Thread: Qingdao revisited...

Qingdao revisited...

Hey gang,

I am now living in Qingdao and am looking for mantis folk in my area to train with. So far, I have been in contact with Shifu Zhang Wei Fu and Shifu Wang Yong. If anyone has any other contacts for me in the Qingdao area (or surrounding cities such as Yantai, Weifang etc.), i would appreciate any info you could provide. Feel free to contact me publicly or privately with any information or questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Neil Armstrong
    Last edited by ninjaboy; 02-21-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Very good

I know Sun de Long and his brother, he is serious business. a great gung fu master. call him before others

thanks guys, i will contact him this week. is that address the location of his school?

Please keep in mind that Sun De Long and Zhang Wei Fu are very close friends.

I have Sun De Long's card but I think YouKnowWh's information is correct.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

MY Mistake

Sorry RAF
    I thought he said that he was with Zhang Wei Fu already and was looking for more people to connect with.
    I see now that he said Zhang Wei Fang

My Mistake
    RAF is right I Would try to meet them both and decide on your own ZHang Wei Fu is very powerful as is Sun De Long
    I have only spent a few Days with Sun De Long Whereas i have Spent many with Zhang Wei Fu so i would say he is more Known to me and his son. Contact Him first.

Once Again IT shows how youth is redirected by Older Gung fu Brothers
    Thanks for being more accurate RAF
    Please forgive

RAF
    is it ok to give Master Zhangs info here?
    or can i do it privately in message?

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaboy
    Hey gang,

I am now living in Qingdao and am looking for mantis folk in my area to train with. So far, I have been in contact with Shifu Zhang Wei Fang and Shifu Wang Yong. If anyone has any other contacts for me in the Qingdao area (or surrounding cities such as Yantai, Weifang etc.), i would appreciate any info you could provide. Feel free to contact me publicly or privately with any information or questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Neil Armstrong
    Not mantis style (Hei Long) but there are a few of us (KFMers) over here. I'm in Shanxi and as my avatar suggests I'm always up for a spar.

Omarthefish is down in Xi'an in Shaanxi and he plays Baji.

Mat is just a short trip across the sea in Japan.

There are likely others.

I'm having a throwdown in September pending major life changes come on down then or whenever.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Chief QingDao Tai JI Mei Hua committee

Master Zhang Wei Fu
    Chief QingDao Tai JI Mei Hua committee
    tel: 86-532-3830033 fax = 3830011
    His hands are like steel.
    James

sorry guys, i edited my original post....it is indeed zhang wei fu, not zhang wei fang, as i originally stated....that'll teach me for typing when i'm tired...lol

simon m: thanks for the invite, i will bear it in mind. i, too, am always up for a little "exchange" and likewise, if you ever get to the qingdao area, look me up

sincerely,
    neil

Sure thing so long as you don't mind showing me how to find the brewery after.

Don't know when I'll be through though. My next two trips will probably be a Pingyao redux and Yunnan / Sichuan.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Qingdao International Beer Festival

A Beer Festival in China Has German Roots, but No Lederhosen
    查看简体中文版
    查看繁體中文版
    Photographs and Text by BRYAN DENTON
    OCTOBER 30, 2017

QINGDAO, China — Music. Tourists. Traditional food. Long tables crammed inside huge tents. And beer — lots and lots of beer.

It’s not Oktoberfest. It’s the Qingdao International Beer Festival, China’s largest celebration of lager.

If the festival looks like a certain German tradition, there’s a good reason. The city of Qingdao is home to the similarly pronounced Tsingtao Brewery, which was founded by German settlers in this corner of Shandong Province more than a century ago.

Since the festival started in 1991, the crowds have steadily increased. This summer’s celebration, which ran for much of August, drew nearly 40,000 people on its busiest weekends.

A small army of bartenders and servers kept steins full and glasses clean and at the ready.

In addition to Tsingtao, foreign producers like Budweiser and Carlsberg set up their own tents. Inside, the scene was raucous: Performers lip-synced to patriotic Chinese songs, women in skimpy outfits auctioned off traditional Chinese calligraphy, and more than one man felt the need to remove his shirt.

Locals come to enjoy the “re nao” atmosphere, a Mandarin term for “hustle and bustle” or “loud and chaotic.”

Qingdao’s festival may be of fairly recent vintage, but its beer-making tradition goes back more than 100 years.

At the turn of the last century, the city was a German naval outpost. The Germans brought beer and an architectural style that can still be seen in the buildings of the city’s Old Town.

The British who arrived later were suspicious of the local water and turned to drinking beer instead. In 1903, British and German settlers created the Anglo-German Brewing Company and began producing Tsingtao.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

continued from previous post

Through two world wars, foreign occupations and civil war, the brewery changed hands several times.

Tsingtao was nationalized in 1949, and despite the purges, starvation and displacement that accompanied the Cultural Revolution, it never stopped producing beer.

“Without beer, we don’t have life in Qingdao,” said Zhao Chen, a local who brought his extended family to the festival. For an audience of young and old, electric floats circled the grounds at sunset.

In addition to all that beer, there was plenty of food at the festival.

Attendees had their fill of chicken’s feet, sausage, dumplings and grilled skewers of spiced meat and squid.

At night, the scene became even louder and livelier, as patriotic anthems turned to techno and rock.

Deafening music and the smell of stale beer and cigarette smoke did little to dampen spirits as festivalgoers toasted one another from giant glasses.

Amid the never-ending toasts, I asked Mr. Chen whether he came to the festival every year.

“Are you kidding? This is more important than Chinese New Year,” he said, before sending his brother off to order us all another round.

Olivia Mitchell Ryan contributed research.

Follow Bryan Denton on Twitter: @bdentonphoto.
    I hijacked the Qingdao revisited thread in the NPM forum (because Qingdao is a major Mantis city) and copied this to the Beer thread too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart