Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What truely works? what doesnt? (mma)

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    actually as i said earlier, i may end up on my back you can get me into a head lock, arm bar, or whateve, but if i start ripping into your flesh and tearing it wide open, yank your ear off your head, or even pop your nuts (squish) i'm sure it will turn the tides. the person being ripped up won't want to get ripped up anymore.

Ugh. There's never a shortage of this BS!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud

I fought many grapplers in my life and never lost once. It was actualy childs play, not that having prior knowledge of other styles didn't help me defeat other stylist.

I had a bunch of Gracie guys rent space in my kwoon for a while and were convinced upon meeting me that they would convert me. well I was as polite as I could be so I let them show me there stuff, hey I'm not stupid. When it came to fighting me they didn't stand a chance.

Now in kung fu we don't trane as hard as we do to be rolling around with some big sweaty guy. Hey maybee if I was gay I might like some guy sweating all over me.

The chinese martial arts is more sophisticated than that. We train to plunge our fingers though an atackers eyes, or to detach one testicles. Focus is a big part of the traning since most of our strikes are aimed at vital areas and are designed to maim or kill..

..........as I was saying............................

Quote:
    Merryprankster's
    Ummm... No?
    In reality, the guy who tries this will, 99% of the time or more, wind up on his back.

okay even when the guy is on his back it is easy for him to get to your eyes especially if they apply the guard.. if you want to get technical fine. I did a double leg take down and I was in a kung-fu guys guard (my good friend in mantis school) .. you kno what he did? he tore my flesh from the inner thigh.. and IT HURTS~!!! i jumped up.. and that second i did he got out.. and it's weird it's like suprise pain.. have someone squeeze a little peice of your inner thigh as hard as they can.. remember a little peice BUT i've strayed from point.. it is easy for ppl to dig fingers in your eye.. especially with adrennaline..

.............as I was saying..................

i dunno wat ur sayin buh it hurts

Blog Entries
    only the stupid focks like this unkokusaid cat.

let him swim in all his ingorance.

Blog Entries
    ok who let the special (yellow bus) kids out? one of the got into our part of the playground.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    let him swim in all his ingorance.

Yeah, let me swim in all my ignorance. You bet your ass on scratching and biting and eye-poking instead of being able to actually fight, but I'll swim in ignorance.

Jesus Christ there is a lot of bollocks on this thread ..........grappling will give you (amongst other things)........balance, posture, controls/grips/ties and movement - especially of the hips. All these things increase your ability to eye gouge, bite and grab flesh and also your ability to neutralise your opponents attempts to do the same. If you dont train it (ground fighting) dont bank on your ability to magically be able to do it under pressure when the shi_t its the fan.

And as for the grappling = gay comment thats says more about the posters insecurities and prejudices than those who recognise that ground and clinch are elements of any fight and should be trained rather then just to put the head in the sand and hope it all goes away.
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Blog Entries
    will someone come control the little retarded kid? he want's to play with the big kids, but he's going to get hurt.

anyways grappling is fine and nice to have in your arsenal, but you have to be a ufc fighter to beat a tough ass street fighter who has nothing to lose. your average everyday martial artist does not train with such intensity.

when it comes to the waist and hips and such, choy lee fut is a great way to go.

grappling is a nice supplement, don't get me wrong. but my gung fu system has a lot of good things in it.

peace.

somebody come pick up the retarded kid from koko

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    One, tuna fish-Subitai fought and won a UFC-and he is Hung-Ga, um that's a style of Kung-Fu.
    In all fairness, I think it's best to Let O talk about his UFC stuff and what his influences were there. I think he attributed quite a bit to fma in what I read, but I would let him speak to that. He is a member here, like a few others who regularly fight in sportive combative venues.

Anyway, good call DS! You da man, da man wit da sharpie pen!

God, I was only cringing at having to endure the taunts of yet another nuthugger fanboy.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Merry Prankster, you have my respect and may be the most knowledgable fighter on the board.
    I appreciate your respect, thank you. I don't know that I am the most knowledgeable fighter on the board, however. I think you will find that there are several others here with more experience and more knowledge than me.

hskwarrior,

I do not train in any TCMA. I never have. I have ten years of grappling experience, and a smattering of boxing.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinions - but, I do urge you to seek out some "good grapplers" regardless of style and try the things you are talking about. I suspect you will be as unpleasantly surprised as many straight wrestlers are when they try MMA for the first time, thinking their straight wrestling will get them through - it's a different ball of wax when somebody is trying to hit you and submit you.

re the ear: I have had my ear partway torn off in a wrestling match. It was not a fight ender. I didn't know it until my headgear filled up with blood and began pouring down the side of my head. It made quite a mess.

he tore my flesh from the inner thigh.. and IT HURTS~!!!
    Define tear. Was there significant bleeding? Separation of tissue from body? Secondly, pain is just pain. You get used to it. People dig elbows into my inner thigh all the time...discomfort is an inherent part of grappling. You learn very quickly what is danger and what is merely unpleasant.

okay even when the guy is on his back it is easy for him to get to your eyes especially if they apply the guard..
    I disagree. "Good grapplers" bury their head, shut space down, immobilize your hips and isolate the body part they want to attack. A "poke" in the eye is merely annoying. I wrestled an entire match with double vision and screwed up depth perception because of an accidental poke in the eye. I also won. Grappling is extremely tactile - this is why so many blind people wrestle and do quite well. I don't need to be able to see to continue. In fact, "blind" training is often part of regular grappling training. It develops sensitivity to subtle shifts in balance and movement.

