Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ghetto Blocks

The "Ball Busters"!!! Bring back some bad memories with that one. We had a fight with them almost every week. If it wasn't with them, it was with the Black Spades! Our steet training is really how we played outside. Besides the slap boxing and ground fighting we did. We would practice scaling walls. Jumping from high distances. Hurdling the hood of a car in a full run. Every day had the possiblity to be a fight day, or RUN day.

until now, I didn't notice the last three replies. TTT for more posts from sho nuff and nyhakka...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

zab judah has a fight here in may. they say he knows some form of 52
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I picked up a smatterring of Jailhouse Rock,(also called,52 handlocks,52 Blocks,Comstock Shuffle, and others) from someone who was inside, and another friend who was a PO at Rikers. Similarities to Kali, with footwork from Capoeira. (uprock in breakdancing came from the jinga in capoeira) lots of elbows, knees, and a real sneaky hook punch that is delivered nose to nose.(btw-when I teach the hook, this is the one I teach) If this is what he is teaching, it might be good stuff to pick up.
    Odds are, he is capitalizing on the name. Jailhouse Rock has an unwritten rule-only taught to Blacks. Kind of like Gung-Fu only taught to Chinese. But it's a matter of time.
    It's funny, however to see kids on the street using the moves that they saw someone else do who might have learned it. They are doing the shuffle, bringing their elbows up and slapping them-but when they fight, you cansee they don't know how to use it. It's like seeing guys strike a "Kung-Fu Pose" and then flail like a girl.
    Sad to say, they took all this information out of the wiki article on it...
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    JHR, Comstock, 52 Blocks, etc., is VERY effective. I'm from Brooklyn and have seen it in action many times. You also have to watch out if you're fighting someone and they start calling out numbers. They learn to hide single edge razors in pockets cut into their inner jaw when they're in jail. They can spit one out quickly between their fingers. The numbers called out are a means of intimidation. They are letting you know how many stitches you're going to get after you're slapped across the face of arm with the razor between the fingers. Back in the 70's I used to bring kung fu guys from Chinatown to Brooklyn who said that no street fighter could beat a trained martial artist. They didn't realize that these guys had to train for real on the inside so they won't become bubba's "special" friend or worse. Once they saw the training and some real fights they were convinced. One of the training methods is to stand in a front stance with one heel against a wall. Other inmates will take turns throwing real punches at you and all you can do is block and cover. Ten Tigers was correct. They use lots more creative realistic training methods that are usually only taught to blacks and Latinos.
    PR
    None of this is in the wiki article. Who'd they get to revise it?
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Kicking?

From the vids on youtube (yes, extensive research, I know) you can kinda get a feeling for how the hands work, and I read they use ankle, shin and knee kicks, but didn't see much evidence. I learned some interesting footwork from a Capoera Maestro I know, which was also referenced a bit in the info on 52 origins, and they have a lot of sweeps, foot traps and other groovy stuff besides the well known spinning and crescent high kicks. Maybe this has to do with the definition of "a fair one" vs combat application?

But a funny aside on Capoera, I asked him about 'finishing' and he laughed, "Capoera doesn't finish, we run away! Before, hurt someone and they kill you, trip them and run away is better."

I suppose if you came from a gangster lineage in TCMA you might see some similar attitudes and 'proven' techniques.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Sho Nuff & Phil

A shout out to my a fellow Army Brat - Frankfurt Germany was where I spent my teens and 20s'.

Hey Phil, lots of discussion on the impact of Wing Chun on 52, is that just because its the only 'short arm' Chinese Boxing people know, or do you see anything deeper?

There appears to be a kinda Kata for 52, which has a lot of the same kinda energy as Si Lum Tau, but its done progressively faster? And that 'roll up from from the floor up' looked a bit like chain punching. My thinking it its a bit of the TCMA, but a whole lot of "all roads lead to the same place". Haven't seen any low work, other than the knee to knee or other 'get small, come up big' moves.

Yea, this st1t is interesting, for sure. Plenty to steal. The hook with an out stretched hand Ten was talking about. Elbows out, side blocks that work by turning the waist not the shoulders. If you punch an elbow, it goes between the knuckles and roots your hand. The chopping punch is well known in TCMA. I've been putting the hands on the head for years, just like switching from right to left ir-rhythmically.

Every time I watch a fighter, I convert their movement to a kind of music. Its always consistent once you 'see' their music. Your response is like that with any musician, you get the feel only you crash their tune as opposed to harmonise with it, more or less. A bit of both.
    Watching these guys, the music is fast and much more like jazz, scary hard to read. Ok, so you'll either think I'm nuts or you'll get it. wtf.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

I didn't believe all those 52 blocks videos on youtube were real 52 blocks because of how lame so many of them look, so I contacted a buddy from bedstuy and asked him. He was telling me most of the knowledge of 52 blocks is now held by 5 per centers, or at least they're the ones that are known for it. I asked him if there were any videos on youtube that represented real 52 blocks, not just "blocking with your elbows and calling it 52 blocks". He sent me the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTQbi...=results_video. I don't know if you guys'll agree, and I don't expect everyone to, but I just thought I'd share what I got. I figure each person'll like it or not and agree with it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    I didn't believe all those 52 blocks videos on youtube were real 52 blocks because of how lame so many of them look, so I contacted a buddy from bedstuy and asked him. He was telling me most of the knowledge of 52 blocks is now held by 5 per centers, or at least they're the ones that are known for it. I asked him if there were any videos on youtube that represented real 52 blocks, not just "blocking with your elbows and calling it 52 blocks". He sent me the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTQbi...=results_video. I don't know if you guys'll agree, and I don't expect everyone to, but I just thought I'd share what I got. I figure each person'll like it or not and agree with it or not.
    i wish i can learn 52

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i wish i can learn 52

Me too Baweezy. But neither of us have the courage to contact those guys at the youtube channel, the money to travel to bedsty, the money to buy the razor blades and the kevlar vests, the discipline to undergo the grueling monkeybar workout training sessions; and lastly, neither of us are in the 5% Nation. So in the heck could we ever learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Faruq View Post
    Me too Baweezy. But neither of us have the courage to contact those guys at the youtube channel, the money to travel to bedsty, the money to buy the razor blades and the kevlar vests, the discipline to undergo the grueling monkeybar workout training sessions; and lastly, neither of us are in the 5% Nation. So in the heck could we ever learn?
    You can't.

Because it's B/S.
    Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Really? That's real Kung Fu?
    If so, I take back every negative thing I ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Specialed you do have a point there.

You can't.

Because it's B/S
    neither can you. that makes you BS too.