Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: who's the best wing chun guy

Blog Entries
    who's the best wing chun guy?

Man, I thought you knew. ME you dummy! And i don't even do wing chun!!!!

How do i know i'm the best, BECAUSE I SAID SOOO!!!

BRUCE LEE, AIN'T GOT NUTHIN ON...ME!

--MAKE NOTICE OF THE WINK JUST IN CASE I BURNED SUM BRIADGES (BREE-IDJUS).

OOps my bad I forgot you wng chun is 2nd to no ones

Blog Entries
    lol...........true, true!!!!

sirus

There may be some one better then him but he is wing chung legend. He is in a great movie and has his own clothing line. He really is a hard working sifu

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCasebolt
    Just curious - which events? Sherdog.com has no listing for a "Keith Mazza", and they're fairly complete.
    Don't think it is mate. I checked someone they referenced on their news page as having 14-0-0 the other day and he had one fight listed in their fighter's list. Can't remember his name. And I've seen Ryan Bow, my shooto teacher, fighting in tournaments with big promoters and big names, and not demo matches either, which aren't listed on his Sherdog record.

And I'm not there, and I've won at least 280 rooftop beimo using just my Iron Head techniques, against some of the finest fighters in world.

BTW, LOL at Watchman.

LOL you are so clever

Mat I have asked about this before what is a shooto teacher?? I thought the Japanese term for shooto means chop. I'm sure youre it means something else I just wanted to know what you are refering to

Sorry, I hadn't noticed.

The shuto which is a chop has a short 'shu' and shooto has a long 'shuu': it's a different set of kanji. That's why the romanization is 'shoo'.

Shooto refers to two MMA tournament 'styles', venues or formats or what have you... kind of like san shou or san da.

The 'shoot' comes from a leg shoot in wrestling etc and became Japanized, had kanji assigned to it and then came back to be romanized!

There is shoot-boxing and shoot-wrestling, and to be honest I don't know which is which, but I think I do shoot-boxing on account of Ryan starting out in Thai boxing (well after wing chun, but given his opinions on that we'd better not go into it!) and having in a large part a stand-up game first.

It was started by some geezer whose name I can't remember (Mamoru?) and there has been a video of one of his extremely brutal training sessions posted on here a couple of times with him ruthlessly beating people until they bleed with sticks etc. I think he started in kyokushin karate but again, I don't know.

Needless to say, the training techs have been modernized a bit since then!

The rules are basically the same as Pride/UFC except mostly they have no elbows (unless they have a Thai-shooto hybrid match which happens sometimes).

A lot of shooto fighters are hard-workers who can't break into K1 or Pride for various organizational and promotion reasons. The money in Shooto is a fraction of Pride/UFC/K1 and most of the fighters are in smaller divisions: top names get about 4000 dollars for a win.

If you go onto Sherdog and check up Ryan Bow for example, you'll get into a whole great list of fighters in shooto. Some of them are definitely A-list in MMA: Takanori Gomi, Joachim Hansen etc to name but a couple who have gone on to bigger and better things.

In my class we train boxing and muay thai for the first half (an hour and a half) and wrestling and jujutsu for the other half, and mix it up in sparring. I go primarily because I want to test my kungfu and I don't have the time or money to go into pro fighting. Largely the kungfu works OK with MMA gloves, but not if we're wearing boxing gloves! I do always naturally want to follow up with the elbows however! And it is nice to do a bit of thai kicking and sharpen up my combos a la boxing... the dynamics of the boxing hook has given me great insight into the WC hook from biu gee.

Thanks for the info mat, sounds like exciting stuff. Hey could you post that brutal video you spoke of?? Please forgive my morbid curiosity

I don't have it, but it's on here somewhere, so either search yourself or I will when I have the time.

Best

Did not your mommy and daddy or master tell there is no best? there is always someone better

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar
    tournaments have changed a lot since then, mainly due the popularity of san da, full contact fighting in general and mma. outside of muay thai, you rarely saw leg kicks, and you NEVER saw ground work. Also, that was almost 30 years ago. there have been many advances in our knowledge of proper training since then. So, the fighters from today would most likely be bettered conditioned than those of the past.

in past "regular" tournaments of past decades, yes. But if we go back further than this century, a lot of tournaments were brutal, and often to near-death. (Not often in Western areas though, although they probably had their undeground circuit.) Plus, even in this century, there have always been the seedy, underground, illegal NHB matches in China, in the dark recesses of cities, heh heh. Of course, it wouldn't be wise for someone to go there willingly, unless maybe you really needed the money.
    As always, stay strong, and keep an open mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Sorry, I hadn't noticed.

There is shoot-boxing and shoot-wrestling, and to be honest I don't know which is which, but I think I do shoot-boxing on account of Ryan starting out in Thai boxing (well after wing chun, but given his opinions on that we'd better not go into it!) and having in a large part a stand-up game first.

It was started by some geezer whose name I can't remember (Mamoru?) and there has been a video of one of his extremely brutal training sessions posted on here a couple of times with him ruthlessly beating people until they bleed with sticks etc. I think he started in kyokushin karate but again, I don't know.
    Shootboxing is basically Japanese san shou/sanda - kickboxing with throws. Shootwrestling cna refer to either generic submission wrestling or to MMA-type competition (which is usually shootfighting).

Shooto was founded by Sayama (forgot his first name), who was a pro wrestler under the name Tiger Mask. I'm not that familiar with the origins of the shooto organization, but I think it began as a shootboxing promotion and gradually morphed into an MMA promotion as similar groups (UWFi, Pancrase, UFC) came along.

Late 90's Shooto was top-notch MMA, especially for the lighter weights.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LeeCasebolt
    Late 90's Shooto was top-notch MMA, especially for the lighter weights.
    Cheers for the clearing-up Lee.

I think it still produces a lot of good lighter weights, BTW.

Green Cloud:

Here's that twat Satoru Sayama.

Maybe NWS ads.