Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mmm! Massage!

Mmm! Massage!

For any of your physiotherapists/muscle experts/sports scientists etc out there...

when's the best time to get a massage?

If I have a heavy workout and my muscles are damaged, I need to rest them a bit and eat a lot of protein and all that to build them up into their new-improved versions right?

So, if I get a massage, I'm getting the tissues broken apart again am I (thus impeding the repair time and being A BAD THING)? Or is it just stimulating the blood flow around them (and speeding up the repair time - A GOOD THING)?

And what kind of massage should I be getting for strained/damaged muscles? And finally how long after - while it still hurts...?

Ta.

Mat,

I perform self trigger massage therapy on myself using a cane device after my workout which helps my recovery. The best time to get a massage is after your intense workout. After a good hot/cold shower and time in the dry sauna, I like going for a good massage. I perfer tui-na (chinese) therapy, but other methods also is good.

There is no quick and easy way to decrease DOMs aka soreness. Here is what I do after my workouts. 1. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. 2. Drink a protein shake. 3. Eat two handful of goji aka wolfberries. 4. Take amino pills before bedtime. 5. Do Warrior Wellness or Bodyflow or Vibration exercises. 6. REST get 6-8 hours of sleep.

If you can a massage when your muscles are already inflamed, then yes it will make it feel worst from my experience. That is why I get my massage the same day as my workout and not days afterward.

"And what kind of massage should I be getting for strained/damaged muscles? And finally how long after - while it still hurts...?"

If you have a medical condition, please ask your doctor.

Ta.[/QUOTE]
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

I'd say the best time is either just before to get rid of any excessive tightness before your workout to prevent injury (this would just be a a quick, vigorous massage including some soft tissue release), and maybe the next day or two after a hard workout (this would be a longer, and deeper massage including some deep friction to get rid of any knotts in the muscle).

There's been a few studies out there saying that post event massage doesn't really provide any physical benefit. The next day, or a few hours afterwards should be effective though.
    --- time is never wasted when your wasted all the time ---

get one with the happy ending and you'll feel no more tension.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I wouldn't get one if I'm really sore with DOMS after lifting weights. For example, the day after doing squats I don't even want to touch my quads, much less let someone massage them.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    I wouldn't get one if I'm really sore with DOMS after lifting weights. For example, the day after doing squats I don't even want to touch my quads, much less let someone massage them.
    I feel ya, Iron and this why I recommended getting massage after an intense event/activity.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    I perfer tui-na (chinese) therapy, but other methods also is good.
    I usually go to an anma, a traditional Japanese blind masseur, who is excellent, and seeing as it's trad Japanese it's probably Chinese anyway!

1. Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
    Check.
    2. Drink a protein shake.
    Check sometimes. Usually eat enough protein at mealtimes and often guzzle the odd can of tuna/raw eggs after training.
    3. Eat two handful of goji aka wolfberries.
    Why?
    4. Take amino pills before bedtime.
    Hmmm, don't really like the sound of that. I think my amino balance is OK through my diet.
    5. Do Warrior Wellness or Bodyflow or Vibration exercises.
    Don't know any. Plus , it's already pretty hard to make exercise time.
    6. REST get 6-8 hours of sleep.
    Check.

"And what kind of massage should I be getting for strained/damaged muscles? And finally how long after - while it still hurts...?"

If you have a medical condition, please ask your doctor.
    Of course. The only strained/damaged muscles I was talking about are what you acronym freaks are calling DOMS!

This site reckons it's good to get a massage, but doesn't say why. Of course, I can assume that it's to increase bloodflow to the muscles and thus decrease repair time. However, it doesn't address the possibility that a deep massage may cause more harm than good.

This suggests gentle massage.

This seems to suggest massage before the work out.

This site recommends before and after.

