Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Criticism: wwyd

Criticism: wwyd

so the company i work for has a couple other martial artists under its employ.

they found out that i do practice traditional kung fu.

they are both tae kwon do practitioners.

every so often, nearly everyday but at least every two days, they make cracks about how kung fu guys always are getting thier asses beat and how its not an effective martial art.

i know its a crock

i just get a vision of moving in with some tiger and letting them know whats up. but i bite my tounge and laugh with them instead.

its been going on for about a year now. but still i remain silent.

what would you honestly do in this situation?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

keep smiling.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

lol thats my plan.

i had thought about secretly sending each of them that exibition of the shaolin guy vs the tae kwon do guy.

it would be secretly funny.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

My sister-in-law was like that for a while - she does Shotokan. Then she saw me spar. She is a bit more respectful now
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Maybe if you're real nice to them they won't bother you any more. Or, you could simply run away every time they come around.

Seriously, if you don't have the confidence to give them back what they are giving you, you need to train more, or find a better Master. They should see it in your eyes.

What are you afraid of? Are they right or wrong? Whatever it is, deal with it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    so the company i work for has a couple other martial artists under its employ.

they found out that i do practice traditional kung fu.

they are both tae kwon do practitioners.

every so often, nearly everyday but at least every two days, they make cracks about how kung fu guys always are getting thier asses beat and how its not an effective martial art.

i know its a crock

i just get a vision of moving in with some tiger and letting them know whats up. but i bite my tounge and laugh with them instead.

its been going on for about a year now. but still i remain silent.

what would you honestly do in this situation?

The same thing used to happen at my old office. So I stepped up to the people making cracks and played around a little bit - all voluntary, all good natured and not trying to hurt them - but demonstrated enough martial skill that the cracks stopped.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

wow ... even tkd guys make fun of kf now.

i wouldnt secretly send them the clip id show them from my cube.

a bunch of my buddies do the same thing to me even though they dont seem to think of me as a chump. so i'm going to prove them wrong here in a couple months. we got a couple of guys who arent that much bigger than me and im working my way up to full contact sparring over the next 6 months or so. i may or may not do a fight with one of em within the next year.
    where's my beer?

its not a matter of whether i have the confidence or not. i know i can take them. i would be willing to fight both of them.

a few times one of them hs thrown kicks at me. i block and laugh.

i am friends with these people so it would be incorrect of me to play the part of a vengful child. ignorant comments are not strong enough to actually disturb my calm of mind. its just annoying.

i was talking with my roomate and i decided what i will do next time one of them throws a kick at me; im going to catch it in tiger claw and move in for a kill stroke. let them feel my claws on thier throat.

anyhow the feeling i get from thier demenor i believe they speak through intimidation.

I dont plan on puffing up my chest and playing the kock dance to get my point across.

also the dojan they attend has just recieved a new bb. now this person is coming to my school to train. also i have made them aware of my teachers background, and frankly, not too many americans have a teacher who has had the opportunity to train as my sifu has.

regardless this thread was made to see what other peoples reactions would be in this situation. as a kung fu practitioner we all face an enormous amount of critisism in this age.

i dont nor did i plan on basing my reaction on anyones comments. just spilling time at work.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Respectfully suggest a light contact sparring match. When they start to talk about rules give them a puzzled look & say rules? Then when you spar let your skill do the talking.

I had exactly the same issue with a Hapkido player a few years back. I called his bluff (admittedly I was drunk at the time...usually couldn't be bothered but he had been irritating me for months) and we arranged a polite sparring match.

It lasted a good 10-20 seconds before he called time from three unchecked leg kicks to his lead leg. He no longer gives me grief about my style.

There comes a time when the idiots won't go away if you ignore them.

p.s. While I think about it no disrespect to Hapkido. Just this one guy was a w@nker.
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

PangQuan, I would advise you to not "tigerclaw" their throat, you are at work...it makes no sense to jeopardize your job over such foolish behaviour.
    If they insist on throwing kicks at you, tell them that you will spar with them but not at work!

naw

ill make sure and do it in the hall on passing. when no one else is around. im not worried about accidentally hurting him. wont happen. i know them pretty well. i have been working with them for about a year and a half.

im sneaky like that.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

RIGHT, so they practice that well known combat style TKD and they're giving you grief? I've always found that TKD guys seem to have an over inflated sense of their own effectiveness (not to detract from TKD as a system in itself, but at least 95% of schools teach sport orientated BS with no decent application, indeed, I learned more about how to use TKD in my first 6 months of Kung Fu than I did in 3 years of TKD). Next time they kick you you're probably best off either cathing their foot and holding it there, taking their back foot or both.
    You know, I never get this, and I think there is something in Yum Cha's comment. It's kinda like the Lama principle Chan (ruthlessness), people should realise that you're not someone to be trifled with.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I hadn't had that problem since college. A friendly sparring match usually settles it, but straight blast's comment on their "rules" holds a lot of truth with every TKD guy (or a girl I dated) that I've ever sparred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    First -how old are you, and how old are they?
    second-how long have you been training, and in which style?
    third-forget the chestthumping, tiger clawing, crap. This will only get things worse. Depending on your age, ego, testosterone levels, and maturity, (nevermind the beer factor, or if there are women in your office..) this can get out of hand.
    BUT...since you want to keep it friendly, why don't you "Play" with them? You say they will throw kicks in fun at you? Well, that is their fight, and we NEVER fight their fight, we fight OUR fight. And are we known for? We can fight in a phonebooth. Get close to them, and take their space, trap them and have fun with them in a range that TKD guys just don't have. For the most part TKD guys (unless they're from an old school-rather than modern tKD)have zero hands.
    But keep it in a friendly, good-natured manner. Do NOT let this escalate.
    Don't let your ego get between you and your friendships,or your job.

TT, use the profile function man Apparently he's 26 and does Hongquan and wushu (and their non graders are expected to do gub defences and butterfly kicks )
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk