Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More power

Foot work is a much bigger mountain, than that of hand skills, however, though a contradiction, they are equally important. One does not exist with out the other!
    Like all of the good things said, with stronger legs and stronger footwork skills you will find it to be much easier to shake his center. ( regardless of his size)

to develop follow through power, enough to move someone over 200lbs, I would suggest taking a break from air punching and hitting focus pads.

use a heavy bag. once you have developed power enough to pinch or move the heavy bag, you should be able to transfer such skills to your karateka.

in addition, you should note that people who have good balance are hard to knock back.
    In memory of Leung, Kwok Keung, (10.04.1927 to 07.12.2004).

msn messenger? add me:- truthhasnopath@hotmail.com

Some good advice so far.

Great idea Andrew... I can see my workout expanding again!!!

Wouldn't waste time on the candle snuffing gag myself but maybe that's just me.

Somebody mentioned pak sao too. Pak sao drill is very useful for developing that uprooting power, for sending that explosive energy back into your opponent's shoulder, centre and structure. However, I'd forget about relying on it as a tech for using against a strong, fast, returning, elbow-out punch. 1) It'll hurt/**** up your wrist if you hit their elbow and not the tiny ideal target just above the elbow, 2) it's not possible to aim at speed, and pak should only be used as an interception IF your hands meet in the middle: your aim is to strike him don't forget, not his arms!

Wall bag is always good. And heavy bag is also important. Just to add to the heavy bag thing, when you start, swinging it around like a crazy man seems great and it will start to build your punching power. But as you progress you should be working on doubling it over, not swinging it around excessively. This ensures that your power is going into the bag and not just pushing it around. Although I'm probably nitpicking and Bill (was it?) maybe agrees, rather than the idea of hitting THROUGH the target not AT it, the idea of hitting INTO the target not AT or THROUGH it will develop a harder strike, IMO. Unless you just want to push someone around that is.

EDit: oh yeah, of course chi sao will help develop a stronger unified body connectiveness too.

I have a wall bag, but my sifu recommended not tu use it as a boxer, hanging, that is, but instead have it stucked ina floor base to simulate a body. Maybe I should put it on wheels or something so I can see the progress as I movie it while striking it?

Remote controlled gyroscope mounted to a pulley system!

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy
    I have a wall bag, but my sifu recommended not tu use it as a boxer, hanging, that is, but instead have it stucked ina floor base to simulate a body. Maybe I should put it on wheels or something so I can see the progress as I movie it while striking it?
    I've no idea what you just said!

A wall bag won't move, unless you have very poor walls!

The wall bag is better for practising basic short punches in stance, or at least for practising the immediate rooting on impact. A heavy bag is better for practising movement and combinations because you go a bit nuts on it. You can't go nuts on a wall bag. Well I did once and cut my hand to ribbons cos I kept missing and hittign the screws and the doorframe.

BTW, you don't want what you're hitting to move so much. That will not help to develop punching power, except when you practising stopping the heavy bag on a backswing... but like I said generally you want to hit INTO the target, which you're not gonna be able to do if you're chasing it all round the room. That'll develop other areas, but not punching power.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfu cowboy
    Remote controlled gyroscope mounted to a pulley system!
    [shudders] DON'T! You'll get all the technicians clogging up the thread with their 'how to screw in a lightbulb' chat!

I' m sorry, i didn't mean wall bag, I meant heavy bag. Puta a heavy bag on the floor with a base with wheels.
    Last edited by r4cy; 01-30-2006 at 12:09 AM.

Mat,

if you try the MB stuff and you like it, let me know- I've got a sweet progression from there.

Andrew

I agree with Hendrik, to get the upper hand on someone larger than yourself, you would really have to utilize mulit-directional force...get them off balance and then deliver your strike.

When you strike, you'll need to have maximised your body mass through linking you body into one cohesive part...so work on your structure. Also refer to the ideas in the dummy form, leverage around him etc...
    S.Teebas

Good, now that you all have mentioned taking the opponent off balance. please I'd like some sugestions. Any technique familoiar with?

Quote Originally Posted by r4cy
    ...I meant heavy bag. Puta a heavy bag on the floor with a base with wheels.
    No. You don't want to do that to develop a more powerful punch. As I said, you want to punch into the target not push it around. If you want to practise pushing try the shopping carts in the supermarket!

Pushing is useful in a fight, as is crushing, uprooting etc, but they're different elements of wing chun to the powerful (penetrative) punch.

Good, now that you all have mentioned taking the opponent off balance. please I'd like some sugestions. Any technique familoiar with?
    No, I'm afraid not! Look at what most people, especially S. Teebas and Hendrik, have been telling you: we are all talking about principles of motion, not individual techs. You can get an opponent off balance with a punch, a tan, a bong, a lap, any number of techs... it's the basic training that's important. And that's the wall bag, then the heavy bag, and the chi sao and the dummy... well, the rest of the system really!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS
    if you try the MB stuff and you like it, let me know- I've got a sweet progression from there.
    Cheers! I'll look into getting one v soon!

More Sui Lum Tao

Quote Originally Posted by bcbernam777
    More Sui Lum Tao
    That doesn't mean anything unless your teacher can tell you what you're doing! It also has limited gains until you start working with resistance.