Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used weighted vests ?

Has anyone used weighted vests ?

Has anyone used weighted vests in training, i would like to grab one , ive found them quite cheap on ebay, but im not sure they would really accomplish what i wanted, the other set i found is weighted vest + weighted shorts and that looks good but its way more expnsive.
    If it just used for jogging and cardio then its really not what i want it for, i want to use it to simulate heavier body weight, see whta it would be like packing on 40 pounds in my movement, and so when i take it off all my movements are faster , but i dont know if this is really feasible. Or if im missing the point of its use.

Thnx

No, I haven't tried weight vests, but I have got these weird weights that you can attach to your legs and arms. I think they're pretty good.

^ Don't do full power punches and kicks with weights on your wrists and ankles, though.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Yes, I have used a weighted vest for running and other drills. My past boxing coach had me wear one while I did foot work drills and while I did jump rope intervals. Wearing a vest made me feel lighter and faster once I took it off but this all depends on your performance goals.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

hmm i usd to train with weights on legs or wrists and i found the speed thing, but tbh in my opinion it wasnt permanent, maybe if i slept with the weighted vest on and wore it 24/7 then i would see a difference in the long run but otherwise the body re adapts to its normal weight. And you slow down.
    What i found made me faster is doing everything faster oer and over again without wieghts.
    The few months i did this, it was sickening training but thats what gave me real speed. Say 1 kick 10 reps as fast as possible. For like 5 sets and do this for each punch each kick.
    This gave me real slick speed.

as for what my goals are , erm to be faster stronger and moer powerful

Wearing a weight vest and wrist and ankle weights is good because they throw off your center of gravity which in turn works your core. All martial artists need a strong core.

Also, I've heard many people say "don't use wrist or ankle weights at full speed" but I've never heard of anyne getting injured from it. Is this possibly just a myth?
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox
    Also, I've heard many people say "don't use wrist or ankle weights at full speed" but I've never heard of anyne getting injured from it. Is this possibly just a myth?
    No. People hurt their elbows punching from overextending with no weights sometimes. Think what would happen if you did that with an extra 1-5lbs on your wrist.

It just increases the chances of you hurting yourself. Plus, some of the weights can slide around, and if it slides forward and smashes into your hand that can just hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    No. People hurt their elbows punching from overextending with no weights sometimes. Think what would happen if you did that with an extra 1-5lbs on your wrist.

It just increases the chances of you hurting yourself. Plus, some of the weights can slide around, and if it slides forward and smashes into your hand that can just hurt.
    Yea, I understand that the threat of injury is there but that threat is there with all physical activity. I'm not saying it's safe (nothing really is) I've just never heard of anyone getting an injury from using them. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of people saying don't do it, you'll get hurt.

Just wondering.

That injury thing makes sense, if i relax and go full power punches my elbow feels like its about to come off so i wouldnt dream about it with weights.

What you said about training the core that really makes sense ! Thanks it was info like that i was looking for.

i was gonna throw some weights in a bookbag to do chinups, but a vest would be nice too.

how cheap are they?
    where's my beer?

Title boxing has some that are reasonable.

http://store.titleboxing.com/title-weighted-vests.html

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    i was gonna throw some weights in a bookbag to do chinups, but a vest would be nice too.

how cheap are they?
    If you just want a way to do weighted chinups, grab a weighted chin/dip belt. They're cheaper, distribute the weight more evenly than a bookbag, and you can join the club of hardcore people who do weighted pullups. A weighted chin/dip belt is usually around US$30. It looks like a regular lifting belt, except it has a chain in the front instead of a belt buckle/strap.

yeah don't punch or kick with the weights, just maybe go for a run with them on and do some balance exercises

I used to train in a vest and having tried quiet a few, I would have to say it was the best kind. Instead of the ones that held soft bags around the waist, this one looked similar to a flac jacket with pockets located on the chest, stomach, top and bottom of the back. Small containers fit in the pockets and could be filled with a material of choice depending on the weight needed. Up to 40 lbs I think.

The advantage of this vest was the it distributed the weight over the trunk and allowed most if not all exercises to be do with an added benifit. The "hunting vest style" that carried it around the waist made it difficult to do a lot of training.

We also worn ankle and wrist weights (5 and 10 lbs) during the training. As for over extension, you just have to be careful until you are used to having the extra weight.

Ours were a lot like these:

http://www.weightvest.com/images/San...300/50F300.jpg
    "Pain heals, chicks dig scars..Glory lasts forever"......

Cool thread,

IMO, if you really want to get into this type of training, save up for a chain mail shirt or dress, or take the time to make your own. They are much better for the core, and they are much better for the body. This is simply because they are evenly weighted just like "clothes." I've trained with weighted vests and weighted belts, but neither are as good as chain mail. If you are doing basically any exercise, wearing chain mail will work "everything" much more effeciently and evenly. Also, I would say chuck the wrist weights. Save up and buy some iron rings or make your own. They are much better for conditioning, and you are less likely to fark up your elbows because iron rings have better movement/ range of motion than wrist weights have. Go with the ankle weights for anything padwork, bagwork, two-man, or forms where you're focusing on using your hands. They are also good for footwork drills and kicking drills as long as you keep a little bend in the knees. Take the ankle weights off for anything running though.

If you have the time to design your own pulley system as well, go for it. Talk about a total body workout! Buy yourself two tight bungee cords, tie them to a tree, stretch them out a ways, wrap one around each hand, and punch the other tree in front of you. See if you like it. Good core stuff, good core stuff. If you want, you can buy some more cords, two for your legs, one for your waist, and one for your neck. I know this is old kung fu movie stuff, but try it and see. I've trained with all of these kinds of devices over the years, and they can all enhance your training. Now, if you want to keep it simple, go to a bowling alley and ask the owner if you can borrow a shiot ball. Don't start with a 15 pounder though. Going balls to the wall with any of these devices is bad. Learning how to use them is good. Begin with some comfortable movement and gradually work your way up.

Cheers,

Tao
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 12-19-2005 at 09:17 AM.