Well, there you go.

mat,

at my mma club we have a massage therapist (cheap to training bros ) he recommends a massage straight after training (hot shower first) that should help prevent soreness. he also does pre fight massage then theres specific stuff if you have injuries etc which can be any time. anyway it rules i guess the only limit is how much $$ and time you have etc just see what works best for you!

also ive had it help lots with flexability etc

ttt 4 2017!

Had to put this somewhere.

WTH?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That thing she does with her mouth. I was thinking. Does she do fronts too ? I might only need that side taken care of tonight.

Also, I might slip her an xtra 100 to teach me how to massage the girl on the table.

Jimbo, if you are still doing this stuff. You are the man. I always knew female massage was the college for me. Oh well. Now Im getting old. I don't want to massage old ladies. But that's where the diniro is I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Jimbo, if you are still doing this stuff. You are the man. I always knew female massage was the college for me. Oh well. Now Im getting old. I don't want to massage old ladies. But that's where the diniro is I suspect.
    Yup, it's still my profession. And while most of my clients are female, I work on whoever requests work done, unless they ask for some modality I'm not experienced at or simply don't do (such as pregnancy massage, etc.), at which point they are referred to someone who does that. A lot of my clients are athletes who need deep tissue work. I've also worked on doctors, nurses, etc., and a lot of people who sit and work at computers all day, which results in its own set of problems. My clients range from their early 20s to their early 70s; the average age from 25 to 45.

As a certified massage therapist, you cannot pick and choose what types of clients you will work on based on appearance, just like a doctor, a dentist, a physical trainer, etc., cannot pick and choose to only work on women who look like bikini models. Otherwise you're in the wrong profession. Sometimes I do work on model-looking women, and that's great. But after all these years as a therapist, it's just another body to work on to me. I have no problems keeping things professional. I suspect it's that way for any *competent* professional who works with people on a daily basis.

It annoys me no end when people confuse legitimate massage therapy with so-called "happy ending" massages like at those "exotic Oriental massage" establishments/ ho-houses.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Jimbo. Only morons and a-holes cant tell the difference. I'm not ashamed to admit I have gone to some of the Asian places in the past. I was younger. I pass today.

Billy,
    Until CA State certification became possible several years ago, massage therapists had to register for licensing every year (at increasingly ridiculous prices) at the police dept. vice, in the same category as exotic dancers, etc. Even if you already had national certification. And your options to practice were extremely limited as to the various districts. We would be waiting in line with strippers, etc. I can hear the jokes now about how 'great' that is, but it's not, when you work hard in a legitimate therapeutic profession. It's not only inaccurate but demeaning. The CA cities are actually fighting to end CA certification so they can once again put massage therapy back in the vice category and charge their ridiculous fees. So yes, they are a-holes and morons, but they also have positions of power to do that. Every time it comes up, I've been one of those fighting to keep CA certification.

I'm not saying that exotic dancers and strippers are necessarily bad people, but their profession and ours are most definitely NOT in the same category.

I feel ya, Jimbo

My wife is a massage therapist in CA. When she had a private practice in her own office, every few months some undercover vice cop would book an appointment, but they were so obvious that she could spot them over the phone. It became a running joke. So bothersome.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well keep fighting it. Jimbo and Gene have your wife call and all her and your fellow massage therapist friends call your Mayors. Governors, etc. And say if that goes through Im voting for the other guy and you are out of a job. Have everyone say that. You may find you have made a friend on your side.

As for the other side of the massage industry. I feel the same way about that as I do the drug trade. Legalize it. Take it out of the hands of criminals. Tax it. Make bank. California is rich again. Taxes go down in your municipalities. They have to get their raises someplace after all. But Billy, what about all the extra courts costs and fines and jail money we will lose ?

Yeah, that industry needs to be closed to all but real criminals. Not some pot dealer and prostitute. Besides with all that cannabis cash and maybe more. The books should balance fine.

Trump. Just wait. Right now that stuff being illegal is serving an important reason. But I don't think he would deny the success Colorado achieved. Every state could do that too. In time.