Thread: I am so out of shape. . . .

I am so out of shape. . . .

I only took three weeks off for the Holidays etc., but MAN! I'm gassed after every work-out in a way that I didn't expect. It takes so little time off to lose your conditioning, at least it does for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I panty waisted thru the holidays as well, I`m paying for it in the gym. It does not take long. I will not take time off next year. I think alot of it is the f`d up diet.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Judge Pen,

I took a weight training class at one of my colleges as a Phys Ed requirement...and he said every week off took 1 month to get back...welcome to 3 months of getting back to where you were...
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF
    Judge Pen,

I took a weight training class at one of my colleges as a Phys Ed requirement...and he said every week off took 1 month to get back...welcome to 3 months of getting back to where you were...
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that that guy is an idiot. There is no standard amount of time that it takes you to get back into shape after a layoff or break. Some people are so worn down from training that after a week break they are actually better off. The one week off 1 month to get it back also doesn't account for base fitness at all. And different people respond differently.

I say you'll be back to where you were in a month but ramp up slowly.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

my jobs' (plural) have pretty much killed my workout schedule.
    my conditioning is pathetic at the moment and i don't know how i'll get it back.
    so hard not to get frustrated and give up.
    the fact that my main job has me reduced to being a janitor in the evenings is just plain sad; especially with all the bs i gotta put up with for my main job in the first place.

the only advice i can offer you is the same mantra i keep telling myself:
    "stick with it and the body will adapt"
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I've taken a week off before and actually come back stronger than when I left...

yea when i came back from 4 months travelling in china + south east asia I could barely touch my toes.....what a **** take.

craig

You've heard the saying: Years to build, and moments to destroy. Ack.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    I've taken a week off before and actually come back stronger than when I left...
    ONe week, maybe; I effectively took 3 off. Right now I can only get about 3 workouts in a week, but, starting in February, a buddy of mine is opening a full-time school just about a mile from where I live so that will make gym space more convenient for me.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Years To Gain...Moments To Lose

Layoffs are never easy to come back from. Just keep working as hard as you can when you are able to. You'll be back to your old self eventually. Of course you could come to Louisville and play with some kettlebells. That would speed up the process quite a bit. You seriously should plan on coming to Dave and Steve Cotter's seminar in March. Steve is awesome. Come visit dude.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

I think you are just getting old.

Maybe you should learn to do your forms in a Rascal.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

"I've taken a week off before and actually come back stronger than when I left..."

I agree. It is always good to take a week off every 3 to 6 months. Lets everything heal up. Also I feel so much more flexable and more energetic.

Now a month off is another story. My first few classes back are always a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller
    I think you are just getting old.
    It's not the years; it's the mileage.