Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im going to China!

Im going to China!

And let me tell you, im psyched. I got my Visa last thursday, which signifies the end of me getting everything together. Now all I have to do is wait until March, and Im out of here for 13 days.

You can look at where we're going here:
    http://holistictlc.com/community/tra...lenn/index.htm

Holy cow! How long are you staying? Where are you staying? What are you doing over here? If you are ever in Shanxi and need a guide look me up.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Ok, never mind my questions. I just read the webpage. If you decide to stay on after your tour give me a shout eh?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Would if I could but I dont think it'll happen this time around. Im planning on going again in the summer by myself, so maybe then? :P

Cool!

Have fun and a few tips:

1: Bring deoderant with you.
    2: Only take licensed taxis and demand that they use their meters. It's the law. If they claim it's broken than turn it on yourself; it almost never really is.
    3: Learn numbers in Chinese before you go. Also learn the expression Tai gui le. Lit: Too expensive.
    Simon McNeil

4. Learn the expression Bu yao for all the lookee lookee when you walk through the markets.

Of course since it's your first time you're going to buy pretty much everything you see.
    Last edited by Ou Ji; 01-23-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

"Bu Xihuan" is another good one when some Xinjiang gentleman tries to sell you a spray-painted dog pelt.

Though one time one such merchant responded with "no you like it!"
    Simon McNeil

I took three years of mandarin (but frankly, I cant speak that well at all) so I know a few phrases to get by.

I dunno how much ill actually be buying. Maybe shoes, clothing...I doubt there will be very much that I think I must have. Knick knacks dont really interest me.

I dont think Ill be taking many taxis either. Either we are going to walk, bus, train, or fly. And we're almost always going to be in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer
    I dunno how much ill actually be buying. Maybe shoes, clothing...I doubt there will be very much that I think I must have. Knick knacks dont really interest me.
    Until you see how cheap you can buy that stuff for. Plus the haggling is always fun.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Lol. I would probably be a sucker for weapons :P Maybe Ill get myself a nine section whip and finally return the one im borrowing. Or a rope dart~ Thats what I originally wanted to learn but we didnt have the dart. It was given away.

Just take care that whatever you buy doesn't get appropriated at customs. What's the legality of chain whips in your jurisdiction? Legal, illegal or grey?
    Simon McNeil

Im guessing Legal, since their hanging in our school. I would hope so, at least. :P Im not too sure about Texas, but then again...its Texas, right?

Bring your own water and food while venturing out.

do not order something you do not know in a restaurant.

take a lot of pictures.

have fun.

Chen Du is the home of many Panda. a picture of Panda will bring many fond memories.

Food in Si Chuan is usually hot and spicy!

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
    Bring your own water and food while venturing out.

do not order something you do not know in a restaurant.

Well, that's pretty boring!

Gotta disagree with you slightly there SPJ.

If you want water get it from a bottle. The stuff in your hotel room (the drinking water, not the tap water) will be fine or you can go to a supermarket and buy a bottle of Wahaha or what have you. Don't drink tap water unless it's been boiled thoroughly and even then it's not too good due to heavy metals. IF you buy bottled water from a small vender check to make sure the bottle is sealed. Some venders will recycle bottles by filling them with boiled (or not ) water.

As for food though if I never ordered something I didn't recognize I'd never order food at restaurants at all; my Hanzi skills are not great. There are many amazing dishes in China and a lot of them come from the Chengdu region. I sincerely hope you get a chance to try Si Chuan Hot Pot as it is a lot of fun to eat.

It might help you to write a list of food words and then translate each word using babelfish into simplified Chinese. Watch out for bone fragments in Chinese food.

SPJ is right about the spice. Chinese food in general (at least in the north and the west) tends towards spicey and garlickey.

If you see Uyghur men grilling sticks of mutton over a charcoal barbecue buy a stick or two, they are absolutely succulent and at 5 mao a pop are dirt cheap. So far I've seen this in two different provinces out of two. I have it on good authority it is about as wide spread as Uyghurs though.

DO TAKE PICTURES.
    Simon McNeil