Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese characters

No problems.

4. Fan Zhu Quan - Unsure, do you mean fan zhou quan (翻肘拳)?
    Here the middle character is a little different. It's actually a very simple character, almost like number seven -> 7 -> but with a stroke through the middle, the way we write number seven here.

Then this should be "Fan Zi Quan" 翻子拳, it was already in the list.

70. Di Shu Quan - 地术拳 ( dog is called "di long" traditionally, so it can be also 地龙拳 ) - The middle character is a little different, but that's maybe because Gene (or whoever wrote this great article) used traditional Chinese. It actually has two options for the middle character of which the one in parentheses is the one I have seen used for dog. Actually, in Potku, we use that one for dog: http://www.potku.net/forum/templates/sky/images/dog.gif

Is the middle character 龍? Thats the traditional character for 龙, another valid name for this style is Di Quan Quan (地犬拳)

75. Da Xia Jia Quan - 大侠家拳 - This is a funny one, four words but only three characters (in the article, that is)?

"This Southern style was founded by Li Hu Zi who studied at Emeishan in Sichuan. He went to Guangdong and passed it to a monk named Huang Yin Ling. Monk Huang left the monastery and returned to secular life and opened a school to teach publicly. This system begins with 'xiaolohan' (small Lohan). Intermediate students study tiger and crane, then advanced students go on to 'dalohan' (big Lohan). It is popular in Guangzhou, Nantai, Hong Kong and Macao."

Upon further research, this style is offically called "Xia jia quan" (侠家拳)

77. Long Zun Quan - 龙尊拳
    "Long Zun means 'respect'. The movements of Long Zun Quan are quick, and adaptable, emphasizing defensive techniques. Less jumping and kicking leads to a stronger foundation of stances. Foot techniques also tend to be more conservative. The few attacks tend to be from the side, as a crab moves. Students of Long Zhun Quan pau close attention to facial expressions."

龙(龍)尊拳 is an existing southern shaolin style. May be it is what you are looking for? There really is no other valid names for "long zhun".
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Quote Originally Posted by gfx
    Then this should be "Fan Zi Quan" 翻子拳, it was already in the list.
    You are right! They are introduces as separete styles, though. I wonder...

Gene, do you read this forum anymore?

Is the middle character 龍? Thats the traditional character for 龙, another valid name for this style is Di Quan Quan (地犬拳)
    It actually is a little different, but I can always use the other 'dog' as the middle character as that was listed as the alternative.

Upon further research, this style is offically called "Xia jia quan" (侠家拳)
    OK. Maybe there are a couple of ways of writing this.

龙(龍)尊拳 is an existing southern shaolin style. May be it is what you are looking for? There really is no other valid names for "long zhun".
    Maybe this too can be written using different characters.

Gene, care to elaborate?

GFX, I owe you big time.

Cheers,

Mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

ghost of the millennium

I'm glad y'all took care of that yourselves. To be honest, I don't know that we could extract the character files for that article easily. Five - oops, make that six - years ago is a long time in the electronic world and the way we handle graphics, layout submission, electronic files, etc. has changed. We still have the data, but it would be hard for us to reprint it here. The best source is the print mag. We did that article in our January 2000 issue, which is still available as a back issue, btw. Not all of the names were in standard pinyin - those arts that were of southern origin were in Cantonese, and we opted for the most popular spelling, ie Hung Gar, not Hong Jia, Wing Chun not Yongchun. Anyway, excellent translation work, gentleman!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart