Thread: Chiu Chi Ling in Oakland Chinatown

Chiu Chi Ling in Oakland Chinatown

Just wanted to give Chiu Sifu congratulations on giving a very good talk and demonstration at the Oakland Chinatown New Year's Streetfest. He did a segment on stage for Sing Tao Daily and was informative and entertaining.

I had no idea he would be there and just happen to run into him. He was definitely the local star. People were constantly coming up to him to say hi and ask for photos. Chiu Sifu was very gracious and gave time to all his fans.

I missed the early part of his talk while I was corraling my kids but the part I saw had him picking volunteers from the audience and explaining how chinese kung fu would respond to different self-defense situations; from pick-pocketing to full on attacks. He had a good mix of real applications and comedic timing. The crowd loved it. While probably lost on most people watching, I especially enjoyed seeing solid Hung Gar tactics being displayed. Parts from tiger crane and some definte flavor of Chiu style hung gar.

Chiu's Kung Fu Hustle

We just went out to dim sum with Chiu Sifu last Friday - his treat. It's always nice to see him. He's really been riding the wake of Kung Fu Hustle and all the power to him there. He's had a lot of coverage internationally - I even did a piece with him in our Jan Feb 2006. What I appreciate most about him now is that, although he's certainly received a lot of spotlight from KFH, it hasn't gone to his head that much. He's still affable and easy-going. I know that other masters would lose their humility the instant they'd get on the silver screen.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    i agree with you gene.

he was at our studio in the sunset and helped to bring our lions to life, as well as participate in our lion dances. he is such a character. always happy to see people. i had the honor once to drum along side him in the new years parade.

its funny he's been in movies no one talks about like the hung sing choy lee fut movie. he was the teacher of school in that movie.

hey hsk, do you know where i can find that hung sing movie????

thnx

regards
    pablo

Blog Entries
    i think if you look on the net you can still find it pretty easy. but i will say for sure the new release has a few good parts cut out of it.

the reason i know is that i own the only known copy of te original in chinese, but my sifu recorded it off of the movie screen back in chinatown with a video camera.

i still have that copy but sometimes its hard to see its so old.

hsk

thnx hskwarrior

i feel a lil stupid but i still cannot find the movie... maybe if u know some website where i can get it...

also... do you know other movies where CLF appears as the main style?

a frriend of mine is going to the states in a few days and i want to get as many movies as a i can

regards
    pablo

Funny you should mention that...

I asked Master Chiu if he had a list of his filmography. He said he did, but I'm nost certain he understood my question. His IMDB filmography is severely lacking. He was telling us of some very old films he did, but most of that stuff has yet to be documented on resources like IMDB. I suppose there's more on HKMDB, but they killed their golden-egg goose by making it membership only. That's no way to work the web. Anyway, I'd love to see his complete filmography. He was telling me about how he had to work under different names because he used to run the border of HK and PRC, which was illegal back then. That would make for a messy filmography, but most HK stars are no stranger to messy filmographies...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart