Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Risk Management / Longevity

choy lee fut and hung gar

Wong Cheun Yip

86 yrs old

Hi Lung One,

You must be a student of Master Chan (Edmonton) or Master Chan (Toronto) or Master Chan (New York)...

Thank you for sharing this information - could you please also share the birthdate and desceased date for Master Wong? I am very happy to learn this info!!!

Cheers -

AQ

PaK Mei Grandmaster Cheung Lai Cheun 1880-1964

That puts him at 84.

Ao Qin

Wong Cheun Yip

1876-1962

Thank you!

Thank you Lung1!!! Do we know each other?

This thread is (thankfully) almost dead - I'll wait a few more days, but I've obviously been proven wrong about the Dragoner's living longer than other styles - well, not really, but overall, yes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed - I'll do my tally this week and repost soon.

Cheers - AQ

I know it's an old thread, but.............

Chow/Chu Gar SPM - Lau Soei > 76 (1866-1942)

Chow Gar SPM - Ip Shui > 91 (smoked like a chimney too) (1913-2004)

Chu Gar SPM - Cheng Wan > 86 (1923-2009)
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Exercise, diet and careful living do not extend your life.

NO style can make claim to longevity and no practice or food can make that claim either.

What you can do is greatly improve your quality of living through maintenance of well rounded health. Good food, good exercise and especially a good attitude are what are going to make you vigorous into your autumn years.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hung-Ga-
    Chow Wing-Dak was in his late nineties when he passed.
    Lam Jo is a hundred. I met him when he was 98 and he had a grip like steel, and fast hands!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Hung-Ga-
    Chow Wing-Dak was in his late nineties when he passed.
    Lam Jo is a hundred. I met him when he was 98 and he had a grip like steel, and fast hands!
    I know a gentleman who was an executive at Ford for more than 50 years. He is 101 years old and never practiced martial arts of any kind in his life.

He recently married, about 7 years ago and his wife is 96.

While visiting with them up at the cottage about a year ago, we enjoyed each others company and these two were on very little medication and ate and drank all the same things as we did, including beer tea and coffee.

When I asked them what the secret to their own longevity was, the answer was succinct and simple. "Attitude".

I truly believe it has everything to do with attitude and will and almost nothing to do with healthful practice beyond that making your longevity somewhat enjoyable.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I know a gentleman who was an executive at Ford for more than 50 years. He is 101 years old and never practiced martial arts of any kind in his life.

He recently married, about 7 years ago and his wife is 96.

While visiting with them up at the cottage about a year ago, we enjoyed each others company and these two were on very little medication and ate and drank all the same things as we did, including beer tea and coffee.

When I asked them what the secret to their own longevity was, the answer was succinct and simple. "Attitude".

I truly believe it has everything to do with attitude and will and almost nothing to do with healthful practice beyond that making your longevity somewhat enjoyable.
    I heard he had a friend who was also 96, who recently took a very young wife. When they asked him,'With such a young wife, aren't you worried about a heart attack?"
    He replied,"If she dies, she dies!"
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I remember about 30 years ago when I was in my teens, I read some books that said that those who practice "internal" styles have greater longevity and quality of life than those who practice "external" styles. Around that same time, I also remember talking to some adult guy who practiced Taiji who told me, "You would probably beat me in a fight right now, but because I practice internal martial arts, 30 years from now I'll be able to beat you very easily, because my internal training will make me more youthful and stronger than I am now, but your external training won't help you stay youthful."

Well, during the years since then, I came to realize what I suspected at the time; that good health and longevity have nothing at all to do with "styles," "internal" or "external," etc. It really IS about attitude, and probably genetics as well. I've seen a ton of practitioners/teachers of so-called internal styles who were in poor health, even for their ages. I've seen a number of same in so-called external styles who were quick-thinking and vital well into their old age. Besides, internal or external are levels of training. A practitioner of any style or system can be internal or external depending on the level they've achieved.

I've seen people in advanced age who have never practiced MA nor qigong and are in amazing shape. A couple years ago, there was a guy in England I think was 105 years old who ran a marathon. Another 100+ year-old was a guy who simply enjoyed working in his large garden, could have passed for 70. I'm not sure how old Jack LaLane (sp?) is now, but not too long ago, he still looked great into his 80s, and I doubt he practices any qigong (though I could be wrong).

So as far as lifespan having to do with styles, I have doubts. Although I have noticed that there have been a particularly large number of long-lived Hung Gar masters.

Chan Tai San's sifu (Jyu Chyuhn) was over 100 when he died

there goes your theory
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I also think LUCK has a lot to do with it.
    Tung Kong Hakka Chow Gar Naam Pai Tong Long

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmas5animals

Ip Man- about 80

his disciple- stll living-late 80s.

jpy chaudhuri

Age/risk management

The quality of life IMO is more important than longevity.
    Attitude and genes as well as diet and activity all can play roles plus luck- not being hit by a drunk driver or being shot.

I have mentioned Ip man and Ho Kam Ming(still teaching selectively). Ip Man's oldest son Ip Chun is on his 80s and teaching.

My yoga teacher lived to be 96.

Me/ 77 yrs-4 months- just got through teaching wing chun and working out.

Dad lived to be 93-- Till the end he threw wing chun punches (I taught him)as part of his activity.

joy chaudhuri