Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Process Change Request: Deletion of Threads

Process Change Request: Deletion of Threads

Change Request:

On behalf of myself and fellow forum members, I request that forum participants avoid deleting threads they have started after other members of the forum have invest in discussions there.

If you need to delete the initial post of a thread you started, please use the edit feature to remove the text of your own message, rather than deleting the entire thread and everyone else's contribution to it.

Basis for Request:

There has been an increasing pattern of thread deletions by forum members during the past year. I grant that the owner of any post has a right to remove their own material at their discretion. However, I contend that material contributed by other individuals should not be removed other than by the forum moderators.

Whether intended or not, removal of others' material by virtue of thread deletion implies a disrespect for the contributions of others. The behavioral reinforcement of deleting or disrespecting others' contributions will discourage participation of other forum members regardless of their viewpoint or value of their contribution on issues. ( E.g., Who wants to waste time contributing when their writing is just going to be randomly deleted anyway, or possibly never seen at all?)

Removal of others' material constitutes not only a disrespect for the material itself, but disrespect for the thought and time investment of the writer(s), as well as the value of the discussion to others, readers and writers alike.

The ability for a thread starter to delete a whole thread may be a technical flaw in the system. Therefore I will also submit a change request to the forum management in hopes they can remedy the problem.

Last and possibly least, the deletion of threads is highly annoying.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo
    "It's all related." - me

I second this. Just because someone thinks the disscussion is old hat, and a rehash by people that no nothing, means only arrogance and a superiority complex by that particular person if you ask me. As long as the discussion is civil and respecting of other forum members, then nothing should ever be deleted...

James

Like bell-bottoms, old threads periodically come back to haunt us. And sometimes, just sometimes, tiny little steps of progress are made.

you guys bust me up thanks for the morning laugh
    if you had been this entertaining i would never have killed the thread !

ps maybe if people had some thing new to offer instead of the same ''dog chasing it's tail '' that can be found on any number of threads on the forum ,'' then there would not be a new habit of people killing off what they start [which is a good trend in my book ]

the words come on guys get a life keep coming to mind haha !

the only new thing that came from that thread was the other thread you started KJ
    at least that was a breath of fresh air
    better to save server space then contribute to more of the yada yada yada !

now i must put on my arrogance and superiority suit and kick puppies
    Last edited by Ernie; 01-07-2006 at 08:16 AM.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

As much as I would have liked to continue with that thread - and in particular the discussion I was having with Jim Roselando (wherein I was just starting to put the screws to Jim's faulty logic about simplicity vs. complexity )...

nonetheless, I have to respect Ernie's right to delete the thread if he so desires.

He started it - he had a right to end it.

My two cents!

Vic
    trust with in 24 hours you and jim will find a new battle ground , ghost will ..... chime .... in ... with... Mr x thank you for your view ... but.. James will tell us how wing chun will cure cancer and his teacher learned to perform brain surgery in 2 weeks while walking on water during a level 10 test ,,,,, chi sau king will tell you all to go to hell and how your all wrong kicking ass with his or her steel toe boots , KJ will come in with the stern motherly hand ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and all will be right in the KFO universe once again

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

Spoilt brat

Quote: chi sau king will tell you all to go to hell and how your all wrong kicking ass with his or her steel toe boots

Thanks for the complimate Ernie.....You spoilt brat! LOL V. V. L

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun
    As much as I would have liked to continue with that thread - and in particular the discussion I was having with Jim Roselando (wherein I was just starting to put the screws to Jim's faulty logic about simplicity vs. complexity )...

nonetheless, I have to respect Ernie's right to delete the thread if he so desires.

My two cents!
    Of course he has the right, he started it, he can end it. But the discussion was a interesting one to some of us, and maybe he could have stated that we all start another thread. But to delete it because he thought we all do not know what we are talking about due to a lack of experience, well that makes me think someone has all the answers, and that the rest of us better catch up or else the infamous experienced streetfighter will get us all, lol. If someone does not like what is being said then either ignore the thread, or put in your 2 cents and contribute to it. This is a forum for all of us to contribute to in a equal way.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    Vic
    trust with in 24 hours you and jim will find a new battle ground , ghost will ..... chime .... in ... with... Mr x thank you for your view ... but.. James will tell us how wing chun will cure cancer and his teacher learned to perform brain surgery in 2 weeks while walking on water during a level 10 test ,,,,, chi sau king will tell you all to go to hell and how your all wrong kicking ass with his or her steel toe boots , KJ will come in with the stern motherly hand ! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and all will be right in the KFO universe once again
    Well were working on the walking on water thing, lol. When everyone else stops praising their instructors I'll do the same, please and thank you...

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    Of course he has the right, he started it, he can end it. But the discussion was a interesting one to some of us, and maybe he could have stated that we all start another thread. But to delete it because he thought we all do not know what we are talking about due to a lack of experience, well that makes me think someone has all the answers, and that the rest of us better catch up or else the infamous experienced streetfighter will get us all, lol. If someone does not like what is being said then either ignore the thread, or put in your 2 cents and contribute to it. This is a forum for all of us to contribute to in a equal way.

James
    james you rock ha ha
    better look over your shoulder and check in the closet under the bed , i might be in the back seat of your car with duck tape stretched out ,,,,,,,,

but you have nothing to fear ,,,,,, you have passed your test got your belt and can handle any problem ,,,,,,

as you have stated time and time again your kwoon has it all covered man !

I am finding it interesting . . . that if someone not like way thread is going . . . they can delete it . . . so what if things are rehashed . . . it is often good to reexamine things from time to time . . . I am thinking that deleting discussion that has taken place should be action of last resort . . . not arbitrary power . . . oh well.

Thanks,

Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by ghostofwingchun
    I am finding it interesting . . . that if someone not like way thread is going . . . they can delete it . . . so what if things are rehashed . . . it is often good to reexamine things from time to time . . . I am thinking that deleting discussion that has taken place should be action of last resort . . . not arbitrary power . . . oh well.

Thanks,

Ghost
    Ghost, you should search on peoples profiles and review some of the posts they have given (it gives you that option). Some on here have been posting for a few years and you get to learn lots about them in the process. I've done that a few times when things got boring and I found it interesting and informative regard what people's views are.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    james you rock ha ha
    better look over your shoulder and check in the closet under the bed , i might be in the back seat of your car with duck tape stretched out ,,,,,,,,

but you have nothing to fear ,,,,,, you have passed your test got your belt and can handle any problem ,,,,,,

as you have stated time and time again your kwoon has it all covered man !
    Well I was watching "SAW" last night alone for the first time, and I did look under the bed before I feel asleep just to double check, LOL....

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun

My two cents!
    I have to respectfully disagree. Just because someone started a thread doesn't mean that they own it. Discussions often go in different directions than the original post when others get involved. Should the person that made the original post have the right to just arbitrarily negate any other discussion that may be going on within the thread between other individuals just because he doesn't like it or is bored with it? Ernie may find all of this amusing, but it is the same as just suddenly blowing someone off in a face to face conversation because you don't like what they have to say. In most social circles that would be considered very rude. You may bow out of the continuing conversation if you don't like where its going, but why should you have the right to tell everyone else to shut up? Again, I consider that somewhat rude.

Keith

KPM -Ernie may find all of this amusing

yes i do

KPM-I consider that somewhat rude

thank you for your oppinion hope you feel better now