Thread: How's your bow stance look?

Boulder Student Guest

How's your bow stance look?

I recently set up my camera to shoot my stances as I was doing my tai chi form. I know what they feel like, but I had never seen them. Anyway, I was sort of surprised by what I saw. It seems that no matter which direction I going, my yin knee is an inch or two out of alignment with relation to my yin foot on a vertical plane. My kneecap and toe are pointed in the same direction, but the knee is forward in the same direction as the yang toe.

First, I have seen a lot of respected tai chi teachers with the same stance (mostly from 60's video and books), but if I focus on bringing my knee into alignement, I do feel more rooted. But instead of feeling 70/30 weight distribution, I feel closer to 60/40. What gives?

Any comments on your own experience and stances would be appreciated.
    :D

One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.

[This message was edited by Boulder Student on 03-29-01 at 03:30 PM.]

Water Dragon Guest
    Your teacher must suck if he can't even teach you how to do a **** stance!

Come and get me tough guy!! :mad:

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Boulder Student Guest

Water Dragon, your drowning me in your negativity

Cute response Water Dragon. I hope it was a joke. Where would I go to come and get you?

Water Dragon Guest
    Just south of Chicago buddy. You ran my zip remember?

If it feels good or better go with it. I'm playing with some Southern Mantis stance work myself. I see nothing wrong with 60/40. Experiment and then ask your teacher questions about the results. Make sure you show him a "this vs. this" scenario. If he can't help he is a punk and I will give you both a shot to the dome :eek:

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

Boulder Student Guest

The zip code only narrowed it down to a neighborhood

He looked at my stances and said I was doing well for my level(less than a year). Basically, I need to get a wee bit more flexible in the waist and I will be able to get the 70/30 with the vertical alignment of the yin knee and toe. Until then he said the knee was more important than the weighting, since I have progressed to the point where I am not double weighted with alignment.

Hip bone connected to the knee, huh?

I don't want to wander around that neighborhood looking for you. In my organic cotton patagonia shirt and shorts combo with the latest Nike Trail Runners, I might be making myself a target. I rather just come straight to your place.

[This message was edited by Boulder Student on 03-29-01 at 04:07 PM.]

Water Dragon Guest
    LOL. I just moved run a check on 46323 It's a much nicer neighborhood.

You're teacher gave you good solid advice-follow it.

Mr. Nemo Guest
    I didn't quite follow your description exactly, but it sounds like you're talking about bowing the back knee out when in bow stance, something that I was told to do when I took Yang style.

Curiously enough, I was also told that 60-40 was the correct weight distribution.

Overall though, I wouldn't get too caught up in percentages. If it makes you feel more rooted, you should probably go with it.

Taking pictures of yourself while in stances - That's not a bad idea.