Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghetto Blocks

Eddie

What are you talking about? I was pointing out what signatures mark it as African. What fantasy am I having about Africa. I could also say that Europeans have far too many fantasies about their history and place in world history. For example, you classify yourself as "African," but you are not indigenous to the continent. You are a Boer whose Ancestors came from the Netherlands. Your phenotype was shaped in Europe, not Africa. It is a fantasy to call yourself an African as rightfully do the Amazulu, Thri-Venda, Ba-Pede, Kung! and San, et al.

I have no weird concept about Africa, and truly do not undertand what you are calling wierd...

Where did I say my name is Mayete.? My Amazulu name is Umuzi. I do not need your help in that regard. I am a researcher/practitioner of African combatives with over twenty years research on the subject. As regards African combatives, I doubt you have as much knowledge as do I on this subject. Unless you have something more contructive to offer, other than this baseless commentary, I do not see the point you are (rather rudely, IMO) attempting to make.
    Last edited by danmyete; 02-20-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Yeah Eddie, you d amn white guy you. How dare you call yourself African. Just because you were born and live there.

It's like blacks born and living in the USA saying thay are Americans.

Oh wait, they ARE Americans.

Hmm, someone could be overracting here.

Nah, not on an online forum. Never.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

I have a white South African living on the floor below me. Nice lady, really liked Nelson Mandela. Also (ancestry wise) as British as the day is long. Not a hint of boer in her ancestry.

Don't make assumptions about people if you don't know for sure.

And a gong fu forum may not be the best place to make shots about a random person's national self-identity. Rather out of place.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound
    I have spoken with my cousin who did time in Rikers and other NYC/NY jails over a 3 year period. He says he has never heard of it which means either it does not exist or they really do only teach/speak of it to blacks since he and a majority of everyone I know and did time with (well... payed any attention to when I did my time) is hispanic. I am going with the it does exist but only for african americans and is not to ricans and the likes. You boys have fun then with your little jailhouse rock (almost sounds cute). While us other minorities use our good plain ol' fighting experience.
    "(almost sounds cute)" ?
    Hmmm, that sounds a little condescending. I travel back east twice a year. I'll see if I can look up some people in Brooklyn that do JHR and I take a few clips to show you. I also know a Boricua that does JHR. He's an old friend from Ft. Greene, Brooklyn.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Umm...

I am not doubting it exists. I did say "I am going with the it does exist but only for african americans and is not to ricans and the likes". Are any of the people you are talking about not black?
    We're not gods. Not only are our powers limited, we are sometimes forced to become the devil himself.

African...

Greetings,

If memory serves me correctly (if not, I stand corrected), Eddie has said that his Ancestors arrived centuries prior to the British (in what is now S.A.). The majority of Europeans to have arrived there as such were the Dutch Ancestors of the Boers. If correct, that would make "Eddie" a descendant of the Boers.

"America" is a nation, and to be "American" is to be defined by "nationality," not ancestry. Thus, we have Chinese-Americans, AFRICAN-Americans, etc.

To be African defines not just a geograghical location (it does not define a nationality since it is not a NATION) but ancestry, just as to be European defines such (geograghical location and ancestry, not nationality).

My later critique of Eddie was in direct response to his assumptions about me relative to supposed African-American fantasies about Africa. I would like for him to point these out. Eddie should have focused more on the topic, and less on being a wiseguy. I never launched any attacks on Eddie personally. If anything, I merely attempted to refute what I considered distorted/erroneous information. It is Eddie, IMO, who launched the first Salvo.

One should not dish out what one does not wish to take. Perhaps we can get back to the subject(s): the origins of JHR in the African-American community among these.
    Last edited by danmyete; 02-21-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhound
    I am not doubting it exists. I did say "I am going with the it does exist but only for african americans and is not to ricans and the likes". Are any of the people you are talking about not black?

Hi hellhound.

Yes! Lopez(Puerto Rican), my uncle (Puerto Rican), and Luis (Puerto Rican). They did not learn it in jail. They learned from a friend (African American) who had at the time just gotten out of jail. This friend later added his karate to it. My friend Lopez mixed his with his western boxing. My uncle learned both versions and showed me some, but it was many years ago so I'm not smooth with mine.LOLOLOL JHR is really no secret anymore. Every kid in the hood atleast in NYC comes across it sometime in their life. Be it playing with a friend from the P's or actually learning it from someone in your crew. It kinda looks like up rock(the dance).LOLOLOL

Try to get your hands on Felony Fights. It's a DVD that showcases ex-cons thumping it out. This African American gentleman drops this (I think) Latino or Caucasion on his @ss using JHR. He was smooth with his!LOLOLOL

Take care,

Buby

Sheesh Dan, I didn’t mean for you to get so agro over this. I never insulted you, I also didn’t mean to seem like a wise ass, I just commented on something I think I know a little of. Its not something I googled or found info on at wikipedia either.

Quote Originally Posted by danmyete
    For example, you classify yourself as "African," but you are not indigenous to the continent. You are a Boer whose Ancestors came from the Netherlands. Your phenotype was shaped in Europe, not Africa. It is a fantasy to call yourself an African as rightfully do the Amazulu, Thri-Venda, Ba-Pede, Kung! and San, et al.
    Dan, the word “ Boer” is really a racist comment, typical to how you would see the word “******”. I’m not sure where you got that from, and Im not sure if that was your intention, but just so you know. I wont go and take offence to that either, stuff like that really don’t phase me much.

Because I’m white that means I’m not African? So all Americans are not Americans just because their Ancestors came from Europe too? That’s a ridiculous statement, and not a very mature one either. My native home language is an African Language. Its not spoken anywhere else in the world, it was created here and it is spoken down here. By blacks, by coloureds (what we call people with both black and white ancestry) and by white people. Actually, my language is called Afrikaans (in my language Africa is Afrika) and they call my “people” “Afrikaners”, which means Africans. But arguing about this with someone who doesn’t come from here, is silly really. You really don’t know anything about this place, or its people.

It is a fantasy to call yourself an African as rightfully do the Amazulu, Thri-Venda, Ba-Pede, Kung! and San, et al.
    Yep, it’s a fantasy. Just as it is a fantasy to call my self European. I cant even trace my family tree back (with certainty) for more than about 5 generations, so in the same way it would be ridiculous for me to even call myself European then, right? Funny, really. Are you African, or are you American? By your definition then, you have little right to claim either, really. We seem to be in the same boat then. Can we swap sides? I’d love to live in the states…

I have no weird concept about Africa, and truly do not understand what you are calling wierd...
    I see what allot of people are trying to sell as African, which is not even close to that. Culture, art, religion, whatever. That’s really what that comment of mine was based on. I also didn’t direct it at you, just in general. I stick to that. You really have no idea what Africa is all about.

Where did I say my name is Mayete.? My Amazulu name is Umuzi. I do not need your help in that regard.
    I do apologize, I took your nickname for your real name. Mayete is a common Sotho Name. Just for interest sake, in Zulu, Umuzi means “ House”.

I am a researcher/practitioner of African combatives with over twenty years research on the subject. As regards African combatives, I doubt you have as much knowledge as do I on this subject. Unless you have something more contructive to offer, other than this baseless commentary, I do not see the point you are (rather rudely, IMO) attempting to make
    I am a native to Africa. I have close to 31 years of PRACTICAL life experience in Africa, and African culture. I have been in quit a few fights with “Africans”, I have been stabbed by “Africans”, I have been held up with an AK 47 by “Africans”, I have cried with “ Africans” and I have laughed with “ Africans”. I deal with “Africans” every single day of my life. One of my best friends is a black South African. We are pretty close, and have gone through allot of things together. He is from a long line of Swazi Warrior family, and we share allot of things about martial arts. He is actually sitting here with me as I am typing, and he is laughing and making fun of me for this whole entire post, and your reply. My other Kung Fu training partner is Sotho (he is even related to one of the big opposition Politicians). He’s also done Xhosa stick fighting, Capoeira, and other "African" fighting arts, and we share allot of ideas about that too. Down here, in just about all of the native black cultures, all boys must go through initiation school. It is there where they all learn the finer things about their culture and ways. They also learn how to be a warrior and how to fight. A man is not a man, if he cannot fight. Fortunatly, being a white guy, I did not go through initiation school as them, but for the past 30 years I have lived closely together with people who has. We grew up together, and we lived and live along side each other. Closer than you can ever imagine. Most importantly, I see their culture and their way of doing things, every single day. We have also borrowed from each other’s cultures and ways over the last few centuries. So, I might not have allot of knowledge about this as you do, but I do still think I am qualified enough to comment, hence my replies.

I wasn’t even close to being a wise ass as you stated. I commented on the validity of African arts, and how allot of non Africans view African combat arts. When I say Non Africans, I include “ African Americans” (unless of course you actually lived in Africa like a Real African ). I did not question your knowledge of the art, I just stated my opinion that I think most of what is being sold as African, is clearly not.

To be African defines not just a geograghical location (it does not define a nationality since it is not a NATION) but ancestry, just as to be European defines such (geograghical location and ancestry, not nationality).
    Sorry, but that is probably the biggest bunch of nonsense I have ever read. But even so, my ancestors are also from Africa, somewhere along the lines they came from Europe, but the only ones I know of, all came from down here. Anthropologists also seem to be thinking that the San people were also not as pure as we think. There are actually some historians that think the Chinese and Indians were the first foreigners to visit this continent. The San people do have some Chinese features if you look closely. They also have Portuguese blood too. And Dutch. Oh yeah, and while on the subject, they speak the same language as I do. Just about all of the “ Bushmen” (what we call the Koi san people) actually speak our language much better than I do.

One should not dish out what one does not wish to take.
    Now there we speak the same language. Typical African thing to say. I can take just as much as I can dish, but I didnt eve start to dish out.

I will make a new post just below this one, where I will explain African arts and how I see it. Will even try to get a “ Real” African with knowledge on this matter to post here (maybe by the weekend). Hopefully by the time you get to read this, I would have posted it (its business hours now and i have to work too)

I recommended you look into a system called – the Piper system. If you want to know what real African Arts are all about, that would be a good place to start.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    just seem to me often that allot of African Americans have way to many romantic ideas about this place.
    I disagree with that.

If you are interested in African fighting, do a search on " Piper system". You wont really know what they talk about unless you have experience it yourself. Africa is a weird weird place .
    I've mentioned piper before - can't remember if it was here or on karateforums though.
    [/QUOTE]
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Buby
    Hi hellhound.

Yes! Lopez(Puerto Rican), my uncle (Puerto Rican), and Luis (Puerto Rican). They did not learn it in jail. They learned from a friend (African American) who had at the time just gotten out of jail. This friend later added his karate to it. My friend Lopez mixed his with his western boxing. My uncle learned both versions and showed me some, but it was many years ago so I'm not smooth with mine.LOLOLOL JHR is really no secret anymore. Every kid in the hood atleast in NYC comes across it sometime in their life. Be it playing with a friend from the P's or actually learning it from someone in your crew. It kinda looks like up rock(the dance).LOLOLOL

Try to get your hands on Felony Fights. It's a DVD that showcases ex-cons thumping it out. This African American gentleman drops this (I think) Latino or Caucasion on his @ss using JHR. He was smooth with his!LOLOLOL

Take care,

Buby
    I was thinking that if there was this much popularity it may just be a NYC thing if hisoanics are doing it too. Since my cousin never heard of it he probably just needed to ask and would of at least seen it. I still din't like the JHR name and think you should stick with the 52 blocks/strikes. Things brings up a question though, I've read Muslims use numerology. At the least 5 percenters do, so does anyone know if the 52 is an important Muslim numerology value? I think it would be interesting to know that. Well.. all techniques are good if practiced properly so I am kinda proud of the african-americans cames up with such a system in a time like the 1940s. However that is prrobably the time they need it the most. I think I will pass on the DVD though. I've seen enough of those situations in real life to last me 10 life times. So it would be a waste of time for me. Sadly, as stated I was put in jail for protecting (box cutter, I'm small znd he was big) the mother to be of my child and got a public defender so I ended having to do time and been through the whole prison riot down to getting beat in the back of a police car with a maglite at 12 and about 70 pounds. I'll stick with the far from reality crouching tiger stuff. Thanks you though for the suggestion. I am sure there are a bunch of meat head friends of mine who would most likely want to see it. Regards!
    We're not gods. Not only are our powers limited, we are sometimes forced to become the devil himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Sheesh Dan, I didn’t mean for you to get so agro over this. I never insulted you, I also didn’t mean to seem like a wise ass, I just commented on something I think I know a little of. Its not something I googled or found info on at wikipedia either.

Dan, the word “ Boer” is really a racist comment, typical to how you would see the word “******”. I’m not sure where you got that from, and Im not sure if that was your intention, but just so you know. I wont go and take offence to that either, stuff like that really don’t phase me much.

Because I’m white that means I’m not African? So all Americans are not Americans just because their Ancestors came from Europe too? That’s a ridiculous statement, and not a very mature one either. My native home language is an African Language. Its not spoken anywhere else in the world, it was created here and it is spoken down here. By blacks, by coloureds (what we call people with both black and white ancestry) and by white people. Actually, my language is called Afrikaans (in my language Africa is Afrika) and they call my “people” “Afrikaners”, which means Africans. But arguing about this with someone who doesn’t come from here, is silly really. You really don’t know anything about this place, or its people.

Yep, it’s a fantasy. Just as it is a fantasy to call my self European. I cant even trace my family tree back (with certainty) for more than about 5 generations, so in the same way it would be ridiculous for me to even call myself European then, right? Funny, really. Are you African, or are you American? By your definition then, you have little right to claim either, really. We seem to be in the same boat then. Can we swap sides? I’d love to live in the states…

I see what allot of people are trying to sell as African, which is not even close to that. Culture, art, religion, whatever. That’s really what that comment of mine was based on. I also didn’t direct it at you, just in general. I stick to that. You really have no idea what Africa is all about.

I do apologize, I took your nickname for your real name. Mayete is a common Sotho Name. Just for interest sake, in Zulu, Umuzi means “ House”.

I am a native to Africa. I have close to 31 years of PRACTICAL life experience in Africa, and African culture. I have been in quit a few fights with “Africans”, I have been stabbed by “Africans”, I have been held up with an AK 47 by “Africans”, I have cried with “ Africans” and I have laughed with “ Africans”. I deal with “Africans” every single day of my life. One of my best friends is a black South African. We are pretty close, and have gone through allot of things together. He is from a long line of Swazi Warrior family, and we share allot of things about martial arts. He is actually sitting here with me as I am typing, and he is laughing and making fun of me for this whole entire post, and your reply. My other Kung Fu training partner is Sotho (he is even related to one of the big opposition Politicians). He’s also done Xhosa stick fighting, Capoeira, and other "African" fighting arts, and we share allot of ideas about that too. Down here, in just about all of the native black cultures, all boys must go through initiation school. It is there where they all learn the finer things about their culture and ways. They also learn how to be a warrior and how to fight. A man is not a man, if he cannot fight. Fortunatly, being a white guy, I did not go through initiation school as them, but for the past 30 years I have lived closely together with people who has. We grew up together, and we lived and live along side each other. Closer than you can ever imagine. Most importantly, I see their culture and their way of doing things, every single day. We have also borrowed from each other’s cultures and ways over the last few centuries. So, I might not have allot of knowledge about this as you do, but I do still think I am qualified enough to comment, hence my replies.

I wasn’t even close to being a wise ass as you stated. I commented on the validity of African arts, and how allot of non Africans view African combat arts. When I say Non Africans, I include “ African Americans” (unless of course you actually lived in Africa like a Real African ). I did not question your knowledge of the art, I just stated my opinion that I think most of what is being sold as African, is clearly not.

Sorry, but that is probably the biggest bunch of nonsense I have ever read. But even so, my ancestors are also from Africa, somewhere along the lines they came from Europe, but the only ones I know of, all came from down here. Anthropologists also seem to be thinking that the San people were also not as pure as we think. There are actually some historians that think the Chinese and Indians were the first foreigners to visit this continent. The San people do have some Chinese features if you look closely. They also have Portuguese blood too. And Dutch. Oh yeah, and while on the subject, they speak the same language as I do. Just about all of the “ Bushmen” (what we call the Koi san people) actually speak our language much better than I do.

Now there we speak the same language. Typical African thing to say. I can take just as much as I can dish, but I didnt eve start to dish out.

I will make a new post just below this one, where I will explain African arts and how I see it. Will even try to get a “ Real” African with knowledge on this matter to post here (maybe by the weekend). Hopefully by the time you get to read this, I would have posted it (its business hours now and i have to work too)

I recommended you look into a system called – the Piper system. If you want to know what real African Arts are all about, that would be a good place to start.

wow... I learned a lot from this post!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

references to JHR in rap:

"Yo, we throwin 52 blocks at outside shots to bubble up the snot box
    No penalties or shot blocks, it's similar to Comstock, kid
    You catch an elbow in this hellhole of concrete
    Add a touch of soul before we compete..."

"Allah don't like ugly so I held back from bustin him
    I passed the burn off, he caught me from the blind side
    Tapped a nigga jaw, I shot my fifty-two style, and crazy raw..."

"Fifty-two cops can't withstand the 52 blocks
    Unless they bust like 52 shots
    I'm the has been that have not"

"Beat niggaz toothless, physically cut up like gooses
    But with iron* on the sides thugs took no excuses
    Therefore, your fifty-two handblocks was useless..."

all of the above were by members of the wu tang clan.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

lots of info here:

http://p209.ezboard.com/fmartialarts...picID=21.topic

and it mentions the 5 percenters, as someone here inquired...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Eddie

Thanks Your Reply-

Here is mine:

Please explain to me the rascist nature of the term "Boers," as it appears to be Afrikaans/Dutch. It is not at all the same as ****** since this epithet for African-Americans derives from twisting of Niger, Negro (used negatively in themselves) as a specifically negative terminology. Actually, "Afrikaner" was the term I intended to use but I have not visited the South African population-demographics issue for sometime now. The term is seen in encyclopedias, etc., and in many of the books I have read on the subject. You will have the Western education system taught the world over to thank for what you are classing as rascist. Since no one other than "whites" have coined the term, it is they to whom you will have to argue the merits, or lack thereof, concerning it.

As to whom is American or not, remember what I said about nationality versus ancestry. Further, given that European-Americans are the ones who coined the term, they most certainly can be consisdered as such. However, you mistate the case in saying the sentence "so All Americans are not Americans just because their Ancestors came from Europe too?" All citizens of the United States of America do not have Ancestors who came from Europe. Afrikaans is a derivative/dialect of European languages with elements of non-European languages contained therein, just as the American dialect of English is European/English with elements of African, Native-American, etc. languages mixed in. "American" English, including the African-American dialect of English, is not spoken anywhere else in the world either. Neither is the Boricua dialect of Spanish spoken in Puerto Rico, nor the Brazilian dialect of Portuguese, nor the Haitian patios of French. George Bush hails from Texas, with a perculiarly Southern-American dialect of English. Yet not one interpretor is needed to translate his dialect for British Heads-Of-State visiting the White House. His dialect, too, is not spoken "anywhere esle in the word." Yet it is still a dialect of English.

In the States, the word Coloured is a derrogatory word harking back to a rather out dated concept of "race." It is a rather regressive understanding of what is more properly viewed as ancestry. That "Coloureds," et al, speak your language does not confer African derivation upon it. It matters little what "they" call your people. It only matters how you can be defined ancestrally that can determine your ancestry. You have said that your maternal grandfather was Dutch, and that you also have German and French in your gene pool. They cannot not be Dutch, French and German ancestrally if they are ancestrally African. If they come from Europe, they cannot be African.

As to your bio, it would not matter if I swapped spit with a Golden Retriever, and barked all day like Shannon The German Sheppard, I would not be a canine. Let me share a very real story, and I shall here answer your question as to my location thru the story. Here, in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, USA, there was a rare variety of Eagle that had been raised in the Philly Zoo with hens, to the point where it attempted to cluck like a chicken. To make a long story short, it was raised to be as another bird. Yet, it was still an Eagle. It took a reentroduction into the behavioral pattern of Eagles to have it act according to its ancestry. Whether or not it was ever introduced into an Eagle's behavior pattern, there is no mistaking the fact that it was an Eagle. Moving it to a Zoo did not alter that fact either.

Tracing your family tree with certainty is less important than the genetic markers that would trace your ancestry back to Europe. You have said that you have Dutch, French and German Ancestry in your tree. How could you know that without tracing it with accuracy?

I am not interested in what people are selling as African. I know what is and what is not since I am involved in many African traditions, especially martially. It is doubtful that you have had experience with any African-Americans personally, and certanly, if at all, not beyond a seminar or tourist visit, yet you think you are qualified to speak on our thinking. You read books, news papers, watch movies or get info. from other forms of media and think you know the African-American psyche-please stop it. Let me tell you something; the overall sensibilities of African-Diasporans, at their core, are essentially African in behavior. Did you know that what is called rap is a form of combative poetry traditonally done by the Kwisamina linguistic poets of The Democratic Republic Of The Congo? Did you know that African herbalogy, rituals, speech patterns, body movements/poses, etc., hairstyles, dance patterns, etc., abound within African-American culture. Names like Fall, Bey, et al, are African. African hand gestures, handshakes, etc., are AFRICAN. We did not learn these things from TV. They remained with us here. My teacher from the DRC played a recording of traditonal music that is identical to music played by Africans from the Southern part of the states. The Banjo is AFRICAN. Rice cultivation from here derives from African rice cultivation. The same with African knowledge of blacksmithing. Are you kiddin' me?

I know more about African culture and martial arts than you'll ever know. I have forgotten more than you know.
    To call 52 Handblocks, Alto 52, Comstock and BumRush JHR shows how little anyone researching this art really knows. Not one practitioner of this variant of the art calls this system JHR. If you said JHR to them, they would not know what you are talking about (unless they look at popular media, thus gaining knowledge of the renaming of things they have done all of their lives).

Danmyete is the name of a practioner of Danmye. Majo is the name of a Danmye expert.

To say that the San, or reLated peoples, such as the Kung!, have Chinese ancestry, in order to attempt to explain the epicanthic fold as party of their eyelids is the most ludicrous, King Solomon's mines BS the world is likely to hear. They have this fold for the same reasons that Asians have it (and the San/Kung! are indigenous Africans, like my Ancestors, and not non-Africans as those with warped anthropological views have attempted to explain). It is due to needs derived from experiences in the desertified areas of Southern Africa and further to climatic conditions that favored a colder climate. Given that certain periods of the Southern portion of the continent can become quite cold, these, and not supposed genetic diffusion from some unknown Chinese naval voyage, are to explain the features you are attempting to ludicroulsy assign eslewhere. Chinese and Indians never reached inner Africa/Monomatapwa/the related Shona/Venda rock hewn villages/cities. Their goods did through a trade network controlled by Africans, just as African goods went to China and India via this same network.

What African arts are being sold as non-sense: Mani, Capoeira, Danmye, Mrenge, Yuna Onse, Side-Hold (an African-American wrestling tradition identical to Igbo Mgba)? By the way, my immediate family hails from Virginia. The concentration of Africans there are Igbo. I also have family from Georgia. The concentration there is "Bantu"/Central African/Angolan. Our foods, like Ocre, have African origins. Frying, as done with African-American Fried Chicken, here in the States, is African (though we had to substitute Palm Oil with Crisco). Barbecueing, as done here, is African. The "Ol' Time Religion" spoken of in African-American Christian congregations is our pre Christian, African religions.

Thanks for the discourse. Seguema
    Last edited by danmyete; 02-25-2006 at 12:37 AM.

Blog Entries
    As to whom is American or not, remember what I said about nationality versus ancestry. Further, given that European-Americans are the ones who coined the term, they most certainly can be consisdered as such.

However, you mistate the case in saying the sentence "so All Americans are not Americans just because their Ancestors came from Europe too?" All citizens of the United States of America do not have Ancestors who came from Europe.
    Well you're playing pretty loose with the boundaries there because last time I checked America was a continent (actually 2) not just a country or did you forget about our neighbors to the north and south?

And Africa is a continent yes but its also a nation....South Africa.

But it all pretty arbitrary really because what you're really saying is that because Eddie's is not of dark-skinned African descent that he's not African.

Well as far as science is concerned we're all African. Mitochondrial and Y-chromosome evidence points to a migration of hominoids out of Africa either 1,000,000 years ago or 100,000 years ago (according to the two main competing theories.)

The only difference is that your more immediate ancestors stuck around longer. His more immediate ancestors left and then returned.

As far as African culture goes...correct me if I'm wrong.... your saying that you know more about African culture then somebody who grew up there? Who's family has lived there for generations?

In the States, the word Coloured is a derrogatory word harking back to a rather out dated concept of "race."
    It really seems like you're the one drawing the lines of race here. Eddie's got light skin (racial feature) so he's not "really" African. So tell us what "really" African is? What does that look like? Sound like? Talk like? Walk like? What are the requirements? BTW, who makes up the requirements?

It is a rather regressive understanding of what is more properly viewed as ancestry. That "Coloureds," et al, speak your language does not confer African derivation upon it. It matters little what "they" call your people. It only matters how you can be defined ancestrally that can determine your ancestry. You have said that your maternal grandfather was Dutch, and that you also have German and French in your gene pool. They cannot not be Dutch, French and German ancestrally if they are ancestrally African. If they come from Europe, they cannot be African.
    Once again. Genetic evidence=we're all African. Just depends on what markers you're testing.

As to your bio, it would not matter if I swapped spit with a Golden Retriever, and barked all day like Shannon The German Sheppard, I would not be a canine. Let me share a very real story, and I shall here answer your question as to my location thru the story. Here, in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, USA, there was a rare variety of Eagle that had been raised in the Philly Zoo with hens, to the point where it attempted to cluck like a chicken. To make a long story short, it was raised to be as another bird. Yet, it was still an Eagle. It took a reentroduction into the behavioral pattern of Eagles to have it act according to its ancestry. Whether or not it was ever introduced into an Eagle's behavior pattern, there is no mistaking the fact that it was an Eagle. Moving it to a Zoo did not alter that fact either.
    Sorry, if that's not racism I don't know what is. You're comparing different races to different species? Last time I checked black and white people could have kids, chicken and eagles can't.

I know more about African culture and martial arts than you'll ever know. I have forgotten more than you know.
    I think that pretty much sums up your position:

"I'm African-American, you're a European-African and I know more about African culture than you do."

Just out of curiousity? Have you ever been to Africa?