Thread: ?'s for Dave Ross

Blog Entries

?'s for Dave Ross

Based on what you've shared with us about your experience inside of NY's chinatown, i would love to hear what you had to endure as a non chinese in a traditional CMA.

in the other thread i posted a few negative experiences i've had, and wanted to see if we've experienced some of the same things.

green cloud and mike or even chris can jump in on this and shed some light.

frank

I've had the whole range, from mild to truly offensive, to a few that resulted in blows

On the mild side, Steve Ventura and I sat in Silver Palace one day eating dim sum... a guy next to us said to his friend "look at the stupid lo faan eating dim sum"...

Ventura turned to me and in Cantonese LOUDLY said "where are the lo faan eating dim sum?"

I answered in Cantonese just as loudly, "Lo Faan eating dim sum? Where?"

I then turned to the guys and asked them "where are these lo faan?"

They sort of turned green and didn't say a word the rest of the morning....
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    Dave,

check this out. are you still connected in chinatown? if so, what are your real gung fu schools in chinatown in New York. In NY's chinatown who is the oldest school there? Who is in rivalry against each other? And, are there any gung fu ny chinatown war stories that you know of?

Here in SF the big name Chinatown gung fu schools are Yau Gung Mun, White Crane and Hung Sing. the first two are at war with each other and there has been some incredible fights. Some little excursions ended up with a few stabbings.

White Crane and Yau Gung Mun are two world champion groups in the same chinatown, and they are always trying to get the one up on people. The White Crane school has a bad habbit of raising their lion heads above everyone else's and in our world that is EXTREME disrespect and cause for Lion Fights.

For example, when the Tai Wan Hung Sing came to Frisco, we were all there (all 3 schools from chinatown) to welcome them. I have posted one of the pictures on my website of two lion heads meeting and both my sifu and the tai wan sifu are instructing us to keep out heads very low and even to each other. he'd go low and i'd go lower. But any ways, our two groups noticed that the White Crane school had double decker lion and raising their heads way up above ours and the guy under the tai wan lion head and i were looking at each other (we understood without language) that what white crane was doing was disrespectful. we waited for the signal to start attacking with the lions.

tell me, our lion heads in the past were equipped with butterfly knives inside the heads, had anything like this happen in new york? i'm sure it has, but i want to hear the stories.

frank

Frank, this last post of yours is uncecessary focus on the negative in my opinion, no need to discuss it much other than to say I never liked Lion Dancing because of this sort of crap.... I saw a very bad one, which is why NYPD now sits on all dancing and things are a little different
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    im not trying to be negative, im just curious to about the happenings in other chinatowns other than mine.

From what i take from it a lion dance happened and something bad must of went down as a result of it.

Hopefully no one you knew was hurt. sorry for bringing up some bad memories.

it's just my curiosity.

"sitting" on lion dances, meaning always present or won't allow it?