Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rice Wine update!

Rice Wine update!

Ok, I took the rice wine and siphoned off the wine. It looks like watered down skin milk right now, but has a good kick to it. It tasts like a sour Saki.

I have about 2 gallons of a highly alcoholic "Mash" with the consistancey of gravy left over. I can't seem to be able to strain it as it is thick enough to clog the filters (I have tried several). Short of creating a small still, how can I get this seperated so I can use the alcohol content to either make jow, or rasie the octane of the wine I already have??
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

try clean nylons or heavy cheese cloth, it won't go through the fibres of paper filter but will likely get through those, let the liquid through and leave the sludge.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I used a screen strainer, and it just gummed up and won't filter through. It's too think.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 01-30-2006 at 07:28 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

That sludge is sometimes used in cooking - it can impart a very nice flavour on stewed chicken.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

are you using gravity or external froce to push it through the filter?
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Gravity. I tried to forced it, but the entire "Mash" went through. I may get cheese cloth, and try to squeez it thru that next.

For the Women:

+ = & a

OT, but is that you in that pic? if it is, you look different...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yes, it is me in that pic. I took it a few weeks ago in my living room.

I'm probably a bit thinnner, and much less injured than the last time you saw me.

My girlfreind (of 4 months) gave me a thousand dollar Cannon digital camera for Christmas, and I was playing with it shortly after the holidays. I had it on the tripod with a timer.

That pic is proof that Kung Fu fixes all. I'm half tempted to e-mail that to the doctor who said I'd NEVER do this stuff again!
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 02-01-2006 at 07:13 PM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Ok, I finally got my wine to clear. It appears that when you use a Champagne yeast the bubbles make it so the wine will not clear unless you stir them out.

My next mission is to build a little home made still. I think I will be useing an oversized comercially avaliable Turkey fryer burner, and an industrial 100 Quart stock pot.

I am thinking of getting a piece of aluminum about 3/8 thick to go between the burner, and the stock pot to regulate heat.

Any thoughts?

For the Women:

+ = & a

just buy some alchy.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Ok, I finally got my wine to clear. It appears that when you use a Champagne yeast the bubbles make it so the wine will not clear unless you stir them out.

My next mission is to build a little home made still. I think I will be useing an oversized comercially avaliable Turkey fryer burner, and an industrial 100 Quart stock pot.

I am thinking of getting a piece of aluminum about 3/8 thick to go between the burner, and the stock pot to regulate heat.

Any thoughts?
    Do the revenuers know what your up to?
    Solid Brotha...

- Dolemite

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    Ok, I took the rice wine and siphoned off the wine. It looks like watered down skin milk right now, but has a good kick to it. It tasts like a sour Saki.

Do you mean sake, or are you talking about something else?

mr punch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai
    Do you mean sake, or are you talking about something else?
    Unko, RD has the worst spelling of anyone on the board, don't call him on his Japanese: that's just mean!

LOL on my spelling!

No, I mean Chinese Rice wine. I think Sake uses a different multi part fermantation process. From what I can see Chinese rice wine is a recipe that uses rice, and raisens, or plumbs and is fermented once. Also, depending on the type of rice wine, different kinds of rice, and yeasts are used as well. Sake *is* rice wine, but it is a japanese recipe and different than Chinese rice wine (no rasins or plumbs).

Yellow liquors (黄酒)
    Main article: Huangjiu
    Chinese yellow liquors, also known as "huangjiu" (Chinese: 黄酒; pinyin: huáng jiǔ, lit. "yellow wine" or "yellow liquor"), are fermented wines that are brewed directly from grains such as rice or wheat. Such liquors contain less than 20% alcohol, due to the inhibition of fermentation by ethanol at this concentration. These wine are traditionally pasteurized, aged, and filtered before their final bottling for sale to consumers. Yellow liquors can also be distilled to produce white liquors, or baijiu (see below).

Chinese "yellow liquors" are classified based on several factors. Among them are the liquor's dryness, the starter used in its production, and its production method.

[edit]

Also see

http://www.wine-storage.com/ricewine2.html
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-21-2006 at 05:53 AM.

For the Women:

+ = & a

he just said that because you wrote "saki" which means "ahead"

its a common error.

interesting experiment you have there.

I saw a history channel show about how egyptians made beer and I just had to do it.

but I dumbly didn't leave a way for the gasses to escape and it went BOOM and launched a geyser of egyptian beer onto my ceiling...

oh to be 14 again

one thing I still want to try is the recipe for alcoholic Ginger Beer.

yum, ginger
    Words!

Just words!