Thread: Tiger Running Down Mountain???

Question Tiger Running Down Mountain???

Has anyone ever hear of a form called "tiger running down a mountain." Do you know what style this originates from? Thanks

Mung Fu Ha San = fierce tiger desends the mountain, from lungying and bak mei system.

Garry

tiger running down mountain

Is a form that begins from center with shoulder with apart and opening first to the right and then the left with the arms forming alomost a large tiger mouth while the right foot, when going to the right, comes to the laft in step, heel raised. Then, it moves into a series of blocks by crossing the formarms while waking forward in a sweeping step pattern with half steps...if that makes sense. Then it incorporates, from what i remember, the basic fire form from hsing-i..then a bit later there is a high block to the right and the left leg kick over the top, like you are kicking over the upper arm from the outside and squating on it while raising the persons arm to dislocate. the form then proceeds forward, towards the starting position and turn back around one more time before finishing.

Sorry for the limited and vague description.
    chikara

Mang fu Ha Sahn

Hi,
    I have a form "Mang Fu Ha Sahn" in my curriculum, which I have traced to Leung Tien Chu a southern Fut Gar exponent of Canton 1920's era. Either he created it or it may have been transmitted from another southern style.

Lots of single and double palms, double handed circular blocks, left handed clockwise circular block, back fists, upper cuts, double handed side swinging blocks.....

Why are you researching this named form may I ask ?

Cheers,

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

tiger running down mountain and ba bu da

I don't know if we are talking about the same form. This one is related to a form called ba bu da in that it contains many of the same movements. It is sometimes taught in conjunction with hsing-i.

Fierce tiger descended from the mountain.

Fierce tiger came out of the cave.

Fierce tiger returned to mountain.

etc.

These are common names used in many styles and they are different moves/postures.

Tiger may mean tiger claw/palm.

mountain may mean your waist or just you with two feet firmly on the ground like a mountain not moving.

etc

Smile Meng Hu Xia Shan

There is an old Kejia (Hakka) form named Meng Hu Xia Shan (fierce tiger comes down from the mountain). It is found in the Dongjiang Longxing and Baimei System. It has some ground moves (ie rolling) if I remember correctly. It's a very dynamic form.

It would seem that from the desription in the previous post that there is a move by the same name in Xingyi related arts. Very interesting indeed.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

In YKM we have a move or technique called tiger descends the mountain, where you step behind sweep and tiger claw as you trap the arm as the person tumbles down and away as if falling down a mountain..lol

Garry

This form is fairly long with over 50 moves and atleast 2 direction changes.... no ground moves..sorry. thanks though..I appreciate the info.
    Last edited by chikara; 08-29-2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: change

Fierce Tiger Comes Down The Mountain?

SPJ, I agree with you, many styles and particular movements incorporate this name, our Hong Jia Quan lineage has 'Fierce Tiger Descends The Mountain' where the legs are in 'Gong Bu' or bow and arrow stance and the body is parallel to the ground and the forearms are 'pressing' down towards the ground- its a defence against a medium/low kick. But this is just a short series of movements, not an 50 movements as chikara previously mentioned. Therefore I think this name/description is a very popular name in gongfu used to describe a wide range of movements.

Peace and Love

OFZ
    It's evident, my potential be infinite- The RZA

Mang Fur Har Shan, “Tiger Descending the Mountain”

Name of second hand set of T. Y. Wong's Sil Lum system. See www.kinmon.org for more info about which.