Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts university?

Martial arts university?

Ever since I found out that Chinese Universities had degree programs for martial arts, I’ve wonder if that would ever be possible here.

If you were to propose a degree program to a major university to create a well rounded knowledgeable martial arts capable of running his own school what would it consist of?

History, origin, philosophy and cultural impact rolled into one class for each of the following.

Kung fu 3 credits
    Shaolin
    Wu-Tang
    Arts of the Imperial Palace
    Arts of the professional army
    Folk arts
    Japanese arts 3 credits
    Sumo
    Akijujitsu
    Jujitsu
    Judo
    Aikido
    Korean arts 3 credits
    Tae kwon do
    Hwarng do
    Okinawan Karate 3 credits
    European arts 3 credits
    Sambo
    Savate
    Boxing
    Greek-o-Roman wrestling
    American arts 3 credits
    Capeoira
    BJJ
    Kempo
    Jeet kune do
    South East Asia 3 credits
    Kali, ect
    Muay Tai
    Burmese Boxing
    Modern Martial sports 3 credits
    MMA
    Kick boxing
    San Shou
    UFC
    Modern Professional and Military Arts 3 credits
    Krav maga
    World History of unarmed warfare 3 credits
    Business courses 12 credit hrs
    Practical Applications of Martial arts I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
    One per semester

Plus course common to physical education

Rape Aggression Defense
    Methods and Techniques of Gymnastics
    History and Philosophy of Physical Education and Sport
    Sports Officiating
    Anatomical Foundations of Human Activity
    Leadership Practicum
    Movement Theory and Motor Development
    Physiology of Exercise, plus lab
    Human Kinesiology, plus lab
    Psycho-Social Aspects of Human Activity
    Methods of Teaching Physical Education
    Tests and Measurements in Physical Education
    Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries
    Organization and Administration of Physical Education and Sport
    Facilities Planning and Design
    Gender Issues in Education and Sport
    Physical Education: Student Teaching Internship

What else? Why wouldn't a university do?
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 02-01-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I think it is possible even for 2 years junior college.

physical education, some anatomy, sport physiology, history, philosophy, etc,

i remember seeing a couple of american colleges that have that. but its only up to a minor or certificate and i think it has more to do with health science, opening a business or just for interest, rather than training fighters. if wushu hits the olympics though you might see it more.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Naropa University in Boulder, Colorado, has an accredited Bachelor of Arts program in "Traditional Eastern Arts". The three possible tracks of focus are Tai Chi Chuan, Aikido, and Yoga.

The Tai chi Link

The Aikido Link

The Yoga Link

I actually am very attracted to thier Aikido program, and would love to move to Boulder and study at Naropa University. The education requirements are in addition to general ed stuff. It's a full Bachelor's Degree.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 02-02-2006 at 01:01 AM.

Jack, their aiki program looks alarming touchy-feely! Not up your street I wouldn't have thought!

SanHeChuan, I think your course structure is a bit too arbitrary...

For a start, the kungfu should have at least as much acupressure, and TCM options as theory and history on the arts themselves. It is a university course after all... not another route to a black belt or teaching certificate.

Also, why do the Korean Arts get a whole three credits (you haven't even mentioned Hapkido and who the hell has even heard of Hwarangdo outside of Tekken players? ) when Thai, which is arguably as popular and influential and getting more so is lumped in with relative lightweights (in terms of popularity, not style) like Burmese boxing? I mean, sure Burmese boxing is probably quite closely related to Thai, but Kali?! Again questionably, but there were scores of Indian fighting arts, yet only kali gets a mention... there was a whole warrior class in India for a while before Confucius (remember, which eventually the Buddha belonged to?).

Notable oversights include the whole of European wrestling tradition and its evolution into catch etc... eg Lancashire, Cumberland, Cornish, Elbow-and-collar etc just in the UK. Also no mention of armed European arts, enjoying a rich tradition through Saxon and Viking arts to the knights and then into fencing etc. Plus European monks' arts... don't forget, Europe's monks were probably the same mix of ex-murderers, bandits and thugs claiming asylum and protecting their mentors' gold stash as the Shaolin ever were... warrior monks weren't limited to the east - remember the Crusades?! Don't forget, these things have been and are being studied in scholastic terms and in some cases as practical arts.

And talking of which, what about Middle eastern arts?

I think overall your idea is cool... and I was thinkign about the same thing the other day, but too much emphasis on individual arts and not enough on history, tradition, and especially the associated scientific study that's more difficult to ind in your average dojo/kwoon, like all of the physiology related list you have at the end.

Incidentally, there is a Budo University over here in Chiba (bit far for me, and I couldn't get funding ) : I'll check into their syllabus and see what I can find... I do know you major in two arts which you practise (every day I think) for the three years of studying other stuff.
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 02-02-2006 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Jack, their aiki program looks alarming touchy-feely! Not up your street I wouldn't have thought!
    Oh I like to be touched and felt as much as the next bloke. Seriously, I wonder about the few photos of thier aikido demonstrations but I like Saotome Sensei's aikido quite a bit, so it can't be all that bad, since he's one of the instructors. Is it the Zen requirements, or the sexy hippie chicks you object to? I'll take a heapin' helpin' of both please!

slightly OT...

...or maybe we're just evolving the T of this thread...

Know your major: sanda
    * Source: Global Times
    * [21:27 December 29 2009]
    By Xue Fei

Brimming with ancient wisdom and millennia of culture, there is a lot to learn in China, providing for some of the rare and unusual majors offered that are otherwise unavailable in other parts of the world.

In this first installment of Know Your Major, the Global Times touches gloves at Beijing Sports University (BSU) with young martial art masters in the making, getting the low down on the daily punch-up that is sanda school.

Femme fatale

There is a Chinese saying, "train either in the hottest days in summer or the coldest days in winter," which unfortunately for Duan Xunyuan is an accurate description of the curriculum.

"It is really tortuous, sometimes I just want to give up," said Duan, a sanda junior and one of only 16 female students in the program.

"Every time when I come back to the dorm and undress I find new bruises. You know, all girls want to look beautiful," she joked.

Studying since she was 15, Duan was a scrappy tomboy who often fought with local boys at home. However, she rarely uses her sanda outside the ring.

"We know it would be a disaster if we used it in our daily life. If we did, it would send people to the hospital and ever trigger legal disputes," Duan explained.

Kick out of history

Today's sanda, or "free fighting," is a modern incarnation of much older mixed-style kung fu and wrestling with elements of Western boxing. Scientifically synthesized for maximum efficiency in real-life fighting scenarios during the early part of the 20th century, sanda is taught to most Chinese military and police forces as standard hand-to-hand combat training.

Focusing on street practical throws, locks and grappling, sanda is now one of the most widely practiced martial arts in China. Notorious for its Lei Tai matches, a traditional Chinese competition format that was originally conducted bare-knuckled, sanda's no holds barred slugfests usually end in one of three ways: a surrender, one opponent being forced of thrown from the ring or a breaking of a bone/excessive bleeding.

Despite new regulations requiring the use of thinly padded gloves, the sport still is brutal, drawing not only blood, but also large crowds and many students.

"Sanda is usually considered to be a symbol of strength, but in fact, it's an art of wisdom which draws strength from the essence of taijiquan," Guan Yu, a sanda junior, told Global Times as he recounted his first match against a gargantuan middle school classmate.

Weighing 56 kg, the 13-year-old met his adversary – a 65 kg giant of a kid who had cheated during the weigh-in. Guan attempted a throw down, but found he couldn't lift his lumbering opponent off ground. He was swiftly pummeled and lost the match.

After the match, his coach imparted a bit of insight that Guan echoes today, "Sanda is not about rashness and rage, but rather strategy and wits."

Killer classes

Sanda fighters are constantly training, rain or shine. Before competitions, all athletes must participate in a month of intense conditioning, focusing on stamina, weights, technique as well as "fighting psychology."

"Other students' college life is mostly spent in the classroom, while ours is spent on training grounds covered in sweat," Guan said with a smile.

Taking their final exams in the ring, sanda students throw down for grades in matches held every May and December, all with the hopes of earning national-level certification, a requirement for being selected for municipal or national special police squads, both coveted jobs for sanda students.

During their tests and sparring sessions, although classmates are pitted against each other and don't hold back, whatever happens in the ring stays in the ring.

"We're opponents in class and friends outside. Nobody ever holds a grudge," said Guan.

