Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choy Lay Foot Drunken Crane

Choy Lay Foot Drunken Crane

I'm going to learn this form in a seminar setting this Winter and I was wondering what people thought about it here. Any opinions?
    Always learning

CLF doesn't have a drunken crane form. If the set is from the Lee Koon Hung line then this name pops up from time to time. Somehow someone put the wrong english translation to the set. The form is Hok Ying Kuen or Crane Fist and has nothing drunken whatsoever. Since you are from NH my guess is you are learning it through a Wah Lum sifu. If so Sifu taught this form at Wah Lum and that is where the drunken name seemed to have appeared likely to enhance the appeal to US students since anything with "drunken" in the name is always popular.

If the form is from a different lineage then I don't know but I have never heard of a drunken crane set in CLF.

Good luck.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 02-03-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    I second what CLFNole said. There is no such form as drunken crane, in any lineage as far as I know....and I know quite a bit because I compiled list of forms from many masters and students all over the world.

The name of the form is Hok Ying Kuen or Crane Shape Fist.

I suspect the "drunken" name came about because the set has the Kei Lun Bo or "Unicorn Step." It looks like a drunken step. But the set itself is not supposed to emulate anything drunk...including cranes!!!

Drunken Crane! Good one. Is that like drunken tai chi, monkey, mantis staff?

This is interesting because when I watched a video of it, it did not seem to have the same quality the drunken forms that I've seen. It was taught to my Sifu by the late Grand Master Lee Koon Hong.

I'm still going to try to get down there and try to learn it.
    Always learning

It is 100% not a drunken form just an animal set. It is kind of short and has a different feel than most of sifus other sets. The power is different a bit more soft than something like Sup Gee Kow Dah Kuen.

Are there any videos that break it down, analyze it and demonstrate applications? Just wondering and anyways, I look forward to adding it to my colection.

It's going to be a busy weekend (sometime in March) as I will be beginging 2 Wah Lum sets as well.
    Always learning

No videos just have to work it out for yourself.

Good luck.

Sounds like a full plate. Don't spread yourself too thin.

Jack of all trades, master of none. You know?
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Full plate is absolutly right and I have given this much thought over the past few years. How many forms do you really need? I allready have more then I really need and what I have is tough to maintain as it is.

The main reason that I'm going down to do the seminar is the Wah Lum form 36 Hands. Over about 12 hours during a weekend we will learn part of 36 Hands (1/3,1/2 not sure), begin the basics for the Kwon do form that we will learn this summer and learn "Drunken" Crane.
    I'd be happy with just the 36 hands but why not learn some more while I'm down there?
    Always learning

Quote Originally Posted by Donkwoon
    Are there any videos that break it down, analyze it and demonstrate applications?.
    Tat Mua Wong put this form out in his panther video sert a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkwoon
    Are there any videos that break it down, analyze it and demonstrate applications? Just wondering and anyways, I look forward to adding it to my colection.

It's going to be a busy weekend (sometime in March) as I will be beginging 2 Wah Lum sets as well.
    I think I have what you're looking for.

http://www.makskungfu.com/products/videos/Video.html

It's the last video, you also get the Dragon Spear with it.

You might wanna call to order cuz I think we have DVDs now too.

Peace

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael
    I think I have what you're looking for.

http://www.makskungfu.com/products/videos/Video.html

It's the last video, you also get the Dragon Spear with it.

You might wanna call to order cuz I think we have DVDs now too.

Peace
    I've seen that video/DVD, Sifu does a really thorough break down of the Crane from many different directions.

The other form on the video/DVD is the Loong Hung Guan or Whirling Dragon Staff...not spear.

FP

Blog Entries
    If you want a sneak peak at Lee Koon Hung's crane form, watch this:
    http://hpccss.net/kevinchan/movie/pastmov4.wmv

It's not the whole form, but a taste of it.

Fu Pow,
    I didn't realize Ying meant shape, form, or appearance. So with Ng Ying Kune, the "animal" is just implied then. Interesting.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

123:

Yeah technically ng ying would mean 5 shape fist. Such as with hung gars sup ying kuen it would translate 10 shape fist but everyone refers to it as 5 animals & 5 elements. Just like everyone refers to hok ying kuen as crane form the literal translation would be crane shape fist.

Peace.