View Poll Results: would you be willing to do something like this?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

22 75.86%
  • no

1 3.45%
  • never get past politics

4 13.79%
  • cant be done

2 6.90%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: " Fight clubs"

Question " Fight clubs"

I was wondering if anyone has ran across any local type clubs that are open to all styles, for sparring purposes. I think the best way for you to test your skills is sparr with as many different styles as possible. But it seems that politics and school reputations get in the way of this. I am talking about a group of people just getting together a couple times a month and doing their own thing no school memberships or dues or politics. Just martial artists refining their skills and testing their personal fighting styles.. Any feed back would be welcome. How much interest in this subject is there?
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

well it depends on how hard you are thinking of going i know many schools that have smokers with other schools in muay thai and boxing on a monthly basis with no fees etc i also know many schools that accept open challenges. So it depends on what type of sparring are you talking about?

To the Death. Just kidding. Friendly. You wouldnt want to be sending guys out on stretchers. Dont think you would get many guys coming back.

fight clubs

Walk into any USA boxing gym with an attitude and they will gladly accomodate you. Bring your mouthpiece.
    phoenixdog

well, I see that this subject isnt of any serious interest. I could also go to the local bar or street corner and **** on the nearest guy. But my ? was of a different nature. Trying to see if it would be possible to do something like this outside of tournaments or going into another school and getting into a war. I have fought boxer before they arent that much of a challenge when you can use kicks against them. they do not like kickers. But anyway, I put the idea out there and i got what i got from it. Perhaps if i talked smack and politics i would get a better response.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    well, it's pretty much off topic for this forum, unless you were talking mantis only players.

otherwise, people that want to spar with other people tend to do just that...those that don't won't. your question is really rather vague.

the truth is, most people really don't want to spar regularly at the level of 'fighting'

Vs. a boxer: if you want to learn something about what you can really do with your hands, spar a boxer on their terms. Or, if you're really serious, i'm sure you can find a boxer who will be will to let you do whatever you think your game is as long as he can hit you as hard as he wants.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Emeraldpheonix,
    I am in North Canton, Ohio. You are welcome to come spar at my school.
    I have participated in these in the past. It was a good workout with some nice guys. We had a boxer, a JKD player, a karateka and myself.
    Send me a personal message and we can hook up.
    BTW, who do you train with in Akron?

Mooying

Talking Thanks

Good to go. If this is who i think it is, give me a shout. Couple more guys and we can do it. Akron area?

Oso-I remember when you hooked up with the boxer back a spell. Did you get a good lesson? Boxers are tuff mofo`s. I have always been a fan of western boxing, catch as many fights as I can. Wasnt there a Russian style of some sorts that you went up against. Guys, Oso has no inhibitions, think the dude would go up against just about anybody.

Mooying- I understand there is some real punka s s in Akron area. I was hoping Emerald was from Biggie`s school... no? Biggie`s a great teacher and good man. It was funny yet bizarre, stories he told me about schools in his area, some real koo koo`s.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

serious bs

Seriously,your mantis will better if you spar against boxers.If you say boxers were not much of a challenge,then you didn't go to a serious boxing gym.If you can't find a serious boxing gym,them I'm sure the pong lai folks will accomodate you as well.
    phoenixdog

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yes, it was a big lesson, he was surprised I would put the gloves on and go with him...then he proceded to beat the snot out of me.

super nice guy be kinda flaky, only got to go round with him twice.

had a guy come in to ask about classes a week or so ago...said he was a 'golden gloves' boxer from south miami...???...who knows...hopefully he'll come back...he looked to be about 200 and I need a big guy in my school.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Why not use San Shou as a level playing field?

http://www.iwuf.org/rules/SanShou.htm

The boxers can punch
    the grapplers can throw
    the kickers can kick
    And it's quite safe, you know

In terms of equipment, I recommend AIBA (International Boxing Assosciation: http://www.aiba.net/pages/AboutHistory.htm ) certified gloves and headgear. Since the introduction of AIBA standards in the olympics, knockouts have dropped to around 1%. This is mainly because headgear with specific padding requirements became mandatory in 1984, and 10oz gloves became mandatory ten years later.

Also, many provincial, state, and municipal governments offer GRANTS to organizations that are promoting sports and recreation in their community. San Shou is an international sport: it is definitely eligible for funding. Most grants generally cover a percentage of funding (commonly 50%), and allow equipment (such as mats) to be part of the grant proposal. Check your state and municipal websites for funding information.

Good luck to all who undertake such endeavours.

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Boxer

we participate in all of this. Its the best way to help each other get better.
    We have some converted boxers as well. There are some dynamics that really cause them problems you just have to exploit them relentlessly. There are very subtle things such as footwork makes them vulnerable among other things.

Akron loves its Kung Fu, I Met Sifu Biggie a couple of times and enjoyed his presence. As far as others there My Uncles are out of the original group, both i can certify are bona fide ass whoopers, as is my father. Not to Mention Wutang Center With My Master and a good friend and teacher Master Schulz. I can honestly say with many lumps and scars as reminders my days in that depressed town hurt in many ways.

Big guys are rather common at my school (its part of teaching at a Gym). Once you get them relaxed and using as little energy as possible they fight really fast.
    However they tend to be the nicest guys on the planet.

Yu Shan,
    Yeah Akron has some real homegrown idiots. Fortunately, it also has Mike Biggie and Tony Yang.
    Mike and I have some interesting stories about some of the knuckleheads here. Its not every city that you get death threats from other instructors.

Emeraldpheonix,
    Who do you train with in Akron?

Mooying

Akron

Akron is an interesting town. All kinds. I have been with Mike for over 3 years now. When i was in the USMC. fought boxers all the time. Dont get me wrong. Boxers are great fighters. I would not go in and fight there game toe to toe. As i said. they dont like you to kick them. they have issues with that. I love 7 * and i just like to hook up with other fighters. If you spar within your own style all the time you get use to the same tech. all the time. That is why i was wondering who and what is in the area. Just always looking to better myself and have some fun in the process.