Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bung bo

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    I always remember my sifu telling a MASSIVE fat guy, that he would one day be able to back flip over his opponent, if strangled by a spear from behind.....
    Samo Hung was your classmate?? Dude!

N.

not so un-reasonable. Drop to your knee and bow one shoulder over. They will flip over your head quite nicely!
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

my ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Darkfist
    Ba Ji is one of the oldest of Chinese Martial Arts.
    Ancient is used for flavor in this sentence.

And yes whn compared to Tang Lang it as well as Ta JI would be considered ancient.
    I'm sorry for being ignorant (and going off topic), but wasn't Ba Ji Quan created out of many of the other martial arts, such as Mantis, Ba Gua, Xing Yi (?)...? And wasn't it popularised in the Qing Dynasty by the emperor’s body guards? A couple of hundred years makes it ancient? So the USA colonization is ancient?

Ancient is usually comparitive, yes. But in this context comparitive to the present. Again, sorry for this being off topic, just I've never heard of Ba Ji refered to as ancient before...(though it's foundations certainly could be )

MXY

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    Oso thats quite a long time of basic.

My basic training started with the sets 'sab sei low tam toy' for an introduction and 'gung lik kuen' to build up strength/power in the body. This lasted over a period of 9-10 months although I completed basic a lot quicker as I trained near enough everyday (thats an average time.....takes a while longer if you come into the lowest common denominator catogary ).

That's based on the 'hobbyist' who will only average 2 days a week. I've two students who have managed it in 11-12 months. Our two beginning sets are Babu Lien Wan and Chuju Chuen. Both modified from the original at first....I imagine similar to how LGY created the 14 Roads TT.

We also do some tan tui drills but only as drills...and other drills.

I read something similar to that. Although LGY created SSL Tam Toy as an introduction into the mantis style. I wonder if it was still compulsory to learn 10 forms before moving onto mantis when a 'user friendly' introductory set was already created.

i imagine that would have been still the case in a gov't school...but don't know for sure

craig

oso: I was quite interested in the off-topicness.....I always remember my sifu telling a MASSIVE fat guy, that he would one day be able to back flip over his opponent, if strangled by a spear from behind.....I still think thats bull****.....some people just aren't cut for some styles.
    I agree, still ****ed me off and the ironic thing is that teacher is now a sensei in a karate system...albeit a good one and he can still most likely kick my ass.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"