Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Ghetto Blocks

I can imagine that in any prison there are prison cultures, probably a mix from all the different cultures of inmates. Majority of inmates are streetwise, not really University Educated professionals, so I can well imagine that this JHR has roots in street culture, and is influnced by thiss street ways. I would imagine that there are not allot of ground fighting sinvolved, cause lets face it, who wants to go to the ground in a prison fight? 10 000 other inmates will be just too willing to kick your head in while you are down there.

Seven star, you say you did hear about piper. if you are more interested, get in touch with the people on this ssite, www.urbanshield.za.net. More specifically Lloyed. It will be well worth your efforts.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    likewise, much of the JHR I got was from two inmates. The one CO from Rikers is a career Martial Artist, Isshinryu under Advincula, Muay Thai, Kyokushin, Kali, etc left Rikers because the CO's are worse than the inmates-his car was broken into, his locker was broken into, things were stolen-even he said CO's are slime and most of the inmates had a heckuva lot more honor. He went on to personal security, security at Brookhaven Labs, and "side jobs" overseas. he is or was, (not sure) involved with Blackwater. Definately not a cop.
    Washington Correctional, Elmira, and others are upstate, but mostly NYC, so you may be right that JHR is predominantly a NY state of mind.
    Let's try to take a different tack on this topic. Perhaps it would be more interesting if we discussed more in depth the actual techniques, and tried to piece this together. JHR, 52 , etc is out, There is now a video on Ghetto Blocks, or whatever, there is info out there on the web. It is now public domain. The shroud of secrecy is lifted. let's put our heads together and discuss this from a techniqe oriented perspective, before it becomes totally commercialized and there will be McPrisons teaching it, and all the "experts" come out of the woodwork.
    Once this gets out, Century will be selling Ghetto wraps-boxer's handwraps made from prison bedsheets or some sh1t. and rubber practce shanks.
    I can just envision the seminar circuit. somebody stop me, I'm startin to smell $$$

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers
    likewise, much of the JHR I got was from two inmates. The one CO from Rikers is a career Martial Artist, Isshinryu under Advincula, Muay Thai, Kyokushin, Kali, etc left Rikers because the CO's are worse than the inmates-his car was broken into, his locker was broken into, things were stolen-even he said CO's are slime and most of the inmates had a heckuva lot more honor. He went on to personal security, security at Brookhaven Labs, and "side jobs" overseas. he is or was, (not sure) involved with Blackwater. Definately not a cop.
    Washington Correctional, Elmira, and others are upstate, but mostly NYC, so you may be right that JHR is predominantly a NY state of mind.
    Let's try to take a different tack on this topic. Perhaps it would be more interesting if we discussed more in depth the actual techniques, and tried to piece this together. JHR, 52 , etc is out, There is now a video on Ghetto Blocks, or whatever, there is info out there on the web. It is now public domain. The shroud of secrecy is lifted. let's put our heads together and discuss this from a techniqe oriented perspective, before it becomes totally commercialized and there will be McPrisons teaching it, and all the "experts" come out of the woodwork.
    Once this gets out, Century will be selling Ghetto wraps-boxer's handwraps made from prison bedsheets or some sh1t. and rubber practce shanks.
    I can just envision the seminar circuit. somebody stop me, I'm startin to smell $$$
    You're right. . . LOL
    I love my country but that'd be so American.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

The Wu Tang Clan are from the Ft. Greene projects in Brooklyn. I lived on St. Felix and DeKalb right across the park from the projects. I can see them refering to 52 Blocks. There used to be lots of guys practicing in the park. I used to train WC students in the park so they could see what they could be up against. Then they had to come up with spitting razors betweent their fingers and slapping people across the facr or arms. I would say grab a stick, tree branch, run to a car and break off the antenna, etc. That's was before they made retractable antenna.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Newsome Interview

What up Fellas? This is a lil something I found on the subject. Enjoy!

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/jhr7.html

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/ug/jhr3.html

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/52/52jhr.html

Be easy,

Buby
    Last edited by Buby; 02-25-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Clueless In Joburg

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Danmayete,

Are you being serious?! Knowing someone in the 80s hardly qualifies you to tell me about MY culture and MY people. That’s the biggest joke. You obviously know nothing, and your responses indicated that. You try to disguise your lack of real knowledge with clever wording from the bits and pieces you picked up on goog,e, but you don’t really answer anything. I also never argued about being black, I’m happy to be white. I have little ambition to change my race or culture, there is however a HUGE difference between being black and being African. But, this wasn’t the argument. You think you know about African culture and the so called African combat arts, but you obviously know nothing, you still did not even reply to the questions of where in Africa you have ever been. You speak of stuff no one knows about, you mention words no one understands, and you seem to mix up the cultures with their respective demographics. You mention Bantu Drumming from Central Africa, where as the word Bantu is a distinct Zulu term, they hail from Southern Africa. You obviously have no clue. Im not going to argue with you about this anymore, as you are either a troll or just plain ignorant.

Of course you're not, as you need that time to talk to my elders to gather your field research for the African arts you do not practice. What expert talks about something, with such expertise, that he does not practice? Now, why would you, the Afrikan, consider AFRICA as WEIRD. No REAL AFRICAN would look at it that way. That could only be a decidely non-AFRICAN way of viwing your supposed HOMELAND. Maybe you can teach me good old African words like Johanesburg. Real Nguni words like that. You do not know anything about Africa because, like Johnny Clegg, your a wannbe, and because you are not African-you are an Afrikaner (your words), BIG difference. Perhaps you can tell me all about Afrikaner dancing/martial arts. I'm always eager to learn.

Either way, I will tell you, you know NOTHING about Africa, nor do you know anything about African fighting arts.

In one breath you say I know nothing, in another, you concede the art I know "may be " "legit." Make up your mind.

And heres some more proof. You are trying to make as if African Arts are ass well structured as Asian arts (for example) by even coming up with names for techniques. Tell me, what language are you using. Those are neither Shona nor Nguni terms. Is it some lost African language that African Americans from Virginia speaks?

Come into the light, Carol Anne...Because you can spout off about stuff you got from school means nothing-what AFRICAN art do you pracitce-not your giggling "friend," not the cleaning women-YOU...If you are AFRICAN, then surely you practice an AFRICAN "artform," right? If so, how is it expressed/performed.?Don't give me Johhny Clegg dance troup dancing-giving the art you do...Tick. Tock. Tick, Tock...Quick, hurry, get your Johnny Clegg books out!

African arts are structured, the African way. Zulu stickplay is a fom of structure, or didn't you know that. Since I have never compared African arts to Asian arts, how could I be linking their structures?

Its pretty simple to see if something comes from Africa, if you have ever spend time here, you would have known what to look for. What you mention, doesn’t mark African origins.

You're correct. So, then, please tell me the art that you do which comes from Africa?

So this art you are selling is not practical?

Huh? Ya got me there, as I haven't a clue what you mean.

One need to prepare for battle to be able to fight to full capacity?

Do you know what Libanda means? Concentrate on Sticky Hands,as you haven't a clue...

Unless you are talking about war strategy, this makes little sense.

What makes little sense?

I can tell you, have you ever heard of African Time? If someone needs to go prepare for the bout first, the chances are that the fight would never happen.

More proof to tell me you see it from a WESTERN point of view. But we cant blame you, you are a Westerner after all.

African tradition pre dates the Slavery Era in Central Africa. When you talk African Fighting arts, please stick to African fighting arts, and not what some people in the west think were African arts. Also, please supply historical proof of some of your claims. Again, non of those terms makes an sense from an African point of view.

No its not. Its only a brief idea of what you, a Westerner non African, American think is part of an African tradition.

Whether or not your art is ligit as a martial / fighting art is irrelevant. It may be practical, it may work, but don’t sell it as something it surely is not.

What are you babbling about. In order for you, (Kin of Clegg, whom you phenotypically resemble-in fact, the site of him doing Zulu "war " dances looks absolutely ridiculous, as he looks goofy doing it, probably the way you look doing it, and does not have the nuances to do it justice, to know that I am "selling" something that it is "surely not," you had better be able to show me that it is "surely NOT." I gave you the name of an art from right in your "country," yet you know it not. You contradict yourself in, on the one hand referencing that the art may be legit, which it is, but, then declaring that I am selling something that it is not, without a shred of Johnny Clegg proof of "what it is." Stick to "Kung Fu," which is probably what you know best. You mention a few ethnic groups as if they are the sole representations of African peoples. Because you have a "black friend" who giglles with you as you write, or a cleaning lady who blah, balh, balh, you think you know. When I see Johnny Clegg, I do not see a Zulu. It is highly unlikely that you resemble one either, which will be made all the more glaring were you to do Zulu dancing among Zulus I, however, would be extraordinarily indistinguishable.

You, yourself, clearly do not practice any of them, as you need to obviously get help on info. from some one who actually does. You wouldn't know how to do an African art, like Libanda, to save your life. The flexible body and rthyms issues alone would kill you. Your hips are probably too stiff to do it and, since its not ballet, flying up in the air, but ground centered/rooted, you'd fall apart instantly.

And, also, S.A. has nothing on any major U.S. city in terms of violence. Right now, I am typing you from Temple UNIV., IN THE HEART of Bill Cosby's Richard Allen projects (now yuppied somewhat further East of Broad & Cecil B.); it "don't" any more dangerous than that. IT'S THREE in the morning, I'm leaving work as I do 5 days a week and without fear. Libanda is no game. Now, what AFRICAN ART DO YOU practice, and from what Amakhanda did you learn it? You know snot.

Try again-and don't post stuff some body tells you-post the AFRICAN ART YOU ARE INVOLVED IN.

I am busy with my report on REAL African Fighting Arts, and I will post this on another forum when I am done with it.

I support that this topic be moved.
    I am looking forward to the wonderful African arts you do.
    Last edited by danmyete; 02-25-2006 at 01:37 AM.

I never contradicted myself, your defense was pathetic. Whats even more pathetic is someone who has never even been to Africa, trying to argue with someone who was born and grew up here. Your remark about violence in the USA is also pointless and childish at best. What you sell, is westernised crap sold under an African banner. Because you are black, you may think you can get away with it. Do you also issue degree ranks in your African art? You must be a 10th degree right? I can just imagibne what you look like - do you also wear those " African" Dresses (we call them Madiba shirts) with those muslim cap things?

You are most welcome to come down here and look me up when ever you are in SA. Heck, I'll even accomodate you. Even better, I will let you stay with friends in a REAL African township with REAL African people. Lets see if you will survive.

You know nothing about me, or my people, or my country. You are what you are, an African American. I admire that you are trying to trace your roots, but open your eyes and try to see the truth. Unless you have been to Africa, which you have not - cause you have not replied to my questions- you actually have no leg to argue with me when I say this place is really really weird. I did not say that in an un patriotical way, if you come to Africa you will know what I mean.

All my details, contact numbers and everything is on my website which you can find a link in my profile. My real name is also on my site, not hard to see, Eddie is the short an easy version. I openly invite you to come over and " Experience" your roots, and only after that, you might be somewhat qualified to talk to me about MY homeland and MY people.

No issue to be an American either, be proud of your , allot of people would kill to be an American. You live in the best managed country in the world. Despite of what we may think of the politics.

You have a standing invite, till then, I wont discuss anything else with you anymore. Its not worth arguing with someone like you
    Last edited by Eddie; 02-25-2006 at 07:45 AM.
    得 心 應 手

Hellhound... You remind me... I gotta listen to more Wu Tang Clan...

Mabey it's just the beer talking but.... I like hip hop and Jae Cho just doesn't cut muster.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Sure!

Glad to be of service

I did find out about the numerlogy of the 52 stricks/52 blocks/JHR and the 52 is how many cards are in a deck and these are the cards you have been dealt in life (meaning prison is the cards you have been dealt).

Seems I actually found something with useful info about the topic. Although there seems to be allot of info out there on it. Peace out!
    We're not gods. Not only are our powers limited, we are sometimes forced to become the devil himself.

Good Ol Jhr

There was once a great discussion about JHR/52 HB et al on the mma.tv website. The man posting was doug century, the author of Street Kingdom. Reading that book will give you some idea of it. Also check out FIST, STICK, KNIFE,GUN by a Black American whose last name is Canada (Joe CAnada?) In it he gives detailed accounts of "street" type training methods-people slap boxing or using clenched fists w/o contact to the face (remember, this was training.)

I find these types of fighting fascinating for several reasons. One is they are very "tribal" or loose in structure-no rules, formulas, stances, etc. In that regards I think it is more creative and allows for a faster learning curve. Aside from some techniques that are shared the rest of the training appears to be much physical conditioning and various types of sparring (without gear.) See my description above from MR. Canada's book about some of the methods.

Technique wise there are moves that you would recognize from any martial art-chuan fa, jiu jitsu, boxing, silat, etc. Again I think what stands out is that it is less formalized, more spontaneous/creative and very flowing. It reminds me of African and Indian tribal methods as well as some of the more modern JKD/BLAUER type sytems (where one is mostly just taught "tools", eg a jab, and different drills to apply it.)

To finish off of course it is the brutality of the streets/prison, fighting experience, meaness and conditioning that wins out. Even in Doug Centurys book (where he basically hung out with a street crew or gang for a year or so) there is a line to the effect that there was one bad ass in the hood that no one wanted a part of, regardless of whether or not they knew JHR. That fella went by the name Magic Mike or Iron Mike. His real name was Mike Tyson

I would personally love to train/be taught by its exponents for the simple reason that they are often tough, skilled and EXPERIENCED in fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by iblis73
    . . . .
    To finish off of course it is the brutality of the streets/prison, fighting experience, meaness and conditioning that wins out. Even in Doug Centurys book (where he basically hung out with a street crew or gang for a year or so) there is a line to the effect that there was one bad ass in the hood that no one wanted a part of, regardless of whether or not they knew JHR. That fella went by the name Magic Mike or Iron Mike. His real name was Mike Tyson
    You mean that former stickup kid from one of my old Hoods, Brownsville, Brooklyn?
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

danmyete, Eddie

The real Americans were the people native to the land but ALL citizens of the U.S. call themselves Americans. I think Eddie has the same right.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Eddie

What part of America have you been to? But you are quite the expert on African-American culture/behavior, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by danmyete
    What part of America have you been to? But you are quite the expert on African-American culture/behavior, etc.
    Florida, California, Ney York
    得 心 應 手

Phil

Here is my perception. No one has debated the first peoples to have peopled this hemisphere/continent. However, Africa is not a country, therefore, you cannot be a citizen of it. I am not arguing that one cannot be South African (as in: a citizen of South Africa, the nation). However, I disagree with that if we are assigning ancestry as it has traditionally been used to define the various, "major" branches of our species. The only time Western scholars have attempted to twist the very divisions to which they have attempted to assign these branches as in attempts to overtly, or covertly, assign either Western or hypothetical "Caucasoid" (which in itself is stretched ad nauseum) origins to practices deemed worthy of note according to a Western paradigm of what may be considered noteworthy. An example is attributing non-African origins to ruins stretching from Mozambique to Southern Africa (i.e. the Great Zimbabwean cultural complex).

My initial thread dealt with the connections between traditional African fights and those of the diaspora. I revealed some core paradigms which tended to support this idea. Eddie, instead, chose to attack what he assumed was my African-American attitudes relative to Africa and my presumed promotion of repackaged non-African arts as African. I provided several arts of which I am a relatively beginning practioner as support for my contention. I was then told that what he supposeldy knows about African combatives (which, at best, can only be relegated to the region of the content in which he resides) supports the idea that African/African-derived arts such as LIBANDA (STILL DONE ON THE CONTINENT) and DANMYE (DONE IN MARTINIQUE) are my own repackaging (of arts he has yet to isolate as such), despite not even having a passing awareness of these traditions. Even a cursory investigation into Danmye would negate guess work on ones part, and the very reason why I stumbled upon this site was due to a search engine on Ladja, which is a thread on this site. Clearly, it is an extant tradition.

I am "sorry" if Danmye, of its own existence, exists as a codified martial system. The Majo/Danmyetes who developed it are to be held accountible for that. That it has names for techniques, an inherent philosophy and practice regimen is not my problem. They exist and that is all there is to it. I am sorry if African martial/spiritual traditions have breathing techniques (hundreds to be exact-some while lying, standing, "dancing/tensing the muscles, flexing the spine/joints, sitting, etc.) or that the Kung! of the Kalahari have the concept of vital energy (Nnum) boiling from the stomach or spine and, then, rising up the body from those areas as a vapor (see the text 'Boiling Energy), or that Amazulu has a similar method for vital energy manipulation (Umbilini-Libido) and related breathing methods used by Sangomas and Nyangas, which do not fit a Western/modern paradigm of what African spirituality is supposed to be (despite the utter lack of info. on actual African spiritual practices in the first place).

That I classify my self as African ancestrally is not just a right but ancestrally accurate. One must not confuse nationality with ancestry. And as I've said, there are no black, white or yeollow peoples. If that is the case, then Doc Fai Wong is a yellow-American, and Gandhi was a Brown-South African. Check most current encylopedic info. on the subject. Even these sources support this idea (that American citizens of African descent are African-American, as in American citizens who are ancestrally African). I am sorry if that is the case but, if Bruce Lee can be considered Chinese, though an "American" citizen of at least partial German ancestry, then certainly I can be considered of African Ancestry with no known non-African genes in my gene pool.

Let me conclude by saying this: I believe that the arts of all cultures should be preserved and promoted for the youth of those cultures and our species as a whole. Chinese arts, as are all others, are wonderful expressions of human ingenunity in the face of adversity. These arts are no better or worse than those of my own ancestry; they are simply different. I am not an advocate of mixing cultural paradigms. To me, it is not essential, since I am not of the belief that a specific culture has exhausted every means of problem solving from within its own cultural mileau. Within the matrix of each of these are the germs for problem solving, and one need not reinvent the wheel to do so. Within each cultural are the codification of experiences that may be used as templates for surmounting obstacles. Choy Li Fut and Danmye are but two of these.

My vision is to correct the discrepancies concerning a perception of Africa's contribution to the human experience, to provide means of empowerment for her peoples and, by extention, to do what Chinese elder Bruce Lee sought to accomplish in his life time: using his ancestral martial arts as a vehicle for cultural interaction and, by extention, as a means to finally reach our journey, as a species, towards mutual respect. It is my belief that when the West respects its own traditions, not egocentrically, but fully, as the nurturing empowering tools that traditions provide, that our species will have gone along way towards that goal.

This is not about "Eddie," but, rather, about a paradigm shift that is sorely needed if that mutual respect is to be achieved.
    Last edited by danmyete; 03-01-2006 at 05:47 PM.