Thread: question to all 8 steppers on fighting

question to all 8 steppers on fighting

Hello All:

my just a question on fighting ability. so we won't have to worry about any personal issues etc. I would like to know what you all think of the true fighting ability of 8 step. regardless of if it's "original" 8 step Shyun 8 step etc because being involved in mma for the past several years and actucally stepping into the cage it is my whole hearted belief that you should add what ever makes you a better fighter. I would like to know how do you feel you progressed strictly from a fighting basis? I have to honestly say about the only thing i took that has helped me as a fighter was the conditioning. Now let me say I have nothing against what I learned the conditioning that went on in the early days with Sifu Shyun was top notch and as hard as anything i have gone through except in the few weeks prior to a fight. but I have never had a chance to use any of the techniques I was taught in a fight.

old8step

Can you share/explain this conditioning your speaking about? We condition pretty heavily, would like to compare.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I, too, would appreciate some clarification. Do you mean cardiovascular conditioning or actual physical conditioning (Pai Da)?

Thanks in advance.

old8step, good question. I came from a karate back round, and I can easily say that the mantis is much more practical than karate. mantis uses maximum effect through minimum effort. And the movments are much more natural.

While I have found only a small handful of the many techniques I have learned i can actully apply. I personally feel comfotable to use and have used in real life situations. There are so many applications and various movments in mantis that many techniques just cannot be practiced enough to become second nature. If you have 360 ground fighting, or 36 joint locks pick your 2 or 3 favorite and master them.

The only true way to really know somthing is if it becomes instinct. When you have the ability to move before thinking. i.e move with (Yi) intent then you truley own that move adn can aply in every aspect. Most fo the others techniques are there for back up or for your completeness of the system. out of the 40 throws I have learned I use 2.

it does no good to have a bag packed full of tricks if you have no mastered any......be well..
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Hi all:

clarification on the conditioning that has helped me.

When I trained we used to do 1000 punches each punch this really helped me both cardio and muscle wise. Not so much for getting bigger but muscular endurance we did the same for kicks.

We also did exercises called endurances where we would have to stay in the differenct stances for a certain length of time this really helped strengthen my legs example front kick keeping the leg at waist level while balancing on one leg that helped strengthen all leg muscles and core strength as your whole body pretty muched stayed tense during this exercise.

thank you all for you input great to hear from anyone else hope the above helps some of you understand what i meant.

old8step

Thanks for sharing your conditioning. I like to hear how other groups train conditioning. One of my old kf teachers use to put us into a horse stance and read the dao de ching (sp?) sorry if wrong. No lie, a full hour flat out. When he was really feeling it he would walk around putting a pole across our thighs to make sure we were flat. But that was a style that put alot of emphasis on leg strength.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

I am very interested in hearing everyones conditioning thoughts and approachs (perhaps a new thread??? ).
    But I must say (again), in regards to which style is "better" or more suited for fighting................ STYLE IS ARBITRARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
    I have trained for **** near 15 years in the martial arts; including a Karate background, as well as Phillipino Arnis, and now obviously the CMA. I have trained with some of the best at what they do in the world! I have touched hands with some of the worst, who thought they were one of the best!
    Now I do not know much, but I do know ONE thing.................. it is the quality of the teacher, the depth of the teacher, the wisdom of the teacher, the experience of the teacher etc. etc. etc. that determines which martial art (or even which Mantis style within the greater context of martial arts) is effective!
    The gun has equalized men for the last 150 years or so. Prior to that you had to fight hand to hand. If your "style" was ****, then by definition it would not have survived this long!!
    I appreciate your guys' eagerness to analyze and compare and learn more. But in the end it all comes down to the teacher (AND THIS DOES NOT MEAN LINEAGE!!)! I have seen TKD guys who will rip your head off and use it as a soccer ball, yet we all know that the majority of TKD out there is crap! Does that mean that EVERY TKD player sucks??? Certainly not!

Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

The gun has equalized men for the last 150 years or so. Prior to that you had to fight hand to hand. If your "style" was ****, then by definition it would not have survived this long!!

3 harmonies. I appreciate what you are saying but i must disagree fighting pure fighting as I see it is about who evolves 10 years ago and remember i am saying this as a gracie team member. 10 years ago GRACIE jiujitsu was on top now adays in the cage just knowing bjj is not enough. does it mean Bjj is **** no it does not but it's not the end all. How long has boxing been around?? but the boxers of 150 years ago would never survive the boxers of today. why because new training new adaptations etc. Fighters need to adapt so in some aspects yes it is the teacher. But take a great Muay Thai teacher now Muay Thai is known as one of the best fighting arts it can't be disputed but if a master of muay thai hits the ground against a grappler he is going to lose vice versa if a pure grappler strikes with a muay thai expert they are going to get knocked out. That does not mean that each coach was not an expert or master it just means their art was not equiped to handle the other art in certain aspects. A muay thai expert who gets armbarred is not going to go to his Kru and say you don't **** **** about fighting. A great teacher can only teach you what they know and I have yet to see a traditonal system that is "complete" enough on it's own
    Last edited by old8step; 01-11-2006 at 07:47 AM.