Thread: Lam Jo & Hung Gar Masters Stories

Lam Jo & Hung Gar Masters Stories

ok sorry for another stories thread.. but why not!

if no interested den so be but if anyone have a stories about Lam Jo and extend that to hung ga masters along the lines of CTS and Lau Bun stores that would be great and i think its good and nice to pass down oral stories from generation to generation and rememeber these great teachers...

as for the stories belief them or not.

i have a quick little story of a teacher.. in the 1970s after training he would go to the pub for beer and later he out back of the pub he would do some training one of which was to punch the brick wall 1000 times...

one day story started to circulate that he had punched the wall and the "whole wall came crashing down!" .....

the story spread quickly and end up being told as "he tapped the wall and the whole wall came down kinda thing"

anyways the real thruth was this:

the teacher had punched 1 brick (accuracy) in that wall every day practically, 1000 times for 10 years!! and on that nite the 1 brick fell out of the wall... the cement stuff between the bricks had been eroded by his constant pounding and as he himself said chuckling over a beer the weather and erosion probably did more to lossen that brick than his strikes.. obviously a combination though...

still its an awsone story i felt as a child because.. he hit that brick 1000 times everyday for 10 years!!! determination, committment, forging etc etc - of course he had a freaking hard fist!! ...

well anyways i hope people can share some good stories of lam jo martial arts and healing arts....

sorry for anyone that goes dam not another master X stories thread

thanks in advance to all~~

I do have a story about one of his disciples. He's sorta like a family friend but we don't talk to him much. One time he was setting up for lion dance. He stacked up these chairs to like 30 feet high? I don't know exactly, but it was near the ceiling of the building. He climbed to the top but one chair got loose and the whole thing fell. He just kicked them all out the way as he fell and landed on the ground and said move away. 30 minutes later he was fine like nothing happened.

My Sifu in Canada is Paul Chau. One of the key styles he teaches is Hung Gar and so I think this thread would be the best place...

There is a story that circulates about him; I never got around to asking him if it was true or not. Prior to opening his Kwoon he worked in a youth detention facility. My brother got into some trouble when he was younger and ended up in this facility. By this time I was training with him. Well one day my brother was shown a footprint on a 12 foot high ceiling. According to the facility legend some kids were being overly rowdy and Sifu broke it up by spring on-to (and then off of) the arm of a sofa and landing a kick squarely on the ceiling hard enough to leave and impression. Calmed the kids down right away. The mark was never repaired because guards could get a lot of stock out of: "See that? One of the staff put that there" when they needed to control rowdy kids long after Sifu had left to start NBDMA.

I do know from experience that the guy is a crazy-good jumper so I could lend credence to that story. He also kicks like a mule on steroids.... I mean I have a powerful (if slow) kick but everything I learned about good kicking was from him and his kicks are much more powerful than mine - and faster...
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

thanks!

Cool

I'll add my little sifu story to the thread as well..

One day about 25-28 odd yrs ago my sifu was riding the subway with his parents in New York City. This was the first time they'd seen him since he left for america in the mid-late 70's, it was also their first trip to America.

Well, it didn't take long before this group of about seven punks entered the train, and began to make alot of noise and bother people. Low and behold they see my sifu and his parents sitting minding their own business, not saying a word. So one of the punks starts to make fun of my sifu's father saying things like look at that old "*****" and such.

At first my sifu remained quiet and didn't say a word, his parents didn't speak english, so it really didn't get across to them that the guy was being an total arse. Well, the guy began to go futher by mimiking my sifu's father and sayng insults, thinking that none of them spoke english. My sifu said i understand what you're saying, why don't you leave my father alone" he's an old man, pick on me if you must" The guy began to hurl more racial insults at my sifu's father asking, what my sifu was going to do about it?

My sifu responded i know what those insults mean "how would you like it, if i called you a nigga"?

The guy got furious and attempted to take a swing at my sifu, but before he could release the swing, sifu had hit him between the eyes with a phoenix eye. Out cold on the subway car floor. Two of his friend then went to attack sifu, who laid them out both with the same strike. At this time two more attempt to jump sifu and he kicks both knocking them out. At this time one of the remaining three who was about 6'3"-4" tall and about 350-380 lbs in size pushes the remaining two away and jumps in sifu's face.

The guy is telling sifu what he's going to do to him, when sifu just lifts his hand and slaps the guy on each side of the face. A single tear runs out of the guy's eye, so he attempts to hit sifu, when sifu slaps him again on both sides of the face and says STOP!!!

The guy actually stopped in his tracks and began to cry.

Now i've seen and know how sifu conditions his hands, so i'm surprised all the guy did was cry. I would have pooped myself and curled up in a fetal postion sucking my thumb, until my mommy came and got me.

The remaining two guys didn't even try they jumped off the train at the next stop. People were cheering and prasing sifu in the subway car, but sifu is not big on attention, so he just smiled and sat back down next to his parents.

I have stories about my sifu that other people have told me. I've had ppl when they met me with sifu ask me, did he tell you about the three guys he beat up with a broom? Or did he tell you about the time etc.....

I met a younger sisuk of my sifu online and the first thing he said after not seeing my sifu since the 70's when sifu left Hong Kong was, I remember your sifu beat up three guys in HK at one time by himself...

Sifu just laughs and shurggs it off.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Not quite a story

A hotel! Now you know where to stay in HK.

Chop, chop: decor pays tribute to a kung-fu master
    Date February 23, 2013
    Jane Reddy
    Travel Writer

Luxury innovations ... the soon-to-open Hotel Indigo in Hong Kong.

GUESTS will be able to float in a cantilevered, glass-bottomed infinity pool at the new Hotel Indigo in Wanchai district on Hong Kong Island, which will open in April.

The 29-floor, 138-room hotel will be wrapped by a gold dragon that also provides shade, while a rooftop bar, 24-hour gym and library will be places of retreat.

Deluxe rooms each have hand-crafted mosaics of butterflies and dragons, and statues of kung-fu master Lam Jo, one of Wanchai's loved sons.

Beyond the hotel there's old Wanchai market, the flea market at Canal Road East, and Tai Yuen Street for antiques.
    Advertisement

At 246 Queen's Road East, Wanchai. A superior room costs from $HK3300 ($410) a night, twin share.

See ihg.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our last GM,K.S.Hsuing (Southern Praying Mantis) would perform a feat for the public that most would be hard pressed to replicate,he did this even while in his 70's.

During the Chinese New Year,GM Hsuing would squat on a low table and frog jump across a space 10 feet in length onto another table across the room.

The training for such skill is known in our Pai as the "iron broomstick Kung".

He once broke open a heavy metal Padlock (as the key was lost) that the schools door was locked with,using a move we call the Khiang-Khian which is performed with a phoenix eye fist that uses a flicking of the wrist and is somewhat akin to a hammer fist.My current teacher was a witness to this.
    The "Old" Yang style of Taiji
    Hakka Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    My Sifu in Canada is Paul Chau. One of the key styles he teaches is Hung Gar and so I think this thread would be the best place...
    SimonM,

Paul Chau as far as I am aware is not a Hung Gar Sifu. Who does he claim his teacher(s) were and for how long? I have never seen or heard anything from or about him that would lead me to believe what he does is Hung Kuen.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying buyer beware. Hung is a huge system and not something you can just pick up in a few years.

How does this Hung Gar hold up to Hung other practitioners on the forum have trained?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKA515KD3Ew
    Last edited by Golden Arms; 02-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    -Golden Arms-