Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Gym

Total Gym

I've been thinking about purchasing one of Chuck Norris's Total Gyms for the longest time. and with a larger than average tax refund check, Its becoming a more distinct possibility. you gotta admit Norris looks good for a guy in his late 50's. And well, Christy Brinkley, nothing needs to be said there. I know most things are not as good as advertised. So I was wandering has any one ever worked with a TG, that could give me some feedback.

Tim

ive heard really decent reviews and if i could ever pick one up used cheap i would.

basically i've heard that its right under the boflex as far as home equipment goes ... like a really decent number two.

free weights would be better, but the norris thing tries to combine cardio and all that with it so i guess its designed to be a lil different anyway.

i wouldn't spend more than 300 on it, and being that i lift and do other things for cardio (if not nearly as much as i should) i personally wouldnt even pay that much, but thats just me.
    where's my beer?

Or you could do what Norris or Brinkley REALLY do to stay in shape:

Practice Tang Soo Do for forty years, or diet hard and do yoga.

They don't look the way they do because of the TG.

The total gym is a neat piece of equipment though. It uses inclines and pulleys to leverage your bodyweight into different levels of resistance. It also can accomodate weights. If you are into machines and want one for your home it is hard to beat.

If you are into machines and want one for your home it is hard to beat.
    yeah thats pretty much what i was getting at.

i dont know that first hand, but i have heard it from people i trust. one of my best friends used his dads all the time and said it wasn't bad at all. he was 19 or 20 at the time and while i wouldnt call him hardcore he was no stranger to working out. his dad got fit as **** on it too. his dad is a military man who runs all the time and to my knowlege he still uses the total gym 6 years later so i guess it has its place.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 02-01-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    where's my beer?

When Chuck Norris works out, the Total Gym feels like it's being raped.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Machines are not my favorite way of working out, but I used the Total Gym to rehab from an injury several years ago and it is great. I don't use it regularly now,but I pull it out from time to time. It is a great piece of equipment and personally I would take it over the Bowflex any day. I think Chuck Norris actually uses it and has for years.

I'm not that into machines. I'm CMA first and foremost. To me the TG looks like what it says "total" You can get a pump. a stretch, and aroebic workout all in one workout. I work with free weight a little but find it boring as heck. Plus I'm not into running either. So for me I think a TG might solve a lot of my needs Thanks for the imput'

Tim

It really is a very flexible piece of equipment that you can accomplish a variety of training objectives with. It can be used for every thing from strength building to aerobics and it is easy and fast to change the resistance level.

I would just buy an 300lb Olympic weight set. I got mine for $109.00 at Sports Authority. There really is a lot you can do with regular old free weights including higher reps with lower weight to for cardio.

And I think Chuck is in his 60s.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

i love my olypic weight set and wouldnt replace it with anything except for maybe a mute asian chick who loved to clean and a suzi who didnt mind, but that said i think they are intended to do different things.
    where's my beer?

That I would agree with. Give me a hot asian woman thats into taoist sexual alchemy. I'll forget all about the Total Gym.

Tim

That would be the ultimate way to do the cardio part of your workout. No better way to keep your pulse rate up,

I personally highly recommend the total gym. I have practiced Kung fu and Yoga extensively and was looking for a weight training method that did not inhibit my flexibilty in yoga the way traditional weight training does. I had seen it for years on tv also, but never wanted spend $1500 to try it. So I went to http://www.craigslist.org/ and bought an el cheapo model second hand for around $75. I instantly fell in love with it.

The lower end models are good to get a feel for the product but the higher end models are MUCH more versitile. On the higher end models, you can add weight (up to 400-500 pounds depending on the model) to them, inclines are higher and if pilates is your bag there are attachements for pilates work.

I liked it so much that I actually bought their super high end model the Gravity Training System (GTS). I train all my private clients on it with a little free weights, swiss ball + heavy ball work. A trainer and practitioner it has been worth every penny, I just wish I had enough room in my studio for 5-6 more of them! Check out

http://www.efisportsmedicine.com/commercial.home.html

Having tried the Bowflex I prefer the GTS. Much more options and you can train a variety of modalites. The GTS/Total gym also really works intergration which you don't really get with the Bowflex.

Quote Originally Posted by ymotion
    I have practiced Kung fu and Yoga extensively and was looking for a weight training method that did not inhibit my flexibilty in yoga the way traditional weight training does.
    What do you mean by traditional weight training? With my Olypic set I do front squats, back squats, squat cleans, over head squats, deadlifts, clean and press and clean and jerk. These are all very traditional exercises and I have found that my flexibility in my hamstrings, inner thighs, lower back and shoulders has increased as well as my explosive power. I highly doubt you can achieve the same type of explosive power with a Total Gym.

Why would you spend $2895 + Shipping on the Total Gym GTS when you could get better quicker results with an Olympic weight set and a pullup bar for less than $200?

To each his own, I guess.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/