Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im going to China!

Quote Originally Posted by PaiLumDreamer
    Would if I could but I dont think it'll happen this time around. Im planning on going again in the summer by myself, so maybe then? :P
    We go in July. I'm sure Sifu Galliano wouldn't mind if you joined us for the trip.
    ... Though I don't think I'll be able to make it this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Bring your own water and food while venturing out.

do not order something you do not know in a restaurant.
    Im totally against that SPJ. I travelled through the whole of china/rural china for 2 months. Not once did I think of not ordering something I didnt know. Half the experience when in one of these back street shanti resturants is ordering something completely unknown. I had the most wonder plate of dog meat, *****, crickets to name just a few.

And as for drinks, I had no problems drinking the bottled drinks that are sold everywhere when you go out. I even drunk tap water sometimes (although I boiled it first).

All I can say is have a WICKED time. If you ever get a chance, visit WULINGYUAN middle china. They have a lovely quiet minority village right in the mountains....was absolutly beautiful. Also, GO TO A NIGHT MARKET. Some of the best food can be found here, and the meat on sticks is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO spicy! Also screw the taxis, have a ride in a tuk tuk, its the mostly hazardous to your health experience.

Oh and pack a lot of warm clothes. I was in beijing on 12th february and it was minus 9!

craig

I agree that foreigners have the advantage!

We were travelling from yiching to zhangzaijie and it was absolutly freezing. We had waited for our train in a massive hall with hundreds of other chinese people. When they opened the gates everyone went MENTAL. They were punching, screaming and throwing chairs at each other trying to get through first. We stood right in the middle of it all and ended up being some of the last to get through.

The train police noticed this and smiled in recognition to how calm we were (the english are pros at queing.....we dont push and shuv). So we got on the freezing train and ended up sitting on the damp floor. Wasn't even 30 minutes until the police came and took us into the staff area. They gave us some tea and let us sleep on the comfy seats in the warm carriage with them.

so yes....just one example of how nice they can be towards you.

And if you have a packet of ***s as a backup.....you can get anything.

craig

Im guessing Legal, since their hanging in our school. I would hope so, at least. :P Im not too sure about Texas, but then again...its Texas, right?
    PaiLumDreamer: I'm in Texas too (San Antonio), what city are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    When they opened the gates everyone went MENTAL. They were punching, screaming and throwing chairs at each other trying to get through first. We stood right in the middle of it all and ended up being some of the last to get through.

The train police noticed this and smiled in recognition to how calm we were (the english are pros at queing.....we dont push and shuv).
    Craig: a friend of mine who travelled to China on business told me a similar story. He said that the concept of queue-ing up in a line and waiting your turn is apparently alien to the Chinese.
    One of those strange cultural differences I guess...

That's a yes and then no situation. Sometimes people will push and shove and once in a while someone will try to cut in line but I've seen plenty of orderly cues here in China too. If you go over to DavesESLCafe one of the big topics is Chinese cuing so you can hear plenty of horror stories.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

[QUOTE=chud]PaiLumDreamer: I'm in Texas too (San Antonio), what city are you in?
    [QUOTE]

Houston.

Also, everyone keeps talking about bottled water. Ive heard this whenever I read about China trips, but what is so bad about their tap water? Bad plumbing? Mercury for longevity?

As for the food, Im pretty sure we're going to all be eating together as a group (Unless we get some free exploring time. I honestly dont know how tightly we will be on a schedule. Even so, I can picture 5+ of us going out to eat together.) so ill just ninja some of everyone elses food :P Im not half bad with chopsticks!

[QUOTE=Becca]We go in July. I'm sure Sifu Galliano wouldn't mind if you joined us for the trip.
    [QUOTE]

That would be good, too; depending on my money situation at the time I dont see why I wouldnt be able to not go. Would be interesting to see another facet of Pai Lum. I could compare notes and what not :P

I also would like to go by myself though. Ill probably have a few scouting tour trips or something, so I can try and get some decent contacts for the future. :P If I wanted to stay there for a bit I dont think it would be wise to get my own place-I need to get a good hold on the ropes. But traveling China is on the top of my "To-Do" list.

---

PICTURES.

Im going to be taking a LOT. Probably more video than pictures, though. I finally have a chance to use my video camera, and im going to rape that piece of hardware like its the end of the world. If its possible im going to try and stick it online so others can see what all I got to do.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips :P I should be taking notes.

Give us a trip report when you get back. I'd be interested to see how much good kung fu you find over there. I'm sure there's still some, you probably just have to look.

Btw, what school do you train at in Houston? My brother lives there and is thinking of getting back into martial arts. I've recommended a couple of schools to him that I heard were good, but I'd be interested in learning where you train and how you like it.

I train south of the Houston area, actually. Its a Pai Lum Tao school down in ****inson.

If he doesnt mind a drive, he should feel free to come check us out. We can trade contact info in a PM if you want.

I suggest he comes on a monday and a thursday, so he can see how our kung fu class is run as well as how we fight. (Our thursdays are open fight nights. Even if he doesnt join hes free to come down and spar with us whenever. We could always use something fresh and different :P)

www.kungfuschool.com

Its a little bit of a dated website. I dont think its been updated in a while, so we have switched locations and whatnot. It can at least give him some of the info on the style (Or go to www.pailum.org)

Also, everyone keeps talking about bottled water. Ive heard this whenever I read about China trips, but what is so bad about their tap water? Bad plumbing? Mercury for longevity?
    Let's put it this way: even the poorest Chinese people will boil tap water before they drink it.

China has a huge, huge water shortage problem. There are just too many people for a country that is largely quite dry. Add into that a plethora of manure-fertilized mountaintop farms and factories spewing who-knows-what into the water and it's not precisely the worlds cleanest.

The safest bet is to stick to bottled water.

If I am out of bottled water and NEED tea/drinking water/noodle water I will drink tap water but I'll boil it at a rolling boil for five minutes first.

Trust me, follow these tips, or you might get quite astoundingly sick for a few days. It sucks to be sick on vacation. And remember that boiling water doesn't get rid of heavy metals so if you are going to spend an EXTENDED time in China (oh, like two years) it's best to make sure that the majority of your drinking water is bottled for long-term health reasons.

About food: I like playing the "you order" game. I'll take my GF (or a Chinese friend) out to a restaurant. I'll chose the restaurat but once we get there I'll just say something like "get something with mutton in it" and let her sort out the details. Remember that if you are eating at a Chinese restaurant (whether dishes or hot-pot) you will be eating communally anyway. Plates are for catching the bits you drop and that's about it. Plenty of restaurants don't even provide plates!

When you eat hot-pot it is usually literally a big pot in the middle of the table and then you dump the ingredients you order in and all have fun fishing them out again. You each get a little bowl full of sesame sauce and you dip the cooked food into that before eating. Trust me you want to eat hot-pot, it is one of the most popular winter foods in China for a reason!

Meat wise (in the north) it's pretty tame. Mutton, Pork, Chicken, Fish, Rabbit, Duck, Snails, Beef. Roughly in that order as far as regularity of occurence. The south is a whole different game though! From what I hear they'll eat basically anything that moves down south. Again watch out for bone fragments. And expect fat in your mutton and pork. Lean meat is a bit of a western thing.

Vegetables are numerous. There are dozens of types of edible mushroom (I LOVE mushrooms) and many different Chinese green vegetables including one of my very favorite: Garlic shoots. Eggplant is a common ingredient in this part of the country (not sure about others) as is potato, wheat (noodles and dumplings - mmmmm Yan Ro Jiao Tze..... Gaaaahhhhhhhhh), rice (as a "main food") and millet for soup.

Anyways regardless of where you go China is a Gastronome's paradise so don't be afraid to try new things!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

excellant post Simon M

I absolutly love talking about china to people who have been there (not just the tourist places). I felt almost frustrated when I returned because I simply couldn't explain how different it is to western culture.....gahhhhh

lol
    wish I was going

Craig

ps: although on a bonus, I am off to thailand with my partner on 6th april for 1 month....

The funny thing is how easy it was for me to fit into China.

I mean I am under no illusions this is not a perfect place. Nowhere is.

But I was a bit of a square peg in a round hole in North America. Out here I actually have found it much easier to live a satisfied, happy, life.
    Simon McNeil