Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rank Testing

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    I've been doing MA for years. However, if I started at another school in a different style, I would be a white belt. If we sparred, newer white belts would think I was a senior. For this reason, A ranking system would help them determine that I am not a senior in that style and that they shouldn't ask me questions that they should be asking a senior.
    Does it matter - just say that you're not a senior and direct them to someone else. But at the same time you can show them what you know that adds value.

It wouldn't matter if its a TCMA school - because TCMA has a tradition of incorporating new ideas and evolving. It would matter if its a TCMB school (i.e. traditional chinese martial beurocracy). If that's the case you shouldn't be there or better still - kick their sign down and sack the phoney sifu and proclaim yourself as master..... just like the ole days (or the movies in the ole days.... wat everrrrrr)

Quote Originally Posted by green_willow
    Does it matter - just say that you're not a senior and direct them to someone else. But at the same time you can show them what you know that adds value.
    bad form. for one, I'm not the instructor at your school. it would be somewhat disrespectful if I just started training at your school and was showing your students things from thai boxing that I thought would add value to what they do or what holes I see in what you have them doing. with belts, you don't have to worry about them asking, so yeah, it matters.

It wouldn't matter if its a TCMA school - because TCMA has a tradition of incorporating new ideas and evolving.
    since when? doesn't hung gar brag on the fact that it is the style most unchanged from it's inception?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by green_willow
    kick their sign down and sack the phoney sifu and proclaim yourself as master
    I seriously wish you would try this at my school.

My apologies to the forum for baiting this troll, but the mental image I have while considering the above scenario is priceless.

nah, not your school. he should try it at sigung lee's school...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

bad form. for one, I'm not the instructor at your school. it would be somewhat disrespectful if I just started training at your school and was showing your students things from thai boxing that I thought would add value to what they do or what holes I see in what you have them doing. with belts, you don't have to worry about them asking, so yeah, it matters.
    An instructor motivated by pride might find it disrespectful. An instructor who sees the value in cross training will be happy to have skilled students interacting with him and his other students.

If one is smart about it, one would find ways of adapting one's style to different environment as opposed to finding holes in a style that needs to be pluged up.

It's ironic that the belt system which is a measure of progress is actually the red tape that holds a student back. Such a strangle hold can eventually lead to the dealth of a school given enough thime.

since when? doesn't hung gar brag on the fact that it is the style most unchanged from it's inception?
    Doesn't the dodo brag about being an evolutionary dead end?

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroGrrrl
    I seriously wish you would try this at my school.
    What about the ancestral shrine, has some other person already smashed it?
    Last edited by green_willow; 02-01-2006 at 01:21 AM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    actually, he/she has pretty good TF.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

eh it happens

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    LOL

In most schools it's like a herd of chicken-necked geeks establishing their pecking order. It's not done in a way that loses glasses or street cred every time. It's done through slapping and play.

Although generally I feel I don't need any ranking system, I've met a lot of people like NeuroGrrl who obviously feel much better with them.

And what Chris just said was exactly the problem I had with that school I mentioned. One woman who was above me had had an easy ride because she was a woman. She hated that she couldn't do anything she was supposed to be able to (she couldn't even finish the forms - the whole two of them! - without forgetting, let alone complete lack of any ability in putting the apps into effect) and was embarassed, and in fact kept comign to me for instruction because I was the onoly one who took the time not to mollycoddle her, but to teach her straight. But of course it wasn't my place to teach, just to give a rough guide to her as her senior... except... yep, as you've just read, she was my senior!

Confused? So was everybody there!

In sparring I was obviously streets ahead of everyone else but I came from a different lineage so all that political bollocks got in the way: my 'teacher' wasn't going to grade me too high too quickly despite already meeting his system requirements, but every newbie who came to watch couldn't help but notice that I was frankly, the best there, and kept asking me for teaching... which of cousre I couldn't and didn't want to do in the face of the teacher (who liked walking around the clas on his hands and **** like that).

He never failed anybody a grading because (I guess) they would get some of their money back.

Can we say McKwoon?! But as the teacher knew his stuff (he was just a lazy showoff who never bothered to teach) if the grading system had been legit it would've made a difference... but then of course if there'd been no grading system it would've too.

that happens we are in a dark age of kung gu right now. i think my school works great on ranking and making sure that they know the standard stuff for that level, aka forms and standard combos and basics.
    the women over my school the only rule about them is not grabbing private parts. hitting in the private parts is fine. so everything else goes. in fact many people think we are crazy so we dont even allow biggingers and intermeidates see the senior fighting. now about saying that sashes can be suffocating tape. they are that too. i just duck under the tape when they are not looking. i already know part of an advance form by looking at it.( they were teaching it to some of the newer red sashes). i know several grappling moves im not supposed to know. ive picked off alot of basics im not supposed to know. so i got alot more varity in stuff intead of standard. barely learend any green sash stuff. im the lowest rank that is learning two completly diffrent styles by the same teacher. which im still not supposed to know, but they are teaching it to me personaly anyway.

the first weapon we learn is supposed to be staff. then basically goes random after that. my sifu knows 13 diffrent syles and used to be in the special forces( basically an entire life of fighting he is 60+ years old) oops i forgot to quote "sifu" thats just his nick name now. his title is sigung.

he has offered that i take the next rank test to the others but i havnt been my rank long enough and i still dont have th standard stuff. it also kinda sucks that your basically the only one at that level,green,

our ranking system goes: none ,white, gold, blue, green, red w/stripe,red with 2 stripes and red with 3, then black 1st 2nd and 3rd , and maybe 4th.

we teach 4 styles at our school the website is www.kungfuclub.net

ttt 4 2020!

King’s Lynn Kuk Sool Won martial arts student's wife goes into labour – he carries on and passes grading while family 'facetimes' son's birth
    By Pete Woodhouse
    Published: 15:08, 12 March 2020 | Updated: 15:09, 12 March 2020

February is the month for some adult students at Kuk Sool Won of King’s Lynn to grade for their next level in their martial arts journey.

Head instructor KSN Marie Brown with the help of some of the school instructors, put these students through their paces, going through and showing their skill at empty hand forms, self-defence techniques, breakfalls, kicking and hand striking.

All these students passed to the next level.

Adult grading Feb 2020 Kuk Sool Won Ltd of Kings Lynn. (31403035)Adult grading Feb 2020 Kuk Sool Won Ltd of Kings Lynn. (31403035)

One of the students grading found out that his wife had gone into labour with their second child as he was about to begin.

After a phone call and short ‘facetime’ chat with the grandparents, which was hard to disconnect with, all to the amusement to all the students and instructors present, he decided to continue and complete the session.

Mum, dad and new son are all doing well.

To have a trial introduction to this varied martial art call Darren 07545239300 or Marie 07957961877.
    I love martial arts but I'd never miss the birth of my child for it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart