Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghetto Blocks

Ghetto Blocks

I THINK THIS IS REALLY RIDICULOUS

i was in are local borders the other day, reading this moths inside kungfu magazine and there was an artical in it to get these tapes for some sort fo new streetfighting martial arts that is usaually only taught to elite gang soldiers in the ghettos of places like LA it suppose to be a style called ghetto blocks that the article said LITERLY THE MOST DEADLY FIGHTING STYL EVER, because it is made for street fighting and to kill, not to mention onlymake fights take like about 15 seconds. it even whent own to say that all these random kungufu and karate dojos dont work in a real world because they are not for these times. it supposedly also started out with millitary backgrounds but was passed down to the hood and elite street gangs, and the guy who, sponscering the tapes( thats right u can only learn it from tapes ) says to be a ex gang member who when to prison discovered this killing fighting style gave his life to God and tnow is selling tapes own this Art. to Me this seems like a load of crap but i wanted to now what u guys thought of this so called strongest fighting style ever.

and also, what else is some one from america, (no personal digs at you guys)
    going to come out with, is it another means of making money

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    The best part is that he says he's an ex gangbanger who gave his life to God-now he's selling tapes to teach everyone how to kill.
    which God?

Cool

You know it's really nothing new, it's just that they're trying to sell it in books and videos now.

I know ppl are going to laugh and joke about this quote

it even whent own to say that all these random kungufu and karate dojos dont work in a real world because they are not for these times.
    But, that's alot more true than hype or advertising...

The fact of the matter is, it's called different names in every hood in this country. In New York, it was called "Jail Housing" and no matter how much ppl want to tear it apart, it actually works. It's like the whole Bjj MMA debate, these guys are actually using this in prison. That's not a ring with a ref and corner men to throw in a towel.

I learned a lil back in the 80's from a friend fresh outta prison. It worked when i used it in a real fight, but i wasn't trying to kill anyone either. I don't know how deadly it can be because he only showed me fighting aspects with it. I've heard it has all kind of weapons type skills also, so i don't doubt it could be deadly.

I know alot of that is just hype, but i know from experience it's effective. It's really just different from what i learned from my friend . Alot of the moves were deceptive in nature, so you just never know where the strikes are coming from. It's hard to explain, it's not the be all kill all, but it's different. Once you learn a bit you take away all the mystery behind it.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

I picked up a smatterring of Jailhouse Rock,(also called,52 handlocks,52 Blocks,Comstock Shuffle, and others) from someone who was inside, and another friend who was a PO at Rikers. Similarities to Kali, with footwork from Capoeira. (uprock in breakdancing came from the jinga in capoeira) lots of elbows, knees, and a real sneaky hook punch that is delivered nose to nose.(btw-when I teach the hook, this is the one I teach) If this is what he is teaching, it might be good stuff to pick up.
    Odds are, he is capitalizing on the name. Jailhouse Rock has an unwritten rule-only taught to Blacks. Kind of like Gung-Fu only taught to Chinese. But it's a matter of time.
    It's funny, however to see kids on the street using the moves that they saw someone else do who might have learned it. They are doing the shuffle, bringing their elbows up and slapping them-but when they fight, you cansee they don't know how to use it. It's like seeing guys strike a "Kung-Fu Pose" and then flail like a girl.

In the end their really just selling something (their art), I don't mind it because it probobly worked for the inventor and may help a few people out their on their way to being model law breaking citizens. but I do get irritated when they sell their art by trying to discredit those arts that have proven themselves for hundreds of years prior.
    God bless the child that can hold his own.

JHR, Comstock, 52 Blocks, etc., is VERY effective. I'm from Brooklyn and have seen it in action many times. You also have to watch out if you're fighting someone and they start calling out numbers. They learn to hide single edge razors in pockets cut into their inner jaw when they're in jail. They can spit one out quickly between their fingers. The numbers called out are a means of intimidation. They are letting you know how many stitches you're going to get after you're slapped across the face of arm with the razor between the fingers. Back in the 70's I used to bring kung fu guys from Chinatown to Brooklyn who said that no street fighter could beat a trained martial artist. They didn't realize that these guys had to train for real on the inside so they won't become bubba's "special" friend or worse. Once they saw the training and some real fights they were convinced. One of the training methods is to stand in a front stance with one heel against a wall. Other inmates will take turns throwing real punches at you and all you can do is block and cover. Ten Tigers was correct. They use lots more creative realistic training methods that are usually only taught to blacks and Latinos.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by CFREW
    I THINK THIS IS REALLY RIDICULOUS . . . . . . . . . and also, what else is some one from america, (no personal digs at you guys)
    going to come out with, is it another means of making money
    This is nothing new. It has been around at least since the late 40's, maybe longer. Initially it was called Comstock boxing, named after Comstock Prison. Mel Gibson got a little training in Jail Rock (that's what it's called in some circles), for one of the Lethal Weapon movies.
    I have an old article showing some of their techinques. It's looks similar to Wing Chun or JKD in some aspects. Lots of knee kicks and elbows. When I find the article I can post it if anyone is interested in seeing some stills of what it looks like.
    http://www.geocities.com/delasalas2000/combatives.html
    PR
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 01-17-2006 at 09:14 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

?

looks pretty fine to me, but maybe i'm missing what's so special about it? looks like stuff i've learned from my sifu and sihings. but also, my sifu used to be a senior instructor in burmese boxing(bando) and trained muay thai as well before he learned jow ga, but i'm not sure if that's some correlation. also, one of my sihing's(i learn a lot from him) has had enough jail time and the jow ga he learned from my sifu proved to work well for him. maybe i should see more to see somethin "different", or maybe it was jus "new" for the times... anyway, looks fine to me. thanx for sharing.
    "Pride builds walls between people; Humility builds bridges."- R. Warren

To be honest, outlook is the more important factor here. The techniques aren't really any different, it's the manner and attitude with which they're applied that makes the difference. Kung fu, Ju Jitsu, Silat etc are all very effective combat systems, but the attitude with which we train doesn't really involve the fear that someones going to come at us with a shiv in the exercise yard.
    As for the ad, these ads are pretty common, it seems to be a new one every year, I've seen roman, celtic, norse, special forces and so on, all with a 3 page ad in IKF telling you how a 17year old girl with 6 weeks training beat down a 220lb Ju Jitsu instructor without breaking a sweat after watching the tapes, which can be yours for only $220 for the set and an accompanying book, and how the SEALS are now incorporating it into their training. It's really on a par with "secret Dim Mak" or even "perfect abs in 10 days". It's trading off people's laziness.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    i agree based off of the websited posted up that the techniques are nothing a martial artist hasn't seen before.

but what i think is the most important factor here is that these penitentary cats have nothing to lose ---thats jail mentality---so you put the effort into taking out your adversay with no mercy and if i go to jail, so what i'm used to it. not to forget that most everyone who does not have the heart of a tiger get pretty afraid of african american's because they are more aggressive, and this helps in making their style all the more deadly.

i could be totally off track here, but i think there's some truth to it.

hsk

An excerpt from an old BB article:
    http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/52/bb0774.html
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the information Phil, do you think these jail systems are complete in a sense of ground fighting, striking and of course edge weapons?

I didnt know that they had fighting systems in jail, i thought they just trained themselves inside privately of with room mate?!

I like the one leg on the wall training i may give this a try this week.

Does it use more fist then palms or other certain hand strikes?

anyone care to add?

regards
    Garry

from what I have been seen, alot of elbows, guntings,head and hair grabs, with pulling them into the elbows. Like I said, the hook punch is a real short snap. It is done in a motion like when you put on a coat,you kind of shrug your shoulder. We practice this with our head right on the heavybag. Lots of knees,shoves,and footwork from the jinga. There is also a side shuffle that advances in a zig/zag step and is on you like white on rice. There is also a hand motion that is combined with a shuffle whiole moving in and out-hard to describe, but it's like two circular inner blocks, palms forward, that slap down incoming strikes, or go right into traps, and grapples. I think it was mentioned in one of the articles. Might be called "creasing"? not sure of the name.
    I didn't learn alot, just bits and peices. Hey, whaddya want from a white boy?

Nasty fighting is nasty fighting.

Other than the marketing hell that most of these things get, it doesnt seem all that bad.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

JailHouse Rock is like WuDan,Emei, Hua-Shan, etc. Somebody comes out of te woodwork, does a video or article on something which cannot be substantiated, and makes a killing. It was simply a matter of time.