Girls vs Boys

Although the tipped male-female ratio (4:1) would make for many a desert of a dating scene, Li Guoguan, a sanda freshman at Beijing Sport University, says sanda fighters are hot commodities back at home.

"Since not many girls choose this major and opportunities for us to meet girls are rare, most of my classmates have girlfriends in their hometowns."

However, Duan doesn't see her major an obstacle to love, but rather an asset. After fighting over 100 matches and getting the silver in the 2005 National sanda Championships, she sees female sanda fighters like herself quite the catch.

"Sanda girls don't only make great girlfriends, but also bodyguards for their men,"she said.

Warrior workout

Students at BSU let us in on some of their daily strength, balance and agility exercises anyone can do at home with minimal equipment.

Shuttle run

Mark off two parallel lines 30 feet apart and place two blocks of wood or similar objects behind one of the lines.

Sprinting as fast as you can, sprint over, grab one, sprint back and leave it at the starting line. Without stopping, run back and do the same with the second block. Repeat with 15-second rests in between.

Forward roll

Start in a squat position on the balls of your feet while holding your arms out in front for balance.

Tuck your head into your chest and start to roll forward onto the back of your shoulders. Keep your legs tucked in as you roll.

As you roll, keep your legs tucked in. Push off with your arms and return to the starting position on your feet.

Backward roll

Start in a squat position on the balls of your feet with knees and legs together, back straight.

Let your heels drop to the floor, tucking your chin to your chest and roll, point elbows skyward.

Put your hands on the floor near your ears and push off. Straighten your arms and feel your feet hit the floor.

Static weight training

Tie weights to both thighs and stand in a seated-position (squatting mid air), back straight, feet shoulder-width apart. Do 15-second iso-reps.

Dumbbell exercises

Keep your feet apart shoulder width, raise dumbbells out on both sides of your body.

Bend down deeply and then jump up with a kick forward. Keep both arms straight throughout the exercise.
    "Sanda girls don't only make great girlfriends, but also bodyguards for their men" Amen to that, sister!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post

Kung fu 3 credits
    Shaolin
    Wu-Tang
    Arts of the Imperial Palace
    Arts of the professional army
    Folk arts
    Japanese arts 3 credits
    Sumo
    Akijujitsu
    Jujitsu
    Judo
    Aikido
    Korean arts 3 credits
    Tae kwon do
    Hwarng do
    Okinawan Karate 3 credits
    European arts 3 credits
    Sambo
    Savate
    Boxing
    Greek-o-Roman wrestling
    American arts 3 credits
    Capeoira
    BJJ
    Kempo
    Jeet kune do
    South East Asia 3 credits
    Kali, ect
    Muay Tai
    Burmese Boxing
    Modern Martial sports 3 credits
    MMA
    Kick boxing
    San Shou
    UFC
    Modern Professional and Military Arts 3 credits
    Krav maga
    World History of unarmed warfare 3 credits
    Business courses 12 credit hrs
    Practical Applications of Martial arts I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII
    One per semester
    Under Kung Fu you skipped Contemporary Wu Shu, Internal Arts
    Under Korean, you missed Kuk Sul Won, Moon Mu Do, and Tang Soo Do
    Under Japanese you missed Karate (encompasses all style Wado Ryu, Isshin Ryu etc), Ninjitsu, Iado, and Aikijitsu
    Under SE Asia, you missed Pencak Silat and Krabi Krabong
    Under Military, you missed MCMAP (Marine Corp Martial Arts Program, patterned after Krav, but nevertheless an art of it own)

Otherwise I think UCLA or Berkeley would probably buy this idea. UCLA has a major in Sexual Studies. And Berkeley is liberal enough to buy anything. I bet they would just need professors to get this up and running and get a BS in Physicaly Education of Combative Arts.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

semper fi, brahdah!

The curriculum is good but more objective and structure is needed!
    I added a sample abstract:

Taekwondo 3 credit
    Background
    Origin: Arts from China (infuence) and breakaway from dynasty x
    Hwarangdo - figures; Shiila dynasty
    Taekyon; historio-graphical context (ancient and modern sources)
    Living legends/ example of taekyon vs modern TKD
    Shotokan - the forerunner of TKD most of TKD has Japanese roots due to Japan takeover of the Peninsula. Show example(s)
    How to distinguish?
    What about the Hapkido aikido connection? Sounds more like a 1 year course in itself The Korean servant who served as assistant to Sokaku Takeda! elaborate

Modern WTF/ITF and how they figure into the present system
    What about the new Korean offshoots like Hanmudo/Yudo etc.

What arts will be learned during the course?

p.s. I tried this at a local college but they deemed it too short term because it is not traditional American sports i.e. the programme will be viable for 2 years, then it will fall into oblivion. Perhaps if a good karate/kungfu movie comes out, you may get another year but in the long run, the programme will fail.

A summer programme may be better but again vacation time for kids/parents, people want to go away and school atmosphere is only suitable for a small minority of interested participants, as in a niche market!

Okinawan martial arts: Many are actually of South China Crane systems:
    Add an Okinawan MA category!

For Japanese MA: What about the Okinawan roots of Japanese karate, a combination of Tomari-te, Shuri-te or Naha-te
    NOTE: Prior to MCMAP, all training was usually on an individual unit basis and was a kind of judo/jujitsu with the 'expert' base martial artist.
    Last edited by mawali; 12-30-2009 at 11:43 AM.

the degrees you receieve in china are not recognised degrees anywhere else int he world. Heck, even in China, someone with a degree from the sport school isnt taken seriously in work. One of my co workers had a degree in boxing. He worked in our marketing department, handing out flyers. Very cool guy but sadly, he spent 4 years of his life doing something he cant use in life.

What would be the point of having a degree in MA? It wont make you a better martial artist.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    the degrees you receieve in china are not recognised degrees anywhere else int he world. Heck, even in China, someone with a degree from the sport school isnt taken seriously in work. One of my co workers had a degree in boxing. He worked in our marketing department, handing out flyers. Very cool guy but sadly, he spent 4 years of his life doing something he cant use in life.

What would be the point of having a degree in MA? It wont make you a better martial artist.
    one of them thar Librul Edgyumacayshuns is just downright stoopid. I'll skewl ya in them fine arts of trappen, sqwerl hunten, and sniffen the wind fer a new hefer up the holler.

Degree in Chinese Kung Fu at Henan University

Shaolin Temple works with university to enroll overseas students for Kung Fu major
    Source: Global Times Published: 2020/12/28 18:07:20

Performers stage a martial arts performance at Shaolin Temple scenic area on the Mount Songshan, Central China's Henan Province, July 13, 2019. (Photo: Xinhua)

Shaolin Temple in Central China's Henan Province and Henan University on Monday reached an agreement to jointly open a new major on Chinese Kung Fu, with a focus on overseas students, but the cooperation brought controversy on social media.

The major will recruit martial arts lovers from around the world and be delivered in Chinese. The course work will be delivered to degree (bachelor's degree, master's degree and PhD) and non-degree students, Henan University announced Sunday.

So far, what qualifications an applicant needs to be admitted, what courses will be taught, how students' performances will be evaluated, and what students will be required to achieve to graduate, have not been announced.

The news has sparked heated discussions online, with many saying that the Wushu major would be useless and impractical in modern times; even a waste of valuable educational resources.

"Why not use educational resources on academic researches or technological innovations," a Chinese netizen commented.

"Does a PhD student have to deliver PhD-level academic research? If it's just martial arts, it's really just a gimmick," wrote another netizen.

Some also expressed worry about setting up the major, suggesting it was a publicity stunt and for economic profits, after Ma Baoguo, a self-proclaimed "Supermind" Taichi master, was criticized for destroying a traditional culture and promoting "deformed values" for his indecent use of the martial arts.

Ma was knocked out within 30 seconds when he challenged a 50-year-old kickboxing coach to a fight in East China's Shandong Province in May, but later earned notoriety for his infamous video speech in which he refused to admit defeat, despite sporting a swollen black eye. His short videos on multiple social networking platforms soon saw endless memes and mocking of Ma.

But many still expressed their support, believing that the new major could help spread traditional Chinese culture to people overseas. Referring to karate and taekwondo, some hoped Chinese Kung Fu could be promoted to more overseas audiences, with sound and strict rating criteria issued to those with different levels of competency.

"We need to set up our own brand of traditional Chinese martial arts, a complete set of certification and grading systems, as well as a cultural affinity to attract more to understand Chinese culture," a netizen commented.

"It's a good thing to have a scientifically systematic discipline that specializes in the transmission of martial arts, which cannot be done without scientific theory. I just hope that China's real martial arts and the spirits of martial arts will be carried on," one said.

Famed for its long history and excellence in Kung Fu, Shaolin Temple attracts many Kung Fu admirers from all around the world every year.

The Wushu College of Henan University, which was officially established in November 2019, reached an agreement with the temple to train talents for the global transmission of martial arts, reports said.

Starting in 2020, the college selects 30 outstanding students every year from its freshmen. Following systematic training, those who are qualified will be sent to the overseas cultural center of Shaolin Temple as coaches after graduation, in a bid to foster the spread of Shaolin Kung Fu to the world.
    threads
    Slightly OT Shaolin-s-Buddhist-College
    Ma-Baoguo
    Martial-arts-university
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sacramento State's Combat U

Uriah Faber, Sacramento State announce first-of-its-kind martial arts university

The program is scheduled to fully launched this fall semester with workouts starting next month.
    Uriah Faber, Sacramento State announce first-of-its-kind martial arts university

Author: Staff (ABC10), Lora Painter
    Published: 10:09 PM PST January 18, 2024
    Updated: 11:32 PM PST January 18, 2024

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A UFC great is teaming up with Sacramento State University for a first of its kind martial arts university.
    "We're at a pivotal point. We're taking a step forward in making something that hasn't been available, available," said UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber.
    Faber, also a former MMA world champion and California native, and Sacramento State President Luke Wood announced the creation of "Combat U," a university-backed combat sports development program.
    Faber's "Ultimate Fitness" gym is one of the top MMA gyms in the world and is near the Sacramento State campus. He will serve as the program's executive coach.
    "What this is going to do is create access to higher education for people who often times would not have said 'my next step is going to college,'" said Wood.
    Sacramento State said the first-of-its-kind program is open to men and women. It'll also provide a pathway to a university education for students from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds and high-level opportunities for combat sports training and competition.
    "Super excited for the program. I think there's a lot of benefits to be reaped," said Logan Farrar, a Sacramento State junior. "It's a great opportunity for international students coming here. We're the first university in the world doing something like this, and it's a great opportunity."
    Combat U will provide professional-level instruction and competition opportunities in boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai and jiu-jitsu.
    "I can tell you interest has come from students all over the world," said Mark Orr, Sacramento State director of athletics.
    Current professional fighters and boxers will serve as coaches. Students of all levels are welcome, including anyone interested in health and fitness or for the competition.
    The program is scheduled to fully launched this fall semester with workouts starting next month.
    There's a vid behind the link.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

"If you were to propose a degree program to a major university to create a well rounded knowledgeable martial arts capable of running his own school what would it consist of?"

Seems like there's so much to unpack in the above sentence alone. For one, capability of running a successful school involves more than being a great martial artist. It also depends largely upon marketing ability. Therefore, sales training (how to take phone calls and schedule appointments), advertising (how and where to advertise to attract business), in person sales (how to close a deal and sign-up walk-ins), selection of location (remember....location, location, location), teaching exciting classes that make students stay.....these are only the few things that come to my mind as I type. Each of these areas can be a class unto itself yet cannot guarantee success.

I am also unsure of what type of person this proposed university is trying to produce. Is it someone with competent knowledge "about" the different martial arts or a master of a particular art? The latter can take significant part of a person's life. For example, there are boxing champions who have done nothing but box since childhood. Therefore, this achievement (of mastery and skill) under the curriculum you propose (with it's variety of arts from different parts of the world) is seemingly impossible to achieve in the time it takes one to enter and graduate from a university. Maybe I'm missing something here? If we're speaking of "book learning" about the different arts alone then, again, how applicable is it really for a person who runs a school teaching Southern Kung-Fu, for example, to know and be able to recite the history of Tae Kwon Do? It would do nothing for their business or to improve their students.

I'll be honest, as for the investment of attending university to become a great martial artist or great school owner, I would not recommend anyone put their eggs in that basket. Yet, if martial arts is a gateway to attend college and an education and marketable skill of some other sort is the goal then I think it's a great thing.
    Last edited by Lucky Bamboo; 01-20-2024 at 05:49 PM.