Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rooting

Sho Pi Guest

Rooting video

Has anyone viewed the Eo Omwake "Balance and Rooting" video?

I am curious on the quality before I spend $40.00 on it.

Are there other videos that you would recommend for rooting?

Thanks

Kumkuat Guest
    Instead of rooting, you should try focusing on how to manipulate the ground path. Mike Sigman's (although I never seen them) videos at Neijia.com are pretty good I hear.

Sho Pi Guest
    I have neer heard of the ground path. is it similar to the concept of rooting?

Kumkuat Guest

I guess

I guess it is similiar. I am also a beginner at this, and I am still trying to practice it so I can use it well.

Anyway, all ground path is directing force to the ground. For example, as you're standing and someone pushes on the side of your right shoulder, the force of the push should direct to the ground under your left foot. Of course, you should be relaxed and have no tension at all. This is also the basis of peng jing.

I first encountered this from some taiji guys and later at one of Mike Sigman's seminars.

You can contact Mike Sigman at mikesigman@earthlink.net for more information.

Braden Guest
    It's a different way to describe rooting and related things, the mechanics are no different. I'm sure you didn't intend it this way, but you can create a ground path ipsilaterally too.

Stranger Guest

Rooting Scenarios

How do you generate power from your root if you are standing on a tricky surface like ice or loose heavy sand?

joedoe Guest
    Get her to lie down? :D

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Stranger Guest
    I walked right into that one. :rolleyes:

joedoe Guest
    Sorry. The opening was there and I had to take it :D

joedoe Guest
    On a serious note, I practise an external art, and I have never really tried using my stances on tricky surfaces, but wouldn't sinking into your stance still be the way to do it? Or am I talking crap?

Stranger Guest
    Instinctively, I would want to get lower too. My concern is that any attempt to generate power on ice may lead to my feet sliding and any attempt in heavy sand may leave my feet stuck/buried. I don't know the answer, and it keeps me up at nights. :confused:

patriot Guest
    I recommend Goodyear snow tires.

count Guest

Power on Ice

Remember that power isn't always issued horizontally.
    CTJ: watch out for those Goodyear's, especially if you are built like an SUV.ˇ

[This message was edited by count on 03-27-01 at 07:24 AM.]

tanglangman Guest
    The problem arises because the coefficent of friction is greatly reduced (for the case with ice) and hence any lateral movement runs the risk of losing grip. The answer then is to reduce the amount of force applied, at contact with surface in a lateral direction. In other words all the force that is generated against the ground should be perpendicular hence elliminating the risk of slipping. The alternative is to counteract the opposing latereal forces so that they are neutralised and this will leave you with perpendicular (vertical) force only.

I have no idea how you would do this practically though.

ninja turtle Guest

practice

Get the feel for doing the movements on the surfaces mentioned above by practicing- experiment. Get closer to the opponent so as not to reach(thus keeping more balanced.) Punch more, kick less.
    Sand or mud- keep moving so as not to be bogged down. Land your strikes with your steps. (throw/kick sand in opponents eyes then attack.)
    Practice some more- maybe your school would consider a "field trip".