Thread: standing

standing

does anyone know the energetic effects of the various standing meditation postures? i've been standing regularly for about 6 or 7 years now, but i've been unable to figure out why the different postures? any ideas?
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

UUUUHHHHHHHH......

If you've been standing for 6 or 7 years, and have not yet felt the various effects of different postures, you're doing something very, very wrong.

This is not something that can be addressed on a forum. You should have a good teacher look at what you're doing....

allow me to clarify: i didn't mean that i haven't felt any effect from the postures. i have, over the years, found huge improvement in the quality of my standing practice as well as my taiji practice (because of the standing practice, no doubt). what i am asking is: does anyone know if specific postures affect specific meridians/organ sytems, etc.? or are the variations in arm position just there to giv you something else to do so you don't get bored with the same exercise day after day?
    thanks for the feedback...
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by qiphlow
    allow me to clarify: what i am asking is: does anyone know if specific postures affect specific meridians/organ sytems, etc.?
    Yes. But again, if you know more than one, you SHOULD be able to have felt which meridians were affected by which postures after all these years....

Some teachers will tell you which postures affect what, some won't since doing so tends to establish preconceptions and expectations that will hinder progress. I have found the latter to be quite valid in my own experience, and in teaching others. But heres a hint: pay attention to which tendons in your arms get a "stretch" from each posture.

does anyone know the energetic effects of the various standing meditation postures? i've been standing regularly for about 6 or 7 years now, but i've been unable to figure out why the different postures? any ideas?

Thus, I have heard,

if one is Relax enough physically, Quiet enough in mental, and nature enough in breathing.

Then,

There is no reason one will not feel what happen.

being unable to figure out basically pointing to the Physically is not holistically Relax enough and mentally the mind is not Quiet down enough. Thus, I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by QuaiJohnCain
    hint: pay attention to which tendons in your arms get a "stretch" from each posture.
    Thus, I have heard,

as the classical said " Qi flows all over the body without stagnation a bit"

1, There must not be a stretch in meditation posture.
    2, Qi is flowing in the Relax/loosely expanding area instead of the stretch one.

Thus, I have heard.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-07-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik
    Thus, I have heard,

as the classical said " Qi flows all over the body without stagnation a bit"

1, There must not be a stretch in meditation posture.
    2, Qi is flowing in the Relax/loosely expanding area instead of the stretch one.

Thus, I have heard.
    First of all, I honestly don't think your english is nearly good enough to participate without misunderstandings....

Second, do not take my use of the word, "stretch" so literally. There is a reason I put the word in quotation. To demonstrate that I was using the word as an analogy describing an actual sensation our friend qiphlow could look for.

You seem unable to do more than parrot the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by QuaiJohnCain
    First of all, I honestly don't think your english is nearly good enough to participate without misunderstandings....

Second, do not take my use of the word, "stretch" so literally. There is a reason I put the word in quotation.

To demonstrate that I was using the word as an analogy describing an actual sensation our friend qiphlow could look for.

You seem unable to do more than parrot the classics.

1, dont get mad at a Parrot. it is only different opinions>

2, if you dont make it clear and specific? Who knows what "stretch" means beside you?

3, Back to the subject,

Thus, I have heard,

the "looking for Sensation" is the Number ONE cause of getting one into trouble in the practice of Internal art.

It is a principle one dont want to violate with all cost.

As the classical said, " one must surf the nature" that means one must not clink to or look for any sensation. sensation or not, one's mind is in the state of observation within silence. One knows all the sensation comes and goes but doesnt look for or disturb by it.

Looking for sensation is having a Distrubing mind/heart. That is pulling the reverse gear of cultivation.

Thus, I have heard.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 02-08-2006 at 01:00 PM.

thank you all for your answers. let me address something: i understand the need to not focus on sensation, to relax mind and body, etc.etc.....
    my reason for asking the question in the first place was only out of curiosity, not for a need for instruction or anything. i was just wondering what was the point of the various postures of standing meditation. just as postures in the taiji forms have different applications, thus it would seem that the arm positions in standing have different "applications" as well. make sense? if anyone can offer anything, (without telling me that i must be doing something wrong) please feel free...

thank you all for your answers. let me address something: i understand the need to not focus on sensation, to relax mind and body, etc.etc.....
    my reason for asking the question in the first place was only out of curiosity, not for a need for instruction or anything.
    Cool, no sweat. I certainly did not mean to come off as instructive... That's the problem of textual communication- no voice inflections or facial microexpressions that convey the whole of our intentions....

i was just wondering what was the point of the various postures of standing meditation. just as postures in the taiji forms have different applications, thus it would seem that the arm positions in standing have different "applications" as well. make sense? if anyone can offer anything, (without telling me that i must be doing something wrong) please feel free...
    Awesome, awesome question man. Really good teachers will have you go throgh a special order of specific postures to compliment any forms/techniques you might be working on. Ending postures of forms can be used this way, and by all means stop in the middle of a transition (and make the trouble point a standing posture) if you feel you need to work on that particular movement.

Then there's methods like I-Chuan, which employs a specific order of postures to practice in order to improve the ability to root, store, and release force. It is based on Xingyi but the practice can tranfer to ANY martial art. It also employs the use of a partner to provide resistance/force to practice redirecting, storage, and release.

Here's a link to an article on I-Chuan by Henry Look:
    http://www.guangpingyang.org/newslet...01/i_chuan.htm

Hope this helps! Good luck, friend...

Hendrick, you sound like a fortune cookie. Thus? Oh brother.