Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bagua in ufc

Ghost Dog Guest

ufc

Sorry guys, I just want to exhibit my ignorance here.
    Is UFC Ultimate Fighting Championships? Is it some American thing or what? Everyone seems to slam all these ufc and mma videos (where do you get them? very curious) and yet still watch them. Can you get those videos in the UK or Ireland?
    Again, sorry that I don't know what ufc is. Please don't hit me.

count Guest

Razak,

It comes down to politics and the governing bodies for the various organizations. You can find Bagua in tournaments but you will not find it in the UFC.
    BTW, just an observation but I have seen maybe 100's of bagua practitioners and I have NEVER seen a fat one. The UFC have only allowed people say they represent CMA to gain dominance to their stars. If there are any they have had little to no experience in traditional chinese martial arts and also crosstrain in many other styles. The real NHB was in Asia in the past where fighters wore no equipment and fought until one could not fight any more. No tapping out in these battles.
    ;)

razakdigital Guest

Hmmm interesting

As I heard before the UFC has chosen fighters which gives on an advantage over the other...(it thats true) but what tournaments can you name that there have been pa kua fighters? I'd like to know...

count Guest

Razak,

I know of a couple annual events in the US that are in San Francisco and in Ohio. I'm sure there are many others. I will e-mail you information after class this weekend. You can check the back of KungFu Magazine for events and results and probably any other publication invovling martial arts. I recently saw a great video where a bagua style fighter convincingly beat a pro from the Chinese San Shou team. ;)

BTW, I find your controversial posts quite refreshing as they come from an informed source unlike some of the others. ΓΌ

Jin Guest

Ghost Dog..i'm gonna hit you!

Gark!! bwahahhaha!!..ghost dog..u r so cute..heh heh..just kidding..ermm well u can find the tapes in almost every video stores here..i dunno about in england tho..well you should ask them people in the stores ...or purchase them via internet.
    Take care :p

Jin Guest

To Count

Hi there
    where could i get the tape you mentioned?..i'm going back home this summer to see my teahcer...really want to get the tape for him.
    take care ;)

Jin Guest
    Count is right..one time i saw two burmese
    fighters fought muay thai kickboxer ...and there are tons of these stuff in thailand...like chinese kung fu vs muaythai etc.....there are some area in Bkk where you could not open other martial arts school or else these muaythai people will just bust it up..

Take care ;)

count Guest

Jim

:D Kind of an inside joke for razak since it was his teacher I was refering to. You can find this and many others at blacktaoist.com

Water Dragon Guest
    Razak, I personally feel it is that we are afraid of losing. People build up this wall of protection based on what their art supposedly does. Then, when it is time to prove it, they lose. Instead of looking at it from the point of a learning experience, they feel they have failed.

That is why you hear so many people saying that their techniques are too deadly or that tournaments will "dilute" their arts. My question is how that can be? Especially when the internal arts deal with energy rather than technique.

Perhaps that those who are afraid of an azz whooping should realize that they don't have what it takes to be a fighter. Or maybe they should just swallow their pride and learn from the experience.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Water Dragon Guest
    OOPS!!! The above post is in reference to the last post on page one. Posted by Razak.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Braden Guest
    Razak - taiwan's own full contact venue, koushou, sees bagua fighters that do quite well.

TheBigToad Guest
    His name is Thomas Rameiraz, he lives in Puetro Rico now. He was simply way to fat and unhealthy to fight in the ring, it wasn't until he bad mouthed fight promoters and other fighters that they let him fight in the UFC, where he fought Dan/Don Fry and lasted all a humiliating 10 secounds.
    From what I was told he was somewhat out of breath from just walking down to the octagon to fight..... I would guess he didn't do much cicrle walking at all, which would make sense, because 1 month of Bagua practice through a community education course probably doesn't get one ready for actual fighting...hmmmmm

TheBigToad Guest
    >>I find it hard to believe that someone so large and out of shape could be very adept at an art which places a great deal of emphasis on deft footwork...I could be wrong... <<

There has been a number of very large and thick men that have developed a tremendous amount of skill in Baguazhang(Wang Shu Jin for an example), in some ways it almost helps to be somewhat robust in body shape, however Yin Fu being extremely thin and of awesome skill would prove its in no way a necessity.

Mr. Nemo Guest
    I think Water Dragon is right. We won't fight because we're afraid we'll lose, and people like Rolls might be proven right.

Have confidence in your art!

I have very vague plans of someday taking my internal kung fu to NHB/Vale Tudo and winning. I barely started a year ago, so it might be a little premature just yet, but mark my words...

Water Dragon Guest
    I'm with ya El Nemo. I'm planning to fight again at age 30. I'm 27 now. I got straight walloped by a boxer last time. But, I took my beating like a man, learned more in those 3 minutes than I ever did in class, AND the boxer left with a healthy respect for Taiji as a fighting art.