmakers, among them "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," "Hero" and "House of Flying Daggers."

The fight scenes are exaggerated for the animated world, but they are real action sequences, intense and often fierce. Even voice star Chan, one of Hollywood's top martial-arts figures, was impressed.

"We thought early on about asking him to help consult and help us with our action, but he really deals with the physical world. He deals with bodies and props, so the virtual world was really foreign to him," Osborne said.

"We kind of showed him some of our action when we recorded him, and he was really stunned by it. He was like, `Wow, this is cool. You're doing stuff that we can't ever do.' I think it was really fun for him to see something that was so different but really a tribute at the same time to real kung fu. ... He may have been saying that for our benefit, but he was very, very kind."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KFP at Cannes

Note the MMA at Cannes thread.

At Cannes, 'Kung Fu Panda' premiere is a kick
    David Germain, Associated Press
    Friday, May 16, 2008

(05-16) 04:00 PDT Cannes, France -- Fur might be a politically incorrect fashion statement on the red carpet at the world's most-prestigious film festival. Not when you're the star of a movie called "Kung Fu Panda," though.

DreamWorks Animation, whose past Cannes entries include the first two "Shrek" flicks and "Over the Hedge," put its adorable martial-arts hero alongside the festival's highbrow cinema entries Thursday with the premiere of the action comedy whose voice cast includes Jack Black, Angelina Jolie and Dustin Hoffman.

"Being an official selection of the Cannes Film Festival is the Good Housekeeping seal of approval," said Jeffrey Katzenberg, DreamWorks' animation mastermind. "And it's particularly unique when it's a broad commercial movie as opposed to an art film. There's tremendous, tremendous value to that."

DreamWorks uses Cannes as a launch-point for its movies, through screenings and clever stunts to catch the fancy of hordes of reporters, photographers and camera crews.

Black, who joined "Shark Tale" co-stars Jolie and Will Smith for a ride in the Mediterranean aboard an inflatable shark at the 2004 festival, this time paraded on a pier among 40 people in giant panda suits the day before the movie's Cannes premiere.

While Black hammed it up with some kung fu poses, he wisecracked that the incessant camera flashes could go a long way to solving the energy crunch.

"If you harnessed all that electricity, it would probably be enough to take a small unmanned ship to the moon and back," Black said. "It's got to be 1.21 gigawatts of light flashes. It's just going to be sick. Do we really need that many pictures? Where are all those photos going?"

Black provides the voice of Po, a panda in ancient China who idolizes his country's martial-arts heroes but is too slow and clumsy to emulate their moves, and is stuck instead toiling in his family's noodle shop. A twist of fate lands Po under the tutelage of a revered kung fu master (Hoffman), who must train the klutzy panda to battle an evil snow leopard (Ian McShane) intent on marauding and vengeance.

Po's allies include a tiger (Jolie), a viper (Lucy Liu) and a monkey (Jackie Chan), whose graceful martial-arts skills put the lumbering panda to shame.

"There's a concept which everybody responds to, the idea of this sort of soft, cuddly thing having to do this extremely active, athletic thing," said John Stevenson, who co-directed "Kung Fu Panda" with Mark Osborne.

"We saw the potential of this being the archetypal hero's journey that has been done millions of times, but we could actually do the most extreme hero's journey," Osborne said. "Take the most unlikely guy and bring him all the way to being a hero."

As cartoon heroes go, Katzenberg thinks Po can go toe-to-toe with the animation world's box-office heavyweight, the irritable ogre Shrek.

"I do think that Po the panda is going to give Shrek a run for his money, because I think that Po in a very different way is without question the most lovable character we've ever created," Katzenberg said. "Shrek's an anti-hero hero. Po is an unlikely hero. He is more in tune with what we are ourselves. He actually has to find the hero within, and I think we all have a hero within us.

"So it's just very relatable to find this kind of average guy who's working in his dad's noodle restaurant suddenly have an ambitious fantasy to be something great, only to learn that being the best version of yourself is greatness."

"Kung Fu Panda" premieres in U.S. theaters June 6.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips