Thread: can anyone help me?

can anyone help me?

Can someone tell me what "goon" is please because I can't find anyone who knows apart from my sifu who says find out. Any help... pm or in forum

Chinese is a tonally inflected language, and Cantonese doesn't have a standardised romanisation format, so if you could put it into context for us (is it a technique, a weapon, a principle?) then we could be more helpful.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I'm guessing this is Cantonese and I don't know bupkiss about Cantonese. Sorry.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Blog Entries
    by the word you are using it sounds like the word for "school" for martial arts.

others would use KWOON, GUAN, but even my sifu based off of the sounds writes out the word GOON. for example, HUNG SING GOON (GUAN, Kwoon).

to tell you the truth, i wouldn't trust a teacher who wouldn't tell you that the word meant school or studio. where you practice your gung fu is your goon.

hsk hits the correct over the head and drags it home to entretain the kids.

My canto buddies refer to what we call a kwoon (martial training hall) as a "goon", at least they pronounce it that way.

But yeah, it's a martial training hall, unless of course it's yet another dialectic version of the word used for staff (gun or gwun).
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Goon? Well it's a bad guy of course.

yeah, but that would be a 'hired goon'.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    no you are all super off target. the true meaning of goon is a member of the Goonies who is all by himself. how sad! he's a lost goon with no goonies to count on.

Blog Entries
    serisouly though,

because they are students of our "goon" they jokingly call themselves "goonies".

But yeah, it's a martial training hall, unless of course it's yet another dialectic version of the word used for staff (gun or gwun).
    Actually, that's how it sounds to my non-Chinese ears when my teacher is refering to a staff (I'm not 100% sure where in China he's from originally... he spent a lot of time in Beijing though).

well it's called the "theory of goon" and it's got something to do with the san jian and I really ain't sure what dialect.... i don't even think it's cantonese. I've never heard of it actually

Quote Originally Posted by cranebeginner
    well it's called the "theory of goon" and it's got something to do with the san jian and I really ain't sure what dialect.... i don't even think it's cantonese. I've never heard of it actually
    ask your teacher if he could write it down in chinese for you. scan it and upload here. one of the chinese speakers will see if he can figure it out for ya.

I think he's calling you a big muscle bound guy with a weak mind...
    "...When I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me..."
    Deuteronomy 32:41