Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT: Lets act like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist
    PLD = BL

10 character limit
    OH SHI-

the all-powerful Gene...oooh I like the sound of that...

...I'm so glad that you didn't call me a 400-lb LSD using hermaphrodite.

Actually, there's no hard evidence that most trolls are teens. GreenCloudCLF is totally correct in saying that anyone can type anything in their profile. If I was really industrious, I could investigate further, but I generally don't invest that much energy in trolls. I only banter with them if their funny and ban them when they aren't. It's a very simple relationship. However, I also make my living here as, among other things, an editor. This means that I have to be able to read into what people write - I need to have a general idea of who they are and what they are saying, or trying to say. So my comment is totally anecdotal, but at least it's coming from an all-powerful source.

You have no idea how many submissions I have to read. Sometimes, they suck, like elementary school papers. Actually, they often suck like this, sad to say. Sometimes, they are diamonds in the rough. A little work and they might really have something good. A lot of the submissions we get from Chinese speakers are like that - horrible grammer because it's their 2nd language, but some great kernal of kung fu in the article. That being said, I have to be able to figure how much to invest in them - whether they truly have potential. Lemme tell ya, there's nothing more disappointing than working with someone over several drafts of an article to find that they just don't have it in the end.

Also in a former life, I worked as a TA on the University level. I read a lot of papers from teenager and early twenties, so I'm pretty sensitive to their writing style. Perhaps I should have said that most trolls have a teenage mentality. And I should add that most teenagers are pretty translucent - they often tip their hand so they're pretty easy to identify.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You're not a teen...

I'd guess you're prepubescent - filled with wonder and innocence, soon to be crushed by the onset of hormones and members like gda. That's less transluscent.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart