Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Vagabond Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    Videos serve a purpose.

They are, however, a reference tool.

Much like, when you learn German, you own and use a German/English dictionary. The dictionary itself does not teach anything. It simply allows you to doublecheck your current skillset.
    I've learned a sh1t load of stuff from videos. And books.

Just last night I was wacthing Bas Ruten's Big Book of Combat and he has a lot of techniques on there I had never thought of, and I'll probably try using a few of them after I watch it a couple of more times.

I use Ross' San Da training DVDs to pick up lots of details about, well, quite a lot of things, actually.

I watch, I use, I adjust, I watch, I use, I adjust, etc....

Inversely, I tried learning a little Chinese from an audio CD series, but I could never make it stick because I didn't have anyone to use it with. So, I can count and cuss, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon View Post
    Videos serve a purpose.

They are, however, a reference tool.

Much like, when you learn German, you own and use a German/English dictionary. The dictionary itself does not teach anything. It simply allows you to doublecheck your current skillset.

I dunno about that. You can learn brand new stuff and apply it. language instruction and body mechanics/fighting instruction aren't really comparable in context. I would also add that clear instruction is relevanty as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I guess it's a matter of priorities. Still, when you put out instructional videos, aren't you pretty much saying "You can learn from this video?"
    Yes, you are. And yes, you can learn from them. But what you learn from them will be heavily based on what you were building on. If you have cr@p to start with...
    I mean, an ethical teacher wouldn't sell an instructional video that he felt people couldn't learn from, right? And if you are going there, then why is it unreasonable to assume that if the video student has "learned it" that he can't "teach it?"
    I learned some geography in high school. Maybe I should go teach it now. And if I get anything wrong... well I never gat anything wrong. The teachers who actually have degrees, talent, and experience in teaching are misrepresenting the concepts or they are jealous, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

this is where people are saying he learned it i think.

Lien bu quan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dndU6SzYAE4

bot bo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJ7U28Rmvw

dunno though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    I've commented on some of this guy's videos.

Not only is he a beginner, he clearly learned those sets from my teacher's bak siu lum video tapes. He mimics some of the idiosyncracies found in those tapes. I wonder if brother Gene would come to the same conclusion.

A person of this skill who learned from videos... teaching? I'm offended for my school, the bak siu lum system, and martial arts as a whole. We don't need more poseur "masters" giving everyone a bad name.
    Is your sifu Wing Lam? You may want to tell him about this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    On hair do;

some people are very serious about that. and yet some are just having fun.

In Qing era, if you lose your pony tail, it is a seditious offense and punished by losing your head.

--

This isn't the Ching Dynasty and he isn't Chinese...
    Dressing like that because you do Kung Fu is akin to dressing like a Roman Senator because you take a Latin class.
    Last edited by The Xia; 09-28-2006 at 12:52 PM.

no, sorry to disappoint. i am familiar with these forms though. although at my old school we did them a little bit differently than they do on the video this guy learned them from. he seems a little stiffer in his movements but i enjoy watching it bc the differences make it interesting.
    as for the guy in the silly outfit i really thought he was just a beginner and thought it wasn't a bad try and thought it was cool that he would put himself out there but then i heard someone say he was a sifu. i then started banging my face on my keyboard. not a rational response but whatever. this guys form is crap. even if it is supposed to be slow and deliberate for educational purposes. just absolute garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    hey ravenshaw, in wing lams version of the set does it have those side steps and use the pound mortar back fist instead of swing hammer fist?
    We have the side steps, but the strike in our set is a hammer fist. Also, we do the elbow strikes in bow stances and not a horse stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I'll bet when you told the people at the store they couldn't learn from your tapes they didn't buy them right?
    Well, I told them learning from the tapes did not make them qualified to teach, which is different from telling them they can't learn. As a few people on this forum pointed out, people can learn things from videos. But learning doesn't automatically qualify the student to teach what he has learned.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia
    Is your sifu Wing Lam? You may want to tell him about this guy.
    Yes. I'll bring it up on my next visit. I'm at college and not near the school anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    ... As a few people on this forum pointed out, people can learn things from videos. But learning doesn't automatically qualify the student to teach what he has learned...
    It's a free country. You can teach what you learn if you can find some chump who actually wants to learn it... Also doesn't mean you've actually learned what the teacher was teaching.

It looked to me like he is a great mimic. But didn't really have any idea that all those pretty movements are not the Chinese version of River Dance. Lack of intent or understanding of the move is what is most obvious to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I've learned a sh1t load of stuff from videos. And books.

Just last night I was wacthing Bas Ruten's Big Book of Combat and he has a lot of techniques on there I had never thought of, and I'll probably try using a few of them after I watch it a couple of more times.

I use Ross' San Da training DVDs to pick up lots of details about, well, quite a lot of things, actually.

I watch, I use, I adjust, I watch, I use, I adjust, etc....

Inversely, I tried learning a little Chinese from an audio CD series, but I could never make it stick because I didn't have anyone to use it with. So, I can count and cuss, but that's about it.

My post was in reference to "Form/Kata" videos. Techniques and training tips are, obviously, another story.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

There are many sifus that don't take kindly to those that rip off of them.

This reminds me of the movie bullet proof monk. Where chow yun fat asks sean william scott where did he learn his kung fu? And Scott doesn't tell but Fat later learns that Scott learned from watching the kung fu cinemas at the theater.

We've soooo been here before...

Check the thread on the Shaolin forum. I'll probably merge this one with that one after it dies down here on the main forum.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

*marches around room chanting*

merge merge merge merge
    merge merge merge merge
    Kung Fu is good for you.