Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Tiger video clip.

Cool Black Tiger video clip.

Ok everyone,

Everywhere i go people want to see what Hak Fu Muhn looks like, so they're always asking to see a vid of Black Tiger. Hak Fu Muhn is very rare and still very secretive, even up to this day. I along with a sisook in Hong Kong are trying to change that, but somethings take time to start the wheels turning.

In any case, here's a Black Tiger longrange form performed on the roof in Hong Kong sometime ago. It has been edited to not show the entire form, even so, you can still see how long the form is. Hak Fu Muhn has some very long forms...

enjoy!

http://www.zippyvideos.com/565019390...6/hak_fu_muhn/

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

It has a lot of CLF and Lama type techniques and so rather unique short hand techniques as well. Not what I was expecting it to look like. I was thinking more hung like.

Peace.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    It has a lot of CLF and Lama type techniques and so rather unique short hand techniques as well. Not what I was expecting it to look like. I was thinking more hung like.

Peace.
    Yep,

Everyone expects Hung Garish type stuff, we do have it, but there's alot more to Hak Fu Muhn than people are aware. I can put up another vid and you'd swear it was Hung gar.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Blog Entries
    i liked it though

i agree very choy lee fut-ish. but is hak fu man the style or the name of the school?

who is that performing it and where?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    i liked it though

i agree very choy lee fut-ish. but is hak fu man the style or the name of the school?

who is that performing it and where?

hsk,

Sil Lum Hak Fu Muhn = Shaolin Black Tiger Assoc/sec/clan

It's a si dai of my sifu on the roof in Hong Kong. I put that video to show the longrange side of Black Tiger. Most people have never seen Black Tiger and only think, "it looks just like Hung Kuen/Gar", but Black Tiger has it's own distinct flavor.

jeff
    Last edited by jmd161; 01-26-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

awesome jeff.

that's the third of the forms that wyh has laid on me.
    it's a cool set.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161
    hsk,

Sil Lum Hak Fu Muhn = Shaolin Black Tiger Assoc/sec/clan

It's a si dai of my sifu on the roof in Hong Kong. I put that video to show the longrange side of Black Tiger. Most people have never seen Black Tiger and only think, "it looks just like Hung Kuen/Gar", but Black Tiger has it's own distinct flavor.

jeff
    I studied at Fu Jow Pai in 1970 when Sifu Wai Hong was teaching class. Fu Jow Pai history claims lineage to Hak Fu Mun as well. Is there a connection with the HFM in HK?
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

btw and fwiw, i learned some black tiger not of this family before and it's not the same system.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    I studied at Fu Jow Pai in 1970 when Sifu Wai Hong was teaching class. Fu Jow Pai history claims lineage to Hak Fu Mun as well. Is there a connection with the HFM in HK?
    Phil

I'm sure somewhere down the line they all crossed paths, but where noone knows. There were from what i was told only two schools of black tiger in china Hak Fu Muhn and Shantung Black Tiger, so something happened because you have atleast four counting Fu Jow Pai and the Black Tiger that Sifu Wes Cameron teaches.

Also Su Hak Fu taught Black Tiger in Canton for a long time, so who knows.

But right now the only connection to Fu Jow Pai, is my sifu's friendship with Grandmaster Wai Hong

jeff
    Last edited by jmd161; 01-26-2006 at 07:42 PM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    awesome jeff.

that's the third of the forms that wyh has laid on me.
    it's a cool set.

Hey Dave,

When you get a chance i need to speak with you off the forum.....tell Wai Yee Ho i said hello!

So you know that one and the three dummy forms now right?

Did you start Golden Buddha or Sam Sing Po?

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161
    I'm sure somewhere down the line they all crossed paths, but where noone knows. There were from what i was told only two schools of black tiger in china Hak Fu Muhn and Shantung Black Tiger, so something happened because you have atleast four counting Fu Jow Pai and the Black Tiger that Sifu Wes Cameron teaches.

Also Su Hak Fu taught Black Tiger in Canton for a long time, so who knows.

But right now the only connection to Fu Jow Pai, is my sifu's friendship with Grandmaster Wai Hong

jeff
    According to Fu Jow Pai history Wong Mun Toi learned Haak Fu Muhn and taught Ng Wai Hong. Thanks for the input Jeff.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond
    According to Fu Jow Pai history Wong Mun Toi learned Haak Fu Muhn and taught Ng Wai Hong. Thanks for the input Jeff.
    Phil

Yeah, i've read that before in their history, but the Hak Fu Muhn he learned had to have already been influenced by something else. I say that because they share none of the common well known black tiger sets or the 9armed Black Tiger Grinder Dummy.

There are a few sets that are known within some Hung family styles like Hung Kuen and Hung Fut that also share these forms, and Fu Jow Pai doesn't have them. Wai Hong has been a friend of my sifu since my sifu came to America in the mid-late 70's. My sifu even performed at a celebration for Wai Hong, he still has the banners from the event. It was labled as come see the Black Tiger style all the way from Hong Kong. I don't know if you were still with Wai Hong at that time, if you were?

You should remember my sifu as C.Kuen Wu or Fred Woo.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Black Tiger

I also agree that there are many, Hung, Choy Lay Fut and Lama techniques in this form. I liked it.

I'm not sure if all of you will subscribe to this idea, but - I don't think many styles get further than a generation without being substantially 'altered'. Look at CLF for a second. It's in it's 4-6th generation (depending on who you train with or who you are) and it already has (so everyone claims) over 100 hand forms, between the different branches.

Do you realize what that means? Supposedly, there were 8 original forms (some say a few more). You would have to add approximately 20 forms per generation to get up to that number. Do the math. It's only a 170 year old style.

Now, I'm not saying this is bad. I think this IS the true spirit of CMA. It is always evolving, combining, stealing/sharing with other styles, in hopes to create a better one. All styles have done this in one way or another.

Look, teaching methods change/improve, goals of students/instructors are different, society morphs, etc. Things have to change. It is the nature of the universe. I think it's great, as long as the people changing or adding to a style are 'competant' enough to do so.

When I in Hong Kong recently, I spent a lot of time with the Lau family, specifically Lau Ga Yung and his even more famous uncle, the great shaw bros. movie star and director Lau Ga Leung. We talked about this very concept. Although they carry on a tradition (Lau Ga Leung's father was a disciple of Lam Sai Wing) they believe that CMA must constantly evolve to improve, otherwise it will die.

Just some thoughts. I did like the form very much. I have also seen Fu Jow Pai in NY for over 20 years....doesn't even resemble it.

Post some more forms!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu
    Look at CLF for a second. It's in it's 4-6th generation (depending on who you train with or who you are) and it already has (so everyone claims) over 100 hand forms, between the different branches.

Do you realize what that means? Supposedly, there were 8 original forms (some say a few more). You would have to add approximately 20 forms per generation to get up to that number. Do the math. It's only a 170 year old style.

Just some thoughts. I did like the form very much. I have also seen Fu Jow Pai in NY for over 20 years....doesn't even resemble it.

Post some more forms!

Lama Pai Sifu,

I agree with you on this, it's the same with Black Tiger. Black Tiger started out with around five fist forms, and now there's over a hundred also. I will be posting others as soon as i can get them edited for the internet.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Thanks for the clip. It is always nice to see a different version of the Black Tiger style. I must say, that is a very well done form! Man, that guy's legs are built!!
    I did catch quite a few "hung" movements but done in a quicker than Hung Gar fashion.

Good stuff.
    Last edited by WinterPalm; 01-27-2006 at 12:57 PM.
    A unique snowflake