Thread: Ip Man - Luk Sao in Chi Sao vs. What?

Question Ip Man - Luk Sao in Chi Sao vs. What?

Hey all,

I have heard that some other non-Ip Man lineages of WCK use a different base movement or structure in Chi Sao, other than the standard Luk Sao – Tan/Bong rolling.

Has anyone seen these other kinds of rolling/non-rolling or structures used in other WCK lines? If so can you explain how it is used and why?

Any information would be appreciated, pics/vids would help.
    Last edited by YungChun; 01-19-2006 at 12:49 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

I show examples of the most basic version in Yuen Kay-San Wing Chun Kuen: History & Foundation

These drills are found in Yuen Kay-San/Sum Nung Wing Chun (which also has Luk Sao), Cho Ga and Koo Lo (which don't). I don't remember if Pan Nam has them as well as its Aat Yiu excercises, but they don't have Luk Sao, nor does Pao Fa Lien.

What's funny is when I (Sum Nung) met up with Hendrik (Cho) or Jim (Koo Lo), we immediately rolled with these platforms with no compatibility problems what-so-ever--they were nearly identical across our branches. Same experience I've had with Yip Man people and Luk Sao.

Once you're familiar with the folk-story, they say Luk Sao was developed later in Foshan when Yuen Kay-San and Yip Man (who were neighbors) worked out together, and if you're familiar with the older platforms, its pretty easy to see how Luk Sao evolved. It just combines many of the separate platforms into one exercise where you go up and down, in and out, and use more seed hands at the same time (rather than breaking them down into components).

It's also similar to Dan Chi Sao, which is something Yip Man's HK students developed in the modern drill sense of the term (others use the term to mean different things, so I'm talking specifically about the Yip Man single hand drill here). If you know the versions from other arts, you can see how a few component drills were put together to make one compound drill.

Smart stuff!

We have 5 different 2 handed platforms . The Yip Man Luk Sao -poonsau is the first one we learn. The others are used to train different things such as closer range grappling,use of hips and lower body,linking unlinking,footwork flexability among other things are taught.