View Poll Results: would you be willing to do something like this?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

22 75.86%
  • no

1 3.45%
  • never get past politics

4 13.79%
  • cant be done

2 6.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: " Fight clubs"

Biggie

As for Mke, You have to see him in action to believe. When i first met him he put he put a good a$$ whooping on me. That is why i converted to 7* I didnt put the request out there to challenge any one because i am some great fighter. As i said i just like to hook up with guys and have some fun with other styles to try and stay fresh.
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

come to south/east london england - theres a ton of unlicensed boxing matches and illegal fights.

craig

sparring in a ring

I would add that sparring in a boxing ring will teach you to relax since there is no place to go.Most CMA schools teach sparring in a big open room or on large mats where you can simply move off of the fight area so your sparring is not as compressed.As far as big dudes go,the gym that I trained in had a heavyweight named David Rickson.One of the toughest fighters I've ever seen.On his eighth fight he was killed in the ring by an illegal forearm blow to the back of the head.
    phoenixdog

That sucks... Atleast he went doing what he loved. I hear you about the ring sizes.. I started out in Goshin shin Ryu. there our ring size was about 10 by 10.

Monkeyfoot

Sounds great I'll be there next week. Got a spare room? Just kidding. Are you talking underground fights? That would certainly be very cool to check out.

Emeraldpheonix,
    I haven't figured out who you are yet, but I'm glad to hear we both train with "His Mantidness". Mike has a very no BS approach to CMA. I have known him for twenty years now and he just gets tougher and tougher. Have you ever seen his Choy Li Fut? Equally good! My student who teaches up in Cleveland is now coming down on a weekly basis to train with Mike in CLF.
    We are going to have to work on Mike to start letting us spar in class. I think that would round out our training.

Richard

I recommend going to mnpls minnesota or st.pauls east or west side. if you want to fight all you have to do is travel alone with a new bike, or spend some time in a pool hall or bar. one of my close friends gets attacked all the time, last one was
    bad, he got sucker punched with a chain. many stiches needed.

Cool

Hey, We have the east side of cleveland for that.

Emerald = K?

Remember - the first rule about fight club is you can't talk about fight club.

We've started a San Shou club in Southern Nova Scotia. We meet once a week right now. Its main purpose is to provide the Martial Sport of San Shou to local Martial Artists. Every "Class," we warm up, stretch, and shadow box within the confines of the rules. Martial Artists can go through any of their own personal preparation for 15 minutes afterward. Instruction is only given upon request; People can come and learn San Shou Basics, although they are encouraged to go and find another Martial Art to train as well. After a regular run-down of rules, We take turns being the judges, refs, and competitors, ensuring that everyone learns all aspects of the sport, and gets to participate as much as possible. It's more fun that way.

Poor Sportsmanship is absolutely not tolerated and, depending on the severity of the scenario, will result in the dismissal of the member for the remainder of the day, month, or year. Poor sportsmanship resulting in bodily harm will result in lifetime expulsion and criminal charges.

Membership is $40CDN a month. All equipment except Athletic Supports and Mouth Guards are provided. Members wishing to use their own equipment must ensure that their Headgear and Gloves are AIBA certified. Shin and Instep guards must be to Muay Thai Standards.

We're still very small - we opened our doors at the Beginning of December. However, it's a workable, insureable model, and it's a way for all Martial Artists to safely and recreationally hone their skills. The sport is also a way to introduce fitness and activity into the community - always a healthy thing. In the near future, we hope to offer Weapons sparring as well.

Fight clubs are a great idea, so long as everyone's kept as safe as possible within the confines of the activity. We chose to use San Shou rules simply because they're Internationally standardized, and they allow for a wide range of martial artists to participate, but any rule system that is both safe and versatile would work in a fight club. Speaking of which, if anyone knows of any national or international weapons sparring rule systems, please post them or a link to them.

CSP
    "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own." -Cicero

Thumbs up Xiao3 Meng4

Sounds very good. Good luck and hope you continue to grow and provide this wonderful program for all to benefit. I like your Rules of sportsmanship. Got a few posts of "go to the bar and fight" You can go to any street corner and Pi$$ on the guys leg and you will have yourself a fight. Keeping it safe and sportsman like is what we MA are suppose to be striving for. It has to be very interesting to see how all the differnt styles do with eachother and how they quickly learn to adapt to the differences.

Thanks.

we have a group that trains like that in Pittsburgh. It's great, you get to go against a lot of everything.
    Bless you

Emerald / Dark Sifu

Emerald, there are plenty of forums for a martial artists to test. An easy one is to go to Bullshido.com and organize a local Throwdown. You can organize it however you want ... gear/no gear ... ground/no ground, etc.

Local boxing gyms are also a good bet. And I know many boxers who are more than happy to play with "martial art" kickers... you kick them it just makes them madder.

Find wrestlers and wrestle. There's a lot out there today.

Dark Sifu, some of your guys do look big and game.

I said no. Not because I disagree with it, but rather because I know how very difficult it is to get such a thing going and to have it at such a level that everyone there is capable, doesn't have an overinflated ego and so on.

If you just freely have something, I don't think there will be a willingness by all to go full contact without a few level settings happening first and that level setting may include things that some cannot abide by or are not capable of abiding by.

Knockaround is made to look like its something that is cool and what not, but it is mostly foolish flailing if it's not done in teh correct context by teh right people.

anyway,m ultimately count yourself lucky if you can gradually find just a few competent martialists that are willing to tarin in such a way.

If you wanna just get into fights and test your junk, then go to innappropriate bars and make inappropriate comments about teh bouncers sexual preferences. that'll get you warmed up.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    XM, that sounds great.

A good model indeed...people who are willing to pay a little money and abide by some basic conduct rules will be more serious, imo.

is there a website for this endeavor? I'd like to know more about how exactly you have it set up.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"