Thread: Need some advice on starting

Stranger Guest

Need some advice on starting

I have recently relocated and a lot of my recent questions have reflected my desire to start formal training in one of the "three sisters".

A lot of the advice that I have received has directed me towards schools that place a heavy emphasis on modern wushu as well as tai-chi, hsing-i, and pakua.

Of the more traditional teachers:

One name that has stood out recently is Sifu Bok-Nam Park. Unfortunately, Sifu Park's school is not exactly around the corner (easily two hour drive EACH WAY!) I don't think I could afford to go there more than once or rarely twice a week. Is that simply not enough time under the teacher's eye? Will teachers even work through a scenario like this, or am I destined to wait until I can live in an area where training is more accessible?

ninja turtle Guest

Ask someone who would know the answer......

Call Sifu Park, and ask if there i...... no, no..... go there when you know you will be able to speak with him in person. Explain your situation, make a good impression- maybe, if the planets are aligned just right, he will accept you as his student once or twice a week for several hours. And for regular classes go to a McDojo on a regular basis to learn what there is to learn- you can always learn something from someone, no matter what.

ninja turtle Guest

Ask someone who would know the answer......

Call Sifu Park, and ask if there i...... no, no..... go there when you know you will be able to speak with him in person. Explain your situation, make a good impression- maybe, if the planets are aligned just right, he will accept you as his student once or twice a week for several hours a day. And for normal classes go to a McDojo on a regular basis to learn what there is to learn- you can always learn something from someone, no matter what.

count Guest

Time well spent.

First of all, there are 4 sisters when it comes to the internals in CMA. Most people overlook Liu Ho Ba Fa.

I think that it would be well worth the trip to get the kind of quality you would get from Master Park. Personally I drive over 75 miles for my class. At first I would go 4 times a week but now I'm down to once a week for a four hour class. The quality makes it worth it and I just work hard on my own. I think that Master Park probably would not be objectionable. I understand many of his students/teachers only learn from him once or twice a year.À

Our newest exclusive web article

Ready to start Tai Chi? READ An Introduction to Taijiquan and How to Find a Good Teacher by Timothy A. Griswold

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart