Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: who's the best wing chun guy

who's the best wing chun guy

Just wondering who is the best wing chun guy in William Chungs camp, and who is most senior???

Whoever he is he should go play with Emin Boztepe .... I was impressed with that guy's power. Though, I have to say, I've worked on some stuff since then and would like to have a real go at him. But now we're friends.

Man, just realised that all my crazy antics .... really, they expose me to stuff and I'm growing. Guess this is a good thing. Also a good thing I escaped my last fight mostly in one piece

I'm told it's Keith Mazza. I believe he fought in Extreme Fighting and won.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    Just wondering who is the best wing chun guy in William Chungs camp, and who is most senior???
    Out of the remaining students in the association, meaning the ones still with GM Cheung, the best is supposed to be Sifu Keith Mazza (he's something like 6'3" and 240lbs and has fought successfully in NHB events), from New Jersey.

My Sifu was with GM Cheung up until 94'. He learned TWC from Cheung himself in Aussie Land back in 86' and learned the whole Cirriculum in 8 months, returning back home here in 87'. There is also Sifu Rick Spain from Australia, who won the Hong Kong fighting championship back in 82' I believe, middleweight division (Spain is also no longer associated with Cheung). Another TWC practitioner under Cheung, his name is Joe (can't spell his last name), won the heavyweight division for that same year also. I've only heard good things about Spain, but have never seen him in action.

James

Important note: a lot has changed in the world of competitive martial arts since 1982. What cut it then could get you killed today.

Keith mazza seems to be the senior guy right now and yea I met him and he's a big mo fo.

Green Cloud,

Take a look at the link I have on my Signature. That's my Sifu's webpage (I'm trying to set one up here soon). There's some history and video(scroll down half way on the home page on the lefthand side and there they are). Check them out...

James

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Important note: a lot has changed in the world of competitive martial arts since 1982. What cut it then could get you killed today.
    I'm not sure what the rules where of the event, but I think Spain fought with a injured hand and still won.

James

Nice web site Sihing, what lineage are you guys from??? Did you check ou my site, The mook jung stuff that I'm diong is not wing chun just in case youre wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Pina
    Ray, could you elaborate on this?

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    Out of the remaining students in the association, meaning the ones still with GM Cheung, the best is supposed to be Sifu Keith Mazza (he's something like 6'3" and 240lbs and has fought successfully in NHB events), from New Jersey.

James
    Just curious - which events? Sherdog.com has no listing for a "Keith Mazza", and they're fairly complete.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

In 1982 I was winning a lot of tournaments standing on one leg throwing out side kicks ... of course, I was just a kid. But I watched the adult full contact fights too and it was pretty much the same .... side kick, side kick, roundhouse, punching, break.

I even think 1982 may have been pre ninja, pre star-spangled gi. It was definitely pre take-you-down----pin-you---punch-you-to-a-pulp.

In effect, things are different today. What cut it then could get you killed today.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud
    Nice web site Sihing, what lineage are you guys from??? Did you check ou my site, The mook jung stuff that I'm diong is not wing chun just in case youre wondering.
    Thanks for the compitment on the site.

Good question regarding the lineage. Basically Sifu learned WSL system back in the mid 70's while he was teaching/training Hung Gar and Woo Dip (a rare Butterfly palms system). At that time these were his main styles but he dabbled in other systems also. Then in 86' he travelled to Australia to train under GM Cheung, but was only able to stay in that country for a year, so he trained all day most everyday to complete the level 1 to 10 (Sifu level cirriculum) in that short amount of time. In 94' he decided to leave GM Cheung's association. Before that happened Sifu set up his own association, Canadian Wing Chun Kung Fu Association, to which Calgary is the headquarters and he is the Chief Instructor/Leader.

Yes I visited your site and watched some of the Mok Jong vid. Interesting stuff's, you have fast hands.

I have some vids of myself doing the mok jong and Butterfly swords on youtube.com, just type in WC and they are there.

James

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroGrrrl
    Ray, could you elaborate on this?
    tournaments have changed a lot since then, mainly due the popularity of san da, full contact fighting in general and mma. outside of muay thai, you rarely saw leg kicks, and you NEVER saw ground work. Also, that was almost 30 years ago. there have been many advances in our knowledge of proper training since then. So, the fighters from today would most likely be bettered conditioned than those of the past.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

PNE state fair

Quote Originally Posted by sihing
    Thanks for the compitment on the site.

Good question regarding the lineage. Basically Sifu learned WSL system back in the mid 70's while he was teaching/training Hung Gar and Woo Dip (a rare Butterfly palms system). At that time these were his main styles but he dabbled in other systems also. Then in 86' he travelled to Australia to train under GM Cheung, but was only able to stay in that country for a year, so he trained all day most everyday to complete the level 1 to 10 (Sifu level cirriculum) in that short amount of time. In 94' he decided to leave GM Cheung's association. Before that happened Sifu set up his own association, Canadian Wing Chun Kung Fu Association, to which Calgary is the headquarters and he is the Chief Instructor/Leader.

Yes I visited your site and watched some of the Mok Jong vid. Interesting stuff's, you have fast hands.

I have some vids of myself doing the mok jong and Butterfly swords on youtube.com, just type in WC and they are there.

James

Hey not to get off the topic but you mentioned Calgary, it brought back some memories. I used to work at the Calgery state fare, and also the PNE wich is the big one in Vancouver. I was the guy that did the Ginsu knife demos. Any way it brought back some good memories, just wondering if those fairs were still going on??