Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decoding Gary Lam's Siu Lim Tao Codes!

Decoding Gary Lam's Siu Lim Tao Codes!

Last Saturday I just paid a hefty tuition fee to Gary Sifu. While this financial impact has not quite sunken and collapsed completely my thin veneer of intestinal fortitude, my coach smiled broadly and suggested that I buy also his new latest DVD on Siu Lim Tao. That was the last straw. My forked tongue darted out and lashed out at his latest Mun Sao of capitalist imperialism. Hah! No man can con me. I went home thinking that I have finally learned to stand up to my Sifu and make him back up for the first time. Oh yeah, there was just one fine print detail, all I have to do is just watch his DVD and return it if I'm not satisfied. "Money back guaranteed," I kept repeating the mantra feverishly to calm down my fear. Have I prayed in vain?

Okay now that I have seen it, guys and gals, you owe it to yourself to collect this item to your library. And here are three simple reasons why:

1. This DVD is about the applications of Siu Lim Tao from a fighting-oriented perspective. You will learn how to be faster using WC strategy and tactics. And you will see why Gary says deservedly at the end of the DVD that WC is one of the best Martial Arts of the world!
    2. Certain WC concepts (keeping centerline and distances of attack and defense) are covered in good details by this fun seminar aided by helpful hand-on demonstrations.
    3. Explanations of common WC hand mistakes and their correct usage when meeting force (Tan Sau, Fook Sau, Bong Sau, Wu Sau, Lan Sau, Fak Sau, Jom Sau, etc.)

Well, what are you good people of WC waiting for? Get it! Listen if you order it from him, would you mention that you see my review? I’m still hoping that I’ll get mine for free. Thank you kindly!

http://216.97.33.148/cranesproductio...d=43&cate_id=4

Your friendly WC review critic,

Paul H

Paul, you state a good case, I'm definitely considering this.

Unless, of course, it has anything about an "X layer model" on it
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I like your style Paul.

Truth be known, I have been looking to buy Lam's DVD's for quite some time. A WSL student in England recommended I look at his stuff a couple of years ago. Maybe it's time.
    In memory of Leung, Kwok Keung, (10.04.1927 to 07.12.2004).

msn messenger? add me:- truthhasnopath@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    Well, what are you good people of WC waiting for? Get it! Listen if you order it from him, would you mention that you see my review? I’m still hoping that I’ll get mine for free. Thank you kindly!
    If I order in the next 60 seconds will I get some Ginsu knives??
    I've purchased some of Lam sifu's DVD's in the past.
    While the camera work in some of them leaves a little to be desired, the informational content is quite good. IMO, Sifu Gary Lam knows what he's doing.
    'Talk is cheap because there is an excess of supply over demand'

I have access to 4 of Lam's tapes (Mok Jong, Kicking, Chi-sao, Fighting Strategies). Yeah, Gary know's his stuff. I saw some sloppy stuff in the kicking one, and it was pretty basic. The chi sao one was good, and he has impressive skills there for sure. The Mok Jong I liked because I wanted to see what the form was like. I found it better than Augustine Fong's Mok Jong tape, but since both forms are much different from what I study, it's more of a curiosity thing for me to see what the other families are up to.

I found Boztepe's Chi Sao tape, Self defense tape and the Lat Sau series pretty good, and better overall. He knows his art very well and can demo it better IMHO.

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    I saw some sloppy stuff in the kicking one, and it was pretty basic.
    That must have something to do with the fact that Ernie was involved in that one.
    Having said that, I have a hard time associating the word "sloppy' with Gary Lam.
    He's anything but.

Maybe that's just me, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix
    That must have something to do with the fact that Ernie was involved in that one.
    Having said that, I have a hard time associating the word "sloppy' with Gary Lam.
    He's anything but.

Actually, Ernie looked good. I saw Gary off balance a few of times and just didn't see what I consider skill in his kicking ability. It's just a observation. I guess it all depends on what one is used to seeing in a effective WC kicker...

James

As someone whose met and trained with Gary I have to credit his skills.

To be honest when I saw videos of him I thought he looked a bit sloppy at times too. However when I met him I realised how good he really was. He definitley has different 'gears' and most of the time in the videos he is in a low gear. His wing chun is very natural and he isnt concerned with how what he does looks - just that it works. This perhaps contrasts with people who do a lot of 'demos' .
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer
    As someone whose met and trained with Gary I have to credit his skills.

To be honest when I saw videos of him I thought he looked a bit sloppy at times too. However when I met him I realised how good he really was. He definitley has different 'gears' and most of the time in the videos he is in a low gear. His wing chun is very natural and he isnt concerned with how what he does looks - just that it works. This perhaps contrasts with people who do a lot of 'demos' .
    Although I've never had the opportunity to train with Gary, and witness his skills in person, I'm sure he is skilled in the WC he teaches, and can use it for real. You can only get so much of a person's skills from a tape/DVD. You would think though, when you put something out there for others to see that you would CARE what you would look like, and if you don't care then why would you try to sell it on a tape? For me sloppyness doesn't make me beleive one know's their stuff as well as someone that IS NOT SLOPPY, if you know what I mean.

James

He's anything but.

Just to add:
    Ernie has told me that the Kicking DVD was filmed when Lam Sifu was exhausted and he recommended another DVD for me to buy. He said the content was good, but just that Lam Sifu was tired on filming it.

Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Please excuse my tardiness to thank you all sooner for your enthusiastic and humor inputs. My low key boss is unusually diligent and sharp at watching my internet activities lately. I must have given away too much by smiling too much when I read posts from Anerlich, Matrix, and James. I believe that often video making should be a live art and that it is better lively, funny, and always entertaining than all too often spotless and wooden performances. As such blemishes should serve only to highlight more the awesome quirks of genius in the eye of the beholders.

Yours truly damage control Gary Lam's committee board,

Gary sloppy --- well to be honest yes ! he is self proclaimed lazy he has not worked out for over 10 years what you see is as Nick put it him in low gear , he really doesn't care because when he decides to switch it on , it is just amazing !
    that's what kept me there so long , trust me most wing Chun makes me sick and I'm a little embarrassed to even be part of the wing Chun community as a whole ,
    but then i see what this out of shape 50+ year old non training man can muster at the drop of a dime and it just baffles me [well is used to know he has passed on the training methods and i understand how it works ]

Gary never rehearses anything none of us do never have everything i film is first take just what ever happens and his video's are the same way , just likes things to be natural some times your ON sometimes you off ,,,, not some fake thing that is all organized ,,,,, hell chi sau in and of itself has that in the shell to begin with .

something Gary always tells me if you can not pull it off right then and there then you really don't have it

as for the kicking DVD yep it was weak , he was fried and i was not feeling it , i have always been open about that , i feel he has put out to much stuff to close together needs to let things settle they have even approached me about doing some DVDs on my attribute training methods but i was not really into the idea .

Nick has been on the end of Gary's kick and has kicked Gary the guy will just take your best kick and laugh at you . he know how nasty his legs are and i have the whole thing on video hope to one day be able to show some of the seminar footage , some good highlights hell Nick and Gary were even on the ground it was funny !

but in reality Gary needs no defense at all the man will eat most guys for lunch even in his over weight out of shape state ,,,, especially wing Chun guys !

I'm not doing the promotion thing i leave that to others if you ever want a honest review of any of his DVD"s just email me i will never pull punches or lie just to make my Si fu look this way or that way

just to add Gary really believes int the ''Home grown'' appraoch that skilled wing chun will never work in a large class or orginization enviroment , sure you can teach people to do some stuff but really get great all around fighters not drill tech's
    it must be small and nurtured , that's why nothing fancy in the filming of the video
    like when you go to old dirty boxing gym were guys sweat and bleed and have desire
    not some high tech spandex house ,,,, I'm old school as well and like to keep things fluff free
    Last edited by Ernie; 01-24-2006 at 09:24 PM.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie
    Gary sloppy --- well to be honest yes ! he is self proclaimed lazy he has not worked out for over 10 years what you see is as Nick put it him in low gear , he really doesn't care because when he decides to switch it on , it is just amazing !
    I only hope that I can one day achieve that level of "sloppiness".

I only hope that I can one day achieve that level of "sloppiness".
    Maybe you already have Bill. All you need is a fan club to promote you and there you are....

James

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    Maybe you already have Bill. All you need is a fan club to promote you and there you are....

James
    or a brainwashed cult would also work
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com