Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Choy Mok Video

Blog Entries

Regarding Choy Mok Video

Regarding the Choy Mok video in the Southern Videos thread.

Looking at Choy Mok video does this put the rest the Choy Ga and Choy Lay Fut connection via Choy Gau Yee?

I don't even see a semblance of Choy Lay Fut in that form. The hands in Choy Mok are supposedly from Choy Ga and I just don't see any CLF in there.

So who was Choy Fook? Who was Ching Cho Wo Sheun? There seems to be some other influence in CLF that is missing in the Hung, Lau, Choy, Lay, Mok arts.

You are correct. CLF history is blurry as hell. . . . . . . and no one can ever stop arguing.

Hell, arguing about the "correct way to train" is FAR more useful than arguing about a piece of history nobody can prove anyways.

Peace

Choy Ga is a short to midrange style it consist of claw, phoenix eye fist, and trapping snatching techniques.

CLF has these similar techniques in their sets just applied in the Mid to Long range.

Also remember it is Choy Fook a monk who is credited with teaching Chan Heung.

Your sytles Founder was fortunate to combine these style and blend them with such fluidness.

Ask your Sifu about the comparisons.
    Last edited by Southern Fist; 02-07-2006 at 11:23 PM.

Can you post the link for the Choy Mok form? I learned Choy Mok and Mok Ga from my Sifu. Actually, just a few forms, my classmate learned a bunch and we've been taping them recently. I'd like to see it.

The video link is in the 'Southern Kung Fu Video Thread *Read Guidelines First*' which should be a sticky.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Fist
    Choy Ga is a short to midrange style it consist of claw, phoenix eye fist, and trapping snatching techniques.

CLF has these similar techniques in their sets just applied in the Mid to Long range.

Sorry, I just don't see it.

Choy Fook is not associated with Choy Gar. The name is the only thing similar.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    Choy Fook is not associated with Choy Gar. The name is the only thing similar.
    Right. But what I'm saying is that seeing this video really confirms it for me.

I agree with you completely just pointing out to the others who think Choy Fook = Choy Gar.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    are you guys saying Choy Fook was no Choy Ga Master? if not, what was it that choy fook was a master of?

hsk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    are you guys saying Choy Fook was no Choy Ga Master? if not, what was it that choy fook was a master of?

hsk
    wo bu zhe dao....I don't know???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole
    I agree with you completely just pointing out to the others who think Choy Fook = Choy Gar.

Peace.
    Cool...thanks for clarification.

The way I was taught was the Choy Fook was a siu lum monk. Supposedly some of the northern influence was due to him but I don't know if that can be confirmed. From people I have spoken to never was it mentioned he was a choy gar practioner and I don't think he had any association with choy gar's founder.

I think many people just put the choy's together. If that was the case my sifu Lee Koon Hung and Bruce Lee (Lee Siu Lung) must have been related since the have the same name along with a million other chinese.

Indeed, it is my understanding that Choy Fook taught northern Shaolin. I think it's also a case of people getting it mixed up with Jow Gar (which does contain Choy Gar, and it can be seen in the techniques), indeed I've even seen some Jow Gar sites which say that Jow Gar is derived fro CLF when they mean Choy Gar
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Ben, interesting point about Jow Gar being part of the confusion. The motto of Jow Gar is "Hung Tao Choy Mei" or "Hung head, Choy tail." The Choy in this case is Choy Gar, not Choy Lay Fut and the Choy in Choy Lay Fut refers to Choy Fook and not Choy Gau Yee.

I think at this point we have established that Choy Fook did not teach the same Choy Gar as in the "5 Family Styles" of Southern China.

So what was it? Li Yau San supposedly referred Chan Heung to Choy Fook, who was supposedly Li Yau San's sihing. But if Choy Fook was Li Yau San classmate then wouldn't it mean that Choy Fook knew some southern shaolin style?

If it was "Northern Shaolin" then what forms, techniques specfically might we share with other Northern Shaolin-derived styles?

Some of the stuff you can see is Southern because we share it with other Southern styles. But the Northern stuff is not as clear except for the overall extension of the arms.

Having seen some of the Chan Tai San guys stuff now I also wonder if Lama might actually the influence and not Northern Shaolin which seems to be more linear in nature.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 02-09-2006 at 01:22 PM.