Thread: Training Advice Please

Post Training Advice Please

Hi All

I've been into the arts for a long time. As long as i can remember.
    I studied Karate for about a year when i was about 11/12 as did many other kids.
    I also did kickboxing/street fighting for about 2 years when i was 15/16.
    Got the **** beat out of me every week by blokes 4 yeas older than me.
    After this i never did anything due to general life bull**** taking over.
    Now at 24 i feel i need to pull my life together.
    I've been reading loads about monks and enlightenment.
    I feel lost in this strange western world we live in.
    Your probably thinking where is this guy going with this.
    Well what i am asking is whats the best path for me to take?
    I was using Bruce Lee's 4 books a couple of years ago:
    Basic Training - Self Defence - Skill in Technique - Advanced .
    I only ever did the Basic Training with a little body conditioning.
    I have to start with my general exercise and fitness before i move on.
    But after that what do you think the best move is to take? ie:
    What style? which books to read? should i go to classes or use home study?

this my my daily training plan at the mo:

20mins running/skipping
    Tai Chi Legs + Arms [Master Wong's Tai Chi Combat DVD]
    Sit-ups
    Push-ups
    Kung Fu hand Forms
    Kung Fu Level Fist Techniques
    Kung Fu Stances
    All the Basic Shaolin Kung Fu Patterns

All the Kung Fu stuff is straight outa Wong Kiew Kit - The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu

Many Thanks

Duncan

I think it's probably best for you to seek out more formal instructions once you feel that you've hit a wall with what you have.

Styles are irrelevant at this point. I suggest something generic like northern long fist styles to build a base. You can always specialize later when you have a better idea at what your strengths are.

However keep a clear idea of what Chinese martial art is. It's not some magical spiritual reawakening, see it for what is it: A combative method from China. It has no more religious nor moral significance than boxing.

If you need spiritual guidance, go read some philosophy, Plato, Socrates, Descartes, Nietzsche will do you good. Keep in mind that eastern philosophy is no more mystical than western ones. I do suggest you to read the eastern thoughts to gain some insight into how Chinese think, this will allow you to understand the abstract ideas in Chinese martial arts better.
    http://individual.utoronto.ca/gfx/logo1.jpg

"A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

yea i understand "It's not some magical spiritual reawakening"

I've not had a magical spiritual awakening let alone a reawakening!!!

But i think the martial path is the best way for me.

I was just thinking about Taoism and wanting to develop/study this along with the Kung Fu at the same time.

Hence the Tai Chi...

Actually, if you're looking for taoist philosophy, you might try the Japanese style, Aikido. Lot's of good Aikido teachers in the U.K., and the philosophy is built right into the training program, without a lot of mystical "talk" but more "do". We don't just pay lip service to concepts like "no mind", and "harmony with the opponent", we actually do it. Just something to think about.

how much does Aikido go into qi or does it?
    been looking at Chi Gung also but this will take a long for me to get my head round it.

My experience with Qi, or Ki as the japanese call it, has been interesting. My opinion is controversial. I've only met one chinese Martial Arts teacher who could actually issue power like you read about in books. His name is George Xu, and he's phenomenal. Unfortunately, he can't really explain how to do what he does. He tries to, but none of us could seem to get it. I've known many, many internal artists who talk about Qi, George is the only one who could do something spectacular with it.

Now we don't really talk much about Ki, in aikido. Alot of schools do, I understand, but it seems way less prevalent than in CMA. The thing is, a lot of the teachers I've met can do what George Xu can... and they seem really good at showing you how. So, take that however you will, but I've had better success learning internal principals in Aikido, than in CMA.