BUT i've strayed from point.. it is easy for ppl to dig fingers in your eye.
    I disagree. Think about how hard it is simply to punch somebody in the face if they don't want you to. When I boxed, if I landed 9 solid shots per round, I was doing pretty good, as was my opponent. Examine the punch counts of professional boxers and you will see, on average, only a 20-30% land rate. The eyes are but a small part of the face. They are small targets and moving. In order to really gouge an eye you need a couple of things:

1. The opponents head must be relatively still.
    2. You need to have something the head will brace against, (like the other hand) because they are going to jerk backwards when you stick your digit in their eye, which negates the gouge.

Now, you could hold their head with one hand and gouge with the other. But you're going to need to find a way to immobilize their body too, because they aren't just going to move their head around, but their body too. But nobody with an ounce of sense is simply going to let you do this - and the target and weapon are both small. Further, with adrenalin pumping, studies have consistently shown that fine motor skills DECREASE, rather than increase. This means that accuracy goes down.

Can it happen? You bet! Would it be effective to gouge out an eye - probably, although there is no guarentee it would end the fight. Is it LIKELY? I don't think it is. This is what I would refer to as a "low percentage" technique. Nice to have in your back pocket, but not the stuff fighting skill is made of.

BTW, how much grappling experience do you have? You refer to double leg takedown, but I've often seen "the drunken fratboy tackle" passed off as a double leg in demonstrations, when, in fact, it's nothing of the sort. I'm trying to gauge what you actually did, not be an *******.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

sure i'll tell you exacitly what happened.. i've been rolling for a good year.. and was wrestling in highschooll.. really into all martial arts..

So what happened is that it's a "friendly" match but it wasn't pleasent.. My favorite takedown without gi is the single leg take down with your head inside and you're tripping the remaining leg that's standing and using your head to take them down (usually in half guard after this). Did that takedown and from half guard he did some weird grip.. like a panther claw thing and twisted inside my inner thigh.. I was suprised by the pain and jumped a little bit.. as that happened that quick second I've got lucky and got him in the full mount.. and could of gotten him in a arm bar.. BUTTT because of what he did he installed a little fear factor inside me so i didn't want to lose it and get tore some more (if i get stacked while attempting armbar).. then he pinched my balls.. i've tapped.. i swear he was holding me by the balls.. literally..

well.. i actually dun think eye gouging is that easy.. but when someone put their palm on your face they'll try to dig fingers in your eye.. not slowly .. but a quick nail digging jam. Never personally happened to me.. but i could see how it could be done.

By the way elbow thigh is slow pain compared to the panther grip which is more like a electric shock..

frank mir quote

Frank Mir: Well, during my training I always look more to finish a fight. That probably came from my history in stand-up with my father in the Kenpo Karate school. I had always done more what looked like kickboxing than ground. I didn’t actually do ground until I was 19 or 20 years old. I didn’t know what jiu-jitsu looked like before I even walked into a gym. I went through that strategy when I came to stand-up and said “OK, why sit here and exchange 15 shots and extend the fight? I had known that the longer the fight lasts, the chances are anybody can get caught or hurt. So as soon as an opponent would make a mistake, and do something that could decisively cause damage, such that the fight starts to lean in your favor - not necessarily look to finish the fight, because sometimes that can make you overextend yourself, but definitely every moment I can make my opponent pay for a mistake or a mis-step. So I pretty much transfer that into my jiu-jitsu and say, “OK, the minute you make a mistake I’m going to grab something and try to cause damage, so if I break your arm, you can’t use it anymore.”

http://www.boxinginsider.com/mma/stories/77370735.php

Well, considering Frank Mir was what? in his mid twenties during that posted clip...that means like 80% of his life he studied kenpo..whic, we know is not traditional chinese martial arts...but....as hskwarrior will atest..if ed parker learned some clf..then....SHUT THE FIZZLE UP
    Bryan Davis

Quote Originally Posted by ChinoXL

So what happened is that it's a "friendly" match but it wasn't pleasent.. My favorite takedown without gi is the single leg take down with your head inside and you're tripping the remaining leg that's standing and using your head to take them down (usually in half guard after this). Did that takedown and from half guard he did some weird grip.. like a panther claw thing and twisted inside my inner thigh.. I was suprised by the pain and jumped a little bit.. as that happened that quick second I've got lucky and got him in the full mount.. and could of gotten him in a arm bar.. BUTTT because of what he did he installed a little fear factor inside me so i didn't want to lose it and get tore some more (if i get stacked while attempting armbar).. then he pinched my balls.. i've tapped.. i swear he was holding me by the balls.. literally.. ..

Don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like a wuss.