Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT: Duck Kung Fu

Exclamation IMPORTANT: Duck Kung Fu

DUCK KUNG FU? Are you kidding me?

I was looking at wikipedias "list of kung fu styles" and it listed duck kung fu. I searched around, but mainly got a list of food resources.

Anyway, my girlfriend isnt really into martial arts at all, but she absolutely LOVES ducks. They make her go insane, so I got a really bright idea.

TEACH HER DUCK KUNG FU. Dont ask me HOW im going to go about finding someone that actually knows this, but its my new mission. Before I begin to search locally, I was wondering if anyone on the forum knew anything about it/had some experience? Maybe they wouldnt mind providing a demo?

Any help greatly appreciated.

It looks weird.....like a duck

If you get hold of ''the kung fu years (feat jet li)'' there is a small section on duck kung fu.

Apart from that and maybe an internet video somewhere on my H/D, I have no other examples.

craig

all I remember was this guy walking with his knee sort of bent, think very narrow and deep horse stance and walking, kicking off dirt like a duck while shaking his bootie. and his hands were down imitating the wing. It is more of a duck style interpretive walk imitation. I am sure there is no fighting application, with the only exceptiion of freaking your opponent out and punching the living day lights out of him as he fall down laughing hysterically.

Google's first hit for "Duck Kung-Fu"

Duck videos

all in chinese only I believe
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

that's important?

I did an article on exotic animal styles in our OCT 99 issue - The Martial Menagerie: Exotic Animal Styles of Kung Fu - It was part of a Animal styles special done by request for the issue. I got Shaolin monk Shi Yanming to do the duck pose. He was familiar with it somewhat, but I'm not sure to what degree. It's not a common style at all, but it's extant.

The Chinese love ducks. There's even these rather obscure kung fu weapon that I like to call 'duck-on-a-stick'. Imagine if you will, double escrima batons with rubber ducks on the top, and then visualize the whole thing being made of steel. I think they are called iron duck clubs (tie ya gun) but I'm not sure about that. They are pretty rare. I've seen demos and would love to find a pair.

There's also a throwing weapon that's an iron duck. There's this whole myth about how it had razor wings that would pop out when thrown, but I've never seen that, just a reference and a poor line drawing.

DUCK = today's secret word
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I've seen two duck styles... one looks like a duck imitation (maybe more of a qigong exercise than wushu style), and the other looks like a chang quan style (it's not imitative).

The first you can see on the "This is Kungfu" dvd the second (mandarin duck boxing) is available on Chinese vcd.

Plumpub also offer a disk on duck imitation boxing http://www.plumpub.com/sales/vcd3/coll_animal.htm
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Ok, I admit...I didnt search all too hard. Thanks for the links though!

I wonder if my sifu knows anything about it. I just havnt had time to give him a call yet.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    I thing that duck style has some relation to Xing Yi Quan.

duck?

how about if when you punch i duck? or of you chop i weave? Hey Weave Kung Fu now we are on to something!

.....your weaving has nothing on my flapping

craig

If it sweeps like a duck and kiai's like a duck it must be Duck Style.

So the question is - are Duck Style players called Quacks?
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

The duck style i saw on "this is kungfu" was performed by an old gent and to me, looked more like a qigong method than a kungfu fighting style.

that compilation is kind of strange, it has some old traditional stuff and the old tai chi interspersed with the 1970's contemporary wushu forms, two man wu shu forms and not much in the way of traditional fighting styles. Mostly entertainment type stuff with the trads appearing seemingly to prop up to support the contemp stuff.

anyway, I wouldn't regard it as an applicable fighting method.
    Also, I wouldn't impose kungfu on anyone, gf or otherwise. If they want to learn, they will ask. When it is imposed, or 'pushed' the outcome will be lacking.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Mandarin Duck Praying Mantis

http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/frame.htm

scroll down the left frame, 5th from bottom. the chart shows 5 sifu known to teach the style.

no real info on the page.

but, I read somewhere that it had elements of tan tui and the mandarin duck kick was a specialty of the system and it was named such because mandarin ducks mate for life and always fly in pairs

?????

but I can't remember where I read that so...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

hee hee @ the 'first sifu of our style' application photos.
    Kung Fu is good